• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car lifts and anti skid coatings

bigaadams

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Hello forum, just finishing up a rebuild of a commercial alignment lift and find that I truly need an anti skid coating applied for driving on and off the lift safely if the environment outside the doors are a least bit damp/wet.

I am sure I am not the first person here to encounter said problem and hope to draw wisdom from those that have venture forth before me. I know many folks recommend sand and while a great aggregate, suspension in paint is an issue, sprinkling requires a real fast wet coat applied I would think first. As you can see in the pic...this lift is void of any means for traction. I got this used and have rebuilt it...thus the new paint, I saw no indication of a anti skid paint ever being there when I received this in a very used condition.

What have folks here found to be most effective and while not cheapo type person, would like it to be somewhat cost effective. I would love to find a couple gallons of what the Navy uses on surface ship decks.....where is a Army/Navy surplus store when you need them....that stuff is tough....

thanks....

IMG_4047.JPG

Why dont you spray a bedliner on it like T-Rex? Depending on pressure and distance you can achieve any texture.

Why do you need texture? None of the 4 post lift I've used had texture, the ramps have ridges in the center to help with traction to get onto the lift. What do your ramps look like? Good luck getting any true non-skid! Even heavy textured bed liner doesn't compare to that stuff!

my ramps as is the entire length of the runways are slicker than a baby's ***...smooth metal on the entire surface of the lift....thus the need for some cohesive substrate on the lift for the tires to gain traction...I knew I would eventually have to add a non skid of a sort but when prepping this lift I was more concerned at the time just getting it cleaned of rust dirt and debris, primed and painted as it was going to have to sit outside covered up till I got concrete pad poured so to move my other lift to and put this one in its place. Best product out there is this stuff....but I have not made inquiry...I know to be seated when I call...and yes most lifts have textured metal as in diamond plate...my other lift is as such...this lift....smooth, totally smooth

Chemsol Navy G MIL-PRF-24667, Non-Skid, Military Grade

Last edited:
thanks....I thought of bed liner but what I saw of this stuff is it is often kinda slick...I will look into T-rex....for some reason that comes to mind on what my son had put nn his new Ram bed and gate....

thanks....I thought of bed liner but what I saw of this stuff is it is often kinda slick...I will look into T-rex....for some reason that comes to mind on what my son had put nn his new Ram bed and gate....
I coated the underside of my car with it, and was able to achieve the different textures as I was learning to spray it. I think I got a 6 bottle kit with a schutz gun for <$200 & it is tintable.
I had Line-X in the bed of my 2500, it was about 1/8 thick and I never had things "slide" in it.
I would think anything that says military grade is going to be mega $$$

you are right on the mil spec stuff as to cost and if not found at a surplus store...going to eat your wallet in a single gulp. I am reading on all the different bed liners and some will address non skid...some don't, most all though stress tough anti-marring....I was DoD Navy for about 16 years before transferring to the DoD air force, that deck coating is first class material. Tougher than nails, excellent anti skid properties.

seems more than I am experiencing the all to familiar older BendPak lifts and traction loss...not sure of the newer ones but slip slide and spin does not make for a warm fuzzy putting a car on the runways

this is very much what I am experiencing...today when I did my first lift on this lift I have refurbished....spin was an issue as it wet and damp in my area...

Last edited:
I'd say for reasons such as these. Mine will be getting something put on it in the Spring....

That's funny... I've backed up a **** ton of vehicles onto 4 post lifts and never slid sideways. Maybe the combo of wet and skinny tires. I just don't see any spray on bedliner holding up to the torque needed to pull a vehicle up those ramps in reverse. I been surprised before though!

I agree with bed liner. I like Raptor liner. You can get the tint-able and get a pint of base coat in the color you want at your local paint supply store. Mix and spray.

IMG_0590.JPG

my lift I purchased some 17+ years ago is diamond tread steel throughout the ramp and runways and it has the powder coat finish that has held up remarkably well over all that time and I have used this lift extensively. I just wanted a second lift and go this unit in need of refurb with the two rolling jacks at a good out of pocket cost including the rebuild parts and all new cables included. Just they never had any traction coating that I can detect and even today by searching on their products seems only the replacement/upgrade ramps are diamond tread...while no snow in my area....the wet is with us quite frequent. And this is a bit higher lift at ground level compared to many as there is the alignment aspect built in with the slip plates and such and multi position turn table locators...will not take much to get a bit of traction I do not think, just want to do it once and be done....of course nothing lasts forever but recoating I want to keep at a greater interval as possible. Appreciate the comments and suggestions....looking at them all as they come in.....hope to read many more replies here.....

How about self-adhesive stair tread? 6x20 is a few bucks at the hardware store. If it wears, a heat gun will remove it to put on new.

Wonder how grip tape would do, the stuff you put on skateboards....no spraying, minimal prep and you can replace as needed. Just a thought

I had thought of the peel and stick pads but would take so many and the seams would be countless....want to avoid that look if possible...the runways are 20" x 16 1/2 feet the ramps are about 39" each..I do have these peel and stick on a set of drive on ramps that I have had in captivity some 30 years and they have held up well...

I just received a PM from a fellow BP lift owner that shows that factory finish lifts are 2 part epoxy paint with a light coat of sand mixed into the topcoat compared aside a piece of 36 grit sandpaper.....when he special ordered a lift some time back the factory sent a gallon of their epoxy paint along with the lift.....comparing to what it looked like when I bought one would never have known this....

sanded filled paint.jpg IMG_0500.jpg

this is the first lift I have used that was not at minimum made from diamond tread metal...I assure you with wet wheels on this lift...you going to have traction problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back