• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb. for a 383 9.8 to 1 compression.

To the OP: what you have there is a modified motor and carb. Without pulling it apart and actually measuring things, you don't know what you've got. The "half dome pistons" can give you a really wide range of actual CR, depending on block milling, head milling and other mods. A Barry Grant carb is who knows what.

A 3310 will do great. I’m not sure why guys want to undercarb their 383s, but they do and lots of people say the 750 will be undriveable for some odd reason. People slap a 750 on a 350 Chebby and don’t look back. Mopar guys worry about throttle response where they don’t.

Your 383 will pull what it needs and run well. It’s not like it’s a 1050 dominator. You have some tuning issues it sounds because the 650 should run fine on it. It’s just leaving a lot on the table. A lot. Take that from somebody that has run a 3310 on a 383 after having a smaller carb.

Mopar guys also worry about overcarbing a 500” stroker and ruining throttle response, after they go and put small port heads on one.

People do because of the cfm calculators. I use that as minimum but default higher. I ran an edel 650 and later an edel 800 avs on a mild 383 Chrysler, I had a lot more fun with the 800cfm. Could reach higher rpm for one thing. But the 650 ran good cruising around town and for many ppl that is enough. I now run a 950cfm on 499ci and am pretty happy with that.

Another thing to remember is that a simple speed trick on a 383 back in the day was to get your hands on a 750 avs and bolt it right on. Totally stock look to any passerby.

It appears some people have not heard the term 'throttle response'. Mopar guys worry about throttle response because they are smart [ post # 22].
There was a reason Mopar used a smaller carb on a 383 than it did on a 440, even though the same cyl heads & cams were used.
The size of the carb, & the type, should be determined by the engine/car specs. A mild engine, heavy car, will perform better with a smaller carb.
A 3310 Holley has large throttle blades, 1 11/16" pri & sec. A 625 AVS/AFB has 1 7/16" pri blades & 1 11/16" sec blades. It will be more responsive off idle & at cruising speed on a mild engine where the engine will not be able to use more 600+ cfm at peak rpm.
A souped up 383 will be able to use more airflow, & an 800 TQ with small primaries will give best overall performance.

On my low perf 383 daily '70 driver the 3310-1 on a DP4B was excellent. Very little carb tuning needed. Performance was as good as could expect from a small cam low CR motor. Just say'n. If can find a good 3310-1 you will be happy.

It appears some people have not heard the term 'throttle response'. Mopar guys worry about throttle response because they are smart [ post # 22].
There was a reason Mopar used a smaller carb on a 383 than it did on a 440, even though the same cyl heads & cams were used.
The size of the carb, & the type, should be determined by the engine/car specs. A mild engine, heavy car, will perform better with a smaller carb.
A 3310 Holley has large throttle blades, 1 11/16" pri & sec. A 625 AVS/AFB has 1 7/16" pri blades & 1 11/16" sec blades. It will be more responsive off idle & at cruising speed on a mild engine where the engine will not be able to use more 600+ cfm at peak rpm.
A souped up 383 will be able to use more airflow, & an 800 TQ with small primaries will give best overall performance.

^ exactly what I said, just restated wrong. Guys worry about throttle response like there will be some huge dead spot with a 750 on a 383. It’s a nonissue, even with stock internals. Small port heads just aren’t going to have stalled air in them. If you actually drive one back to back with a small carb, like the oem avs and then out on a 3310, you’ll not find throttle response to be a concern, and find power through the range. The 750 avs is a time honored upgrade for a 383 for a reason.

There are many factors as to why mother put the smaller carb on the 383, we don’t have to consider them today. Just like the f body gm stuff can’t be as fast or faster than the corvette, you can’t have a 383 roadrunner keeping pace with a GTX you charged a bunch more for. A 750 and a guy spinning a 383 higher will cause some flak, and leave you open to more warranty claims.

^ exactly what I said, just restated wrong. Guys worry about throttle response like there will be some huge dead spot with a 750 on a 383. It’s a nonissue, even with stock internals. Small port heads just aren’t going to have stalled air in them. If you actually drive one back to back with a small carb, like the oem avs and then out on a 3310, you’ll not find throttle response to be a concern, and find power through the range. The 750 avs is a time honored upgrade for a 383 for a reason.

There are many factors as to why mother put the smaller carb on the 383, we don’t have to consider them today. Just like the f body gm stuff can’t be as fast or faster than the corvette, you can’t have a 383 roadrunner keeping pace with a GTX you charged a bunch more for. A 750 and a guy spinning a 383 higher will cause some flak, and leave you open to more warranty claims.
Don‘t think anyone mentioned a 750 AFB. According to reports I read they were very well on a 440, wonder how they would work on a 383?

What I read into the OPs post is that he just wants the engine to run 'right'. It has stock heads & stock manifolds & sounds like a modest, if not stock rebuild. That means he does NOT need a carb that provides enough flow for the engine to pull to 6000 rpm.
The very large r/s ratio of the 383 is going to make it even more sensitive to carb sizing at low rpms. You have to go through the low rpm range to get to the higher rpm range...
That is why choosing a carb with smaller primaries will pay off. While the 625 AFB/AVS are not called spread bores, in operation they act the same. Small pri for great throttle response, big secs for power.

Post #29, 440 4 speed.
Bigger engines need bigger carbs. There are no 750 carbs on lawn mowers, lol....
The carb flow/size also has to be sized to the engine tune & the amount of air the engine needs to make peak hp.
A 383 that has aftermarket ported heads, big cam, headers, single plane intake is going to make peak power at a much higher rpm than a 440 motorhome engine. It will likely need a carb that flows more air.
750 AFB does work well on a 440, but the 440 has 15% more cubic inches to feed than a 383.
A smaller 625 AFB would better on a stock-ish 383, which is why Chrys used the 625s.

What I read into the OPs post is that he just wants the engine to run 'right'. It has stock heads & stock manifolds & sounds like a modest, if not stock rebuild. That means he does NOT need a carb that provides enough flow for the engine to pull to 6000 rpm.
The very large r/s ratio of the 383 is going to make it even more sensitive to carb sizing at low rpms. You have to go through the low rpm range to get to the higher rpm range...
That is why choosing a carb with smaller primaries will pay off. While the 625 AFB/AVS are not called spread bores, in operation they act the same. Small pri for great throttle response, big secs for power.
A 750 will work fine on a stock 383. Off idle, midrange, up to redline. It’s what’s been done for decades. Last one I did was still a Chrysler assembled long block with a new timing chain. Should I type it again in bold so you will actually read it? I already laid the deal out and as I said, probably the reason is the small port heads like having less restriction at the end of the tract. If you want to go and put a 500 cfm carb on a 383 that‘s cool, I don’t care. It just won’t run as well as one with a 750, LIKE MYSELF AND COUNTLESS OTHERS HAVE DONE FOR DECADES.

Last edited:
Trying reading what I said pal. I never recommended a 500 cfm carb, nor would I for a 383.
Working 'fine' does not mean it will provide the best performance for this engine. Do I need to type it in bold? Countless people thought the earth was flat....but they were wrong.

I say again a Holley 3310 will be an excellent carb for a fairly mild 383, been there done that.

But I am a Holley guy, Never got the hang of Carters.

Trying reading what I said pal. I never recommended a 500 cfm carb, nor would I for a 383.
Working 'fine' does not mean it will provide the best performance for this engine. Do I need to type it in bold? Countless people thought the earth was flat....but they were wrong.

Your reading comprehension is as poor as your advice. Nobody said you recommended a 500 cfm. It’s merely to show i don’t care what you want to do, it has no bearing on the situation.

let me switch to bold again so you might read and accept the reality - a 750 cam carb will give better performance on a 383 and not have any drivability issues. It will have better performance throughout the range as the engine will pull what it needs and that will exceed what a smaller carb can provide.

the reason you keep getting blown up on this board is because you demonstrate no experience with our cars. Personally I’ve previously seen you prove to us you don’t know how a carb is tuned and also I saw you get called out on an electrical question on here.

You are in the midst of mopar guys, people who have been there and done that with these cars. You aren’t hanging out at a cruise night with 5.0 mustang boys that will just smile and nod when you are wrong about a mopar and they don’t know it.

Your reading comprehension is as poor as your advice. Nobody said you recommended a 500 cfm. It’s merely to show i don’t care what you want to do, it has no bearing on the situation.

let me switch to bold again so you might read and accept the reality - a 750 cam carb will give better performance on a 383 and not have any drivability issues. It will have better performance throughout the range as the engine will pull what it needs and that will exceed what a smaller carb can provide.

the reason you keep getting blown up on this board is because you demonstrate no experience with our cars. Personally I’ve previously seen you prove to us you don’t know how a carb is tuned and also I saw you get called out on an electrical question on here.

You are in the midst of mopar guys, people who have been there and done that with these cars. You aren’t hanging out at a cruise night with 5.0 mustang boys that will just smile and nod when you are wrong about a mopar and they don’t know it.
You're wasting your time arguing with 'throw your Holleys in the trash' guy...

Most of the above is misleading and wrong starting with the last thing he says and that’s the smaller primary TQ on a 382 is better than the large primary TQ.

110% wrong wrong wrong.
Been there, done that, never ever put the small primary TQ on any 383/400 in favor over the big TQ.

Throttle response is improved with a larger primary carb. 110% fact, been there and done that. MANY TIMES!
This is true but also wrong. Been there and done that many many times. The larger carb, even though it’s potential of 750 or greater cfm worth of flow will never be taxed much less seen, will provide better throttle response and over all power in all driving rpm’s.

Even there done that.
This is convoluted. The 625 is not a spread bore nor does it act like one. It is a square bore carb and always has been always will be. It has always been seen as one. There’s a huge difference between the slight offset in the sizes of the throttle blades and a Thermoquad, Rochester carburetor.
Post #29, 440 4 speed.
Bigger engines need bigger carbs. There are no 750 carbs on lawn mowers, lol....
Ridiculous- next
The carb flow/size also has to be sized to the engine tune & the amount of air the engine needs to make peak hp.
Incorrect. That’s why there are small 600 AFB carbs on 440’s. A 1966 Imperial comes to mind with its AFB without the secondary velocity valve over the secondary side.
A 383 that has aftermarket ported heads, big cam, headers, single plane intake is going to make peak power at a much higher rpm than a 440 motorhome engine. It will likely need a carb that flows more air.
750 AFB does work well on a 440, but the 440 has 15% more cubic inches to feed than a 383.
A smaller 625 AFB would better on a stock-ish 383, which is why Chrys used the 625s.
Partially correct. Emissions and fuel mileage were also part of the plan. Carter sold the 750 at a higher cost. Hence why it wasn’t on every vehicle that could benefit from one.

As someone above mentioned, (@Some Car Guy) I am starting to agree and wonder, do you actually work on your cars? Do you even own one for real or not? The crap I’m reading here is neck deep in BS.

Problem is, @beanhead is probably 100% correct.

Last edited:
To all those from post #35 & up:
- I worked on my first engine in 1964. Haven't stopped since......
- I have forgotten more than most of you will ever know....
- I have tuned more carbs than you have had hot dinners...
- How many of you have designed an engine? I thought so, zero. I have.
- There is nothing wrong with my reading skills, but some of you sure have comprehension skills...& lack knowledge of basic physics & engine functions.

Now down to specifics:
- Some Car Guy, you introduced the idea of a 500 cfm. Not me.
- The OP has a single plane intake. That means EVERY cyl sees ALL FOUR throttle bbls It also has exh manifolds, so it's top end is going to be limited. A smaller carb such as a 625 will supply more than enough air for THIS combo. For the Holley lovers, using the H chart, a 383 that maxes at 6000 rpm [ unlikely to be that high] requires about 570 cfm at 6000 using a veeeeery generous VE of 90% [ probably closer to 75% with exh manifolds ] . Anything larger would do NOTHING.

- Rumblefish. Your post #37 nonsense.
Try reading first before trying to 'get even' all the time for all your errors that I keep pointing out.
- I did not say a smaller TQ was better on a 383 than a big TQ. [ But it would be ]. What I said was the smaller AFB/AVS would be better on THIS 383.
- throttle response is improved with a larger carb. Is that right? And it is not 100% fact, but 110% fact. And apart from your opinion, who else has a test or report of this 'fact'. Silly Chrysler, should have made the TQ pri bores 2" for unbeatable t/response.
- 'This is true but also wrong'. What am I missing?
- And you missed ANOTHER point. I carefully pointed out that while a 625 Carter is not called a spread bore, it acts like one. That is because the spread bore concept of the smaller primaries for economy/response, & the larger secondaries for power is what spread carbs were designed for. The 625 Carters have small pris, bigger secs.
- not quite sure about the nonsense with the 66 Imperial. 'Small' 600 AFB, but vel valves removed from secondaries which would reduce the restriction & provide more flow.
- Carter sold the 750 AFBs at a higher price? Maybe in your 'mind'. But not in reality.
I have a 1988 PAW catolog. 500, 625, 750 Carter AFBs. All $149 with choke. Even if the 750 was sold by some for a higher price, I doubt a hot rodder would buy a smaller carb if he deemed the bigger carb was what he needed.

And now for the Coup de Grace.

I have to thank Just Mopar Joe for this.

In the last few days, he dyno tested his 400 engine, RPM intake, headers, Edel heads, roller cam, 750 carb. It made just over 500 hp. A bigger 1050 carb was then fitted & it made the same power....because the engine didn't need the extra air.

The OPs engine is not going to make anywhere near 500 hp; which means it needs less air & a smaller carb [ of the right size ] will provide better response & mileage & just as good top end as a bigger carb would.

Yeah, that is your usual response when you throw mud & get caught out.

Auto Transport Service
Back