• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Cover with Windows Shut Tight or Crack 'em open?

Dibbons

Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
I store my '72 Satellite in the garage with a car cover (Noah). It's more like a carport, since there is no large garage door (in other words, like any other garage if the door were always open). I have been keeping all the windows closed, but recently I placed some damp rid on the floor of the back seat and it turned solid (was grainy powder) in no time. I wonder now if we should be cracking the windows open just a bit? Thank you.

DSC07347.JPG

Do you live near the coast or in a damp area? If so, it needs to be inside with the garage door down. Can you convert your carport into a garage?

I could add doors yes, and in the summer here a concrete/brick garage will cook anything locked up inside. There is a good deal of morning dew in this area during the other six months of the year. La Paz Bay is 12 blocks away.

I live 9 miles from Galveston Bay.... Nice and humid here most of the time.

Windows left down and mice get in, seen headlining under sunvisors gnawed on by moths also. If your relatively close to electric, you can buy small dc fan like used in a pc. To circulate air inside the car. Those old mopars are pretty drafty, even when new.

All depends on your climate. Here in the dry desert, yes we leave the windows cracked. In the wet states probably not.
Next to the coast? Store inside otherwise your screwed.

Ahh! That explains your screen name! I hate high humidity-last thing I want to do is break a sweat.

Mike
Humidity was 23% at it's low yesterday and 53% for the high. It's 36% as I type but that's going to change probably before the day is half over. The my screen name comes from my old email which was crankshaftkid. I'm a fan of the comic strip Crankshaft but someone already had that name so added 'kid' to it and got it. Also used crankshaftkid as a screen name on another site and people started calling me cranky so it got shortened lol

And I have a box fan in one window that's used to help keep the shop from getting so hot when the doors are down. That window has bars so I can leave it open. The plan was to have bars on all 4 window but never got around to it....

Humidity is high here in the summer with hot weather.
If the vehicle is also under a roof, that's a recipe for white mildew.
Not in direct sun.
In those conditions, I open the windows in the nicer cars and run a large box (noisy) box fan in them.
This circulates the air and prevent the mildew.
I turn off the fan and close the vehicle windows at night to prevent larger animals from getting in them.
From my experience, I believe the disturbance of air and noise also deters mice.
In other cars, I have placed screens over the open windows and run the fan 24/7 also with no issues.

Humidity was 23% at it's low yesterday and 53% for the high. It's 36% as I type but that's going to change probably before the day is half over. The my screen name comes from my old email which was crankshaftkid. I'm a fan of the comic strip Crankshaft but someone already had that name so added 'kid' to it and got it. Also used crankshaftkid as a screen name on another site and people started calling me cranky so it got shortened lol

And I have a box fan in one window that's used to help keep the shop from getting so hot when the doors are down. That window has bars so I can leave it open. The plan was to have bars on all 4 window but never got around to it....
I only have one window (in my office) in the main shop area but, I do have a mini split system A/C that I use when it gets too muggy inside, it rarely gets over 70* when it's really hot weather, over 85* in MI.
What do you think about a thread telling about B&Es in our shops? Has it been done?
Mike

Closed. High, dry, and dusty. Want to keep the interior clean. Carport shade. Easy life.

I use this in my popup camper stored under a 20x20 carport. Needs to be plugged inan ext cord. I have walls on the sides & rear but front is wide open. I also put a small pail of Damp-Rid inside as well as a bowl of white vinegar. Never had musty smell. I used a similar, older version in the 68' I use to have when covered & stored in the garage for the winter.
0427201304.jpg
0427201304a.jpg

I only have one window (in my office) in the main shop area but, I do have a mini split system A/C that I use when it gets too muggy inside, it rarely gets over 70* when it's really hot weather, over 85* in MI.
What do you think about a thread telling about B&Es in our shops? Has it been done?
Mike
About B&E body cars in our shops? Uh, think it's been done before but ain't sure about it lol

heated garage. el cheapo car cover on, mainly for minimizing sawdust, and when it rains, the overhead drips onto the convertible when door is up. top is up, windows usually open. ceiling fan on an adjustable timer.
(as i look back, honey is pulling in, top is down (not hers) and the cover is tossed in the back seat).
i think i left the heating enabled
mousetraps everywhere, inside and out. rarely get one inside. get alot outside

Auto Transport Service
Back