• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Sale Moral Dilemma (opinions needed)

Corvette prices are all about condition, originality, milage driven, documentation and ownership records. A mint Corvette that year in question, never abused, never hit or taken apart and in perfect condition can bring that type of money to the Corvette enthusiast. There is no hard and fast rule and even less desirable ones can command higher dollars depending on a given car.
Good luck to the new owner, sounds like everyone is happy!!

Well I decided the karma was worth the slight price drop. Agreed to 16k with the original owners son! He’s driving up this weekend from Tennessee!
I think you made the right decision and he did come close to asking price. My suggestion was going to be, what ever the difference was from 18 and his offer, get parts for your car(s) from his shop to get back to 18K. That's just me thought, if your are happy with the sale that's all that matters. Congratulations on your engagement! Remember happy wife happy life!:D

You did the right thing selling it to the family.

It's a win win, happy wife happy life!

I was certainly skeptical and also not afraid to tell him no if he shows up with a dime less than 16k. I did do my research though. I found The original owners obituary and did pass away in may and when talking to the son he said his dad sold it to start a the shop he owns and runs now. Well I looked up the website for the shop and low and behold it says established 1988, the year of the sale to my father in laws friend who ten years after that sold it to my father in law. And I didn’t need my bachelors in psychology to recognize the absolute joy in the guys voice when I agreed to meet him on price. At this point I’m pretty convinced the car is going to the right place, that or this guy is A really REALLY good con artist lolol but I’m leaning towards the former haha
Thanks to all of you for your input
Not a penny less, who paid the Sales Tax on the $16k?
Sons gets the car.
Your soon to be wife gets the money for the wedding or better yet house hold stuff or really better yet, your children's future.
Your soon to be father in law sees what kind of a man his daughter brought home and decided to keep.
You made everybody concerned, happy, big Browne points for you.

Last edited:
I caught this thread late, but I'm really glad you sold it back to the original owner's family! Some things in life are way more important than money. Sure, a couple thousand dollars would be nice and come in handy, but it would soon be forgotten and spent. The decision you made will never be forgotten, you'll feel good about it and you made some people happy. Not to mention, you not knowingly, most likely gained respect from your Father In Law who gave it to you in the first place... as well as your Fiance!

Good deal, sounds like a happy ending for everybody... God Bless!

Auto Transport Service
Back