• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Sale Moral Dilemma (opinions needed)

My opinion.....the family needs to pay you what the dealers would. How you work that out in payments is up to you. My reasoning is:
  • If you sold it to a dealer they would have to pay significantly more than that price to get it from a dealer. You are doing them a favor by offering it at the same price with first rights of refusal
  • They already know that dealers are willing to pay a certain price for it...if you offer it to them lower, what is stopping them from flipping it immediately.
In the end, you could be a nice guy and there is a 50/50 chance of them being serious....or just taking advantage of you. If I was buying something that I couldn't afford, I would just say it wasn't meant to be. I would certainly ask if the price could be lowered, but if the answer was no....then I would have to mull over how serious I was about owning it. I would not be pissed at the seller for not lowering the price just because I couldn't come up with the funds. That is my problem....not the sellers problem.

You have the "bird in the hand" with the dealer.....offer it up to the owners sons for that price and if they hem-haw....sell it to the dealer and don't look back.

Sell for as much as you can get. The future father in law gave it to you to pay for the wedding and get you guys a good start. You have more of an obligation to him than the other guy, that said if he gets really close to the asking price, a bird in the hand you know.

I know they are brothers. And i know it was their dad s. But who ever heard of 2 men owning one car ? Especially a sports car. I think yhey would soon sell it.

Hey Gents,
i am having a bit of a moral dilemma. as some may have seen. i have recently been given a 1977 Corvette from my soon to be father in law. it is in immaculate shape and a true survivor. in an attempt to gain more information about the car, i contacted the selling dealer for more information, they unfortunately had nothing since they only keep records for 7 years. however, the sales manager was a personal friend to the original owner whom passed away in march. he got me in contact with the original owners sons. whom have now contacted me interested in obtaining the car once again. here is my dilemma. the car is a survivor and sits at 17,471 miles. i have been contacted by two collectors so far who are willing to pay full asking price for the car. (18,000) where the original owners sons are not able to spend that much.. what would you guys do in this situation? i have no true attachment to the car. my father in law has given us his blessing to sell the car(he didnt really enjoy owning it, was always too worried about it getting messed up) so no worries there. i would love to get the car reunited with the original owners but would also greatly appreciate the money from the full price sale.
thanks for your opinions.

Sell it as fast as you can!

Why?
I have my Wife's 78 Silver Anniversary Corvette (25th Annie. edition) she has owned since 1989
4-speed
L-82 Engine
Oyster Leather interior (New)
Best I can get is $12K to $14K
Great shop
Never seen rain/snow
80K miles
These little Vettes are NOT on the Collector RADAR
So, dump it.

IMG_1331.JPG

Take 18 and run. Weren't they about 180 HP? Friend had a 78 Anniversary. A dog. And leaked like a sieve too.

If I found my dad's original car I'd pay what the seller was asking just to get it back no matter what I had to do. If the original owners sons want it back bad enough, then they'd find a way.

Sounds to me like it's priced fair.
I'd tell the guy you have two offers for $18,000, but since your father once owned it, you can have the right of first refusal........for $18,000. You don't owe him anything. If he want's it, he'll pay the price.

I've owned several Corvettes,not all have brought a
profit,most have.
I'd sell to the collector,if the family really wants the
car,let them deal with them.

Got a few more details. So I was wrong about one thing. It was not for his wife. I made that assumption because the name on the plaque was “Jan Jackson Wilks”. That is actually the guy who purchased it originally. And I discovered he sold the car to open up a race car shop. Which is currently still in operation and owned by the son

Well,.... I look at it a different way. It's not like they (the family) came looking for you. You contacted them through the dealer. If their Dad just passed away this past spring, that would explain their interest in getting the car back. For all we know, they have had interest in it all along, but had no idea where the car may be. Odd coincidence that you were checking out the background of the car only to find out the previous owner just passed away this past spring.

The other thing to look at is that if the "Collectors" you are talking about have actually seen the car before making their offers. Offers can always go down once they come to see the car. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a very nice car. I'm just saying if they haven't seen the car, or made a formal written offer, there is no guarantee that they will actually follow through with their initial offer.

I can understand the family's desire to want the car back, and I can also understand their hesitancy at the price if they have no idea what kind of condition the car is still in, especially for an unplanned purchase you weren't expecting to make. If it were me, I would do as others have suggested and see how close the original family is willing to go in matching the price. I would give them detailed pictures so they can see that it is still in good shape, and let them decide what they want to offer. As others have stated,... if they come close,... sell them back the car. Remember that you have nothing into it, so if you get an amount close to what the collectors offered, you are still good money ahead to put towards your wedding, down payment on a house,... whatever you and your new wife decide together, ....AND they have their Dad's car back. Win/Win for everyone.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Got a few more details. So I was wrong about one thing. It was not for his wife. I made that assumption because the name on the plaque was “Jan Jackson Wilks”. That is actually the guy who purchased it originally. And I discovered he sold the car to open up a race car shop. Which is currently still in operation and owned by the son

Still a good reason for sentiment. If I was the son, I would want the car my Dad sold to open the shop I am now running. That being said,... I would still tell him what you were offered and see if can match it, or at least come real close ($15k or more).

Why?
I have my Wife's 78 Silver Anniversary Corvette (25th Annie. edition) she has owned since 1989
4-speed
L-82 Engine
Great shop
Never seen rain/snow
80K miles
So, dump it.

View attachment 635157
Not to get off topic, but Ski is that your gremlin ? Cool !

Why?
4-speed
L-82 Engine
Great shop
Never seen rain/snow
80K miles
So, dump it.

View attachment 635157
I'd rather have the gremlin !

My advice is, take or leave it...
Honest opinion...
Don't let sentimental value or some bleeding heart BS
sway your decision...

Get as much as you can...
I'd jump on that $18,000
you have a fish, now hook it & land it

those years generally don't bring anywhere near that much "usually"
even in great shape
they really aren't under the collector car radar "yet"

IMO they'd do the same thing, if the shoe was on the other foot
look out for #1

It'd be different if they were friends or family etc.

If the former owners kid/son {?} wanted it 'bad enough'
they'd find a way to come up with it & step up...

a few extra $$$ thousand $$$ will go a long way in wedding planning
look out for your future wife & what the org. intent from the Future F-I-L
to use it for...

good luck on the future nuptials

Last edited:
I’m gonna go a tad bit different tack.. Keep the future wife happy- what are her thoughts? Otherwise, go for top dollar.

I’m gonna go a tad bit different tack.. Keep the future wife happy- what are her thoughts? Otherwise, go for top dollar.
she wants it gone. she has no love for cars.classic or otherwise. the money is whats important to her.

Paid 15k to get my dads car, probably about what it was worth in its current state. If he wants it he’ll get the money.

13D1D11B-B8B5-4492-8F1B-04B930A49830.jpeg

If it was the original owner or an only child who has memories my response might be different.
But given that there are multiple descendants I have a hard time understanding why they cannot come up with the full price between them if they are on the same page.
I suspect family differences.
Sounds a little odd to me.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back