• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb backfires

Satellite74

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks
I've had a few annoying problems regarding the 318 in my 74 sate backfiring through the carb, It seems that this is this is a topic that crops up fairly often and can be due to a fair few things ,primarily the basics : timing ,vacuum leaks ,worn cam lobes, stuck or bent valves etc but it looks to be pointing to vacuum issues and timing .The engine is cali spec and looks to be bone stock, that being said at some point someone has taken off and blocked a few of the vacuum lines I know the backfire is just a process of elimination but my thinking is whilst doing this could I take advantage of this swap my intake and bypass some of the vacuum system or just remove anything unnecessary altogether.
So I suppose my questions would be is how much can you get rid of to make the engine as simple as possible ,
failing that a vacuum diagram would help out immensely!!
Any help or advice would be really appreciated
( apologies if this post shows my mopar stupidity)

If you want it as simple as possible, you can literally get rid of all the vacuum lines except for the vacuum advance, brake booster, and heater/a/c system. None of the other crap is necessary. I have a '73 318, thats what I did... Hope that helps.

I had a 383 that would back fire out the carb and tail pipe, if you adj the timing to idle good, it would back fire off idle. you adj timing off idle it would do it at idle. pulled my hair out It turns out the dist. mechanical advance was rusted and wouldnt work.

Auto Transport Service
Back