• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this ?

I think I know what's going on. I had a similar issue when I rebuilt my front end. I changed everything except the torsion bars - thought I'd save some money. Mine was doing the same thing, settling back down onto the bump stops. I think the old torsion bar metal, after twisting thousands and thousands of times loses it's "spring" in the initial twist. You need to crank them up more and more as they get older, to get to the "newer" metal that hasn't been previously under strain and can therefore give some "spring" back the other way.
When your adjusting them on the jack you probably only need a few turns to get to the desired height but your not hitting the "new" metal. There's enough spring to hold the car up, but once you start driving they settle down again.
When you adjust them with the weight of the car on the springs you probably turned them more to get to the right height and therefore put the bar under more torsion than it's "usual" position and therefore it holds it's height.
You may be thinking now, what is this bloke talking about? You may be right - I could be talking bollocks. I just think of the old bar like a piece of elastic that's been stretched too many times - you need to shorten the elastic to get some tension. With the bar it just needs more twist compared to a newer bar.
I cranked the adjuster on mine a few times more (car still on the jack) and it's been holding fine ever since.
Just for the record, let me say that steel does not change with age just by twisting, unless you go too far and give it a permanent set ( fatigue), otherwise, like the famous rubber band, you can stretch it a million times without problems. Just don't go too far. As for the torsion bars in your car, I am sure they were designed so they wil not fatigue in service, including how much you fiddle with the adjusting bolts. Otherwise, there would have been a lot of engineers fired on the spot. I have adjusted those bolts myself to increase the ride height oh my 69 bird ( I have a deep oil pan) with no problem, but I have no good answer for you, just don't worry about " old steel" or fatigue.

I agree. It’s not an issue anymore. I’ve put a few hundred miles on it since then and taken it on a dozen of drives on rough roads calculating that mileage. It’s staying up now and handles sharp fast curves beautifully. I was contemplating a steering stabilizer prior. Now, I see no need. At 27 inches from the ground to mid/bottom fender lip. Tye car handles extremely well driving down a steep mountain summit through fast 65 mph curves. Like most people, I thought the correct thing to do is adjust them with car in the air. Manual says, otherwise. I’m not debating it. I’m just saying what worked.

Just wanted to see if your ride height has held. Any updates?

Auto Transport Service
Back