• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb. for a 383 9.8 to 1 compression.

What does being Australian have to do with anything?
Nothing. He happens to be from Australia, and I made a notation of it. That’s all there is to it. Making fun of him from being from Australia. I’m not making fun of Australians. I said nothing derogatory about Australians. I will make sure that it’s from Australia and I want to see our friend show us how stupid we are by the engine. He designed and built. Nothing more nothing less.
If he was from North Dakota would you say Let’s see what our American HERO has to say?
Yes
Is this thread really helping anyone?
Not anymore
As far as carbs go. Back in the day the only backfires that I saw involved Holleys. An acquaintance burnt part of his jacket putting a Holley fire out. Never saw a Carter catch fire.
Whoa!

Last edited:
I aint a snowflake, but deriding somebody based on where he lives is pretty ****.
Normally I agree but then again, I’m tired of being stoned by the exact same thing so I replied in kind in the same manor.
99.9% of every assume I ever met on the net or in person have been absolutely top notch people.
I feel sorry for the OP coming and asking for some advice and it devolves into a chest beating ego debate. Embarrassing and pathetic.
I agree and there’s no ego here but the other guy…. LOL!

Backfires through the intake have zero to do with the carb type, and everything to do do with the tune/tuner. I've seen Carters catch those stupid foam air cleaner elements on fire more than once. Not the carbs fault!!

And sorry to the "offended" here but if the new "resident guru" was from the USA, he'd be getting his pants handed to him just the same.
Don’t want to get into a long conversation. I was referring to bone stock carbs and air cleaner’s this was back in the 50’s and 60’s cars. I think it was something to do with the flapper flipping back or something along that line. I have very little knowledge about carbs. Just was explaining my personal experience.
The point I was making, why make a point of nationality? If someone from another country makes a different opinion, is it because of their nationality or because it is their own opinion?
We supposedly are in this group to help people as far as I understand.
My humbly submitted opinion.

The point I was making, why make a point of nationality?
This I understood and fail to see how it was made into such by a mere mention that he is from where he is. I’ll do it again now and wonder if that person will take offense to the mention of where there from as a offensive and derogatory way.

So what do you say my Canadian friend?

If someone from another country makes a different opinion, is it because of their nationality or because it is their own opinion?

An opposing opinion is fine. Being out right wrong it’s something that should be notified and corrected.
We supposedly are in this group to help people as far as I understand.
My humbly submitted opinion.
I agree. So let me ask you something! If I was to say all Canadians are backwards *** in breed morons that can’t tune a carb worth a crap much less right their way out of a paper bag, would you be upset? Pissed off big time? Discussed at the comment? All of the above? More than what I listed ?

I wouldn’t blame you. In fact, I think you might have a few words to say about it. Maybe even a few choice words. Wouldn’t you?
Be honest, if someone insults you, your country, your people, is it OK?

How much of that **** will you allow to be shoveled down your throat? Will you still be quite and smile?

Tell us all how you would feel at such insults.

Personally I think you would stand up for your beautiful and awesome country. Wouldn’t you?

Last edited:
Oh your good Rumblefish. The Sidestep must have been your favourite dance at dance school.
The reason I have not taken the bait & will not be taking it. All your derogatory & personal attacks do not show my character.
They show yours, the lack of it.
It takes a real low bastard to attack a person's country & the guys above got it right.

The internet is a cesspit for lame **** arguing where there is no end. This thread is a prime example.
It wouldn't happen in real life, someone would be knocked on their ***.
If it was on the phone, one party would just hang up.
Who's going be the bigger man and quit this crap?

Oh your good Rumblefish. The Sidestep must have been your favourite dance at dance school.
You’re the master at it.
The reason I have not taken the bait & will not be taking it
All your derogatory & personal attacks do not show my character.
They show yours, the lack of it.
Lame excuse. Your showing your “Side step” dancing skills here.
I hope you don’t mind the mirror up in your face.
It takes a real low bastard to attack a person's country
Haven’t done that. But none the less, an excellent attempt at sub diffusion.

Last edited:
In your first post you mentioned half domed pistons which makes me question the compression ratio. How far down on the hole are they at TDC what pistons and heads are they, (stock heads came in several camber sizes) have the heads been milled and what head gasket?
906 heads. Original manifolds. Had to change to a shorter electrode on plug/ piston was barely striking a few. It is getting better for now after running a couple of gallons. Of 93 non ethanol then fill up with 93 ethanol blends. It is a work in progress as we all know to find what our cars like. LOL. Block was not milled or heads.

Thanks for all the help and info. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what is the best set up for the motor you have. Getting info from my other car guys is always a big help. I am 68 years old and grew up working on motors of all kinds. Know some motors are more finicky than others. Just have to find what makes it happy. Did not want a drag racing motor but my motor builder got carried away a bit. The one thing is start with one point and go there first and don't change too much or you won't know the real problem to start with. I have read all the input and it was grate too here from all of you. That is why I joined the forum think there is a great bunch of men here. Believe you guys have covered most of the points of what could be my problem and have been working on it. Change the primary jetting. Too 76's and that seems to have had a grate response to my problem. Know the car was running too rich. Just by looking at spark plugs. 9.8 to 1 compression on the motor dose change things some. After doing a formula on the 383 my carb should work fine. If this does not do well. Then my increases the cfm on my carb size. Don't want to over Carb. the motor. Thanks again too all for the info given. Blue. :thumbsup:

Ok, let's cut to the chase. Holley 3310. Tune it and forget it. It's what we did, not only on 383's but many other engines as well.

Blue68runner - A couple things that could help us, help you. What are your idle and cruise manifold vacuum? What are your initial and full ignition timing? Are you running vacuum advance? If so, how much vacuum advance in degrees and at what vacuum does it actuate? Is it connected to ported vacuum or manifold vacuum? Is your car’s transmission automatic or manual? What is the rear axle ratio?

I have been running a Barry Grant Demon 750 CFM vacuum actuated secondaries for about 10 years on my 383. I am running the original jets in the carburetor. I did buy a set of springs to change when the secondaries open and a set of cams to tailor the accelerator pump shot. I am running a Mopar 474 cam and find this carb with some tweaks to timing (lighter advance springs), vacuum advance and carb adjustments have improved the driving and performance response of the engine.
Ron

Ok, let's cut to the chase. Holley 3310. Tune it and forget it. It's what we did, not only on 383's but many other engines as well.
Best straight fwd answer yet.
I've run every possible scenario of 383s right down to 10.50s ( yes stock crank rods) even including a version just like the OPs with L2293Fs and stock heads on the street.
Which isn't a great great combo due to poor flame travel from the "12.5" pop tops, requiring very good fuel. The actual compression might very well be in the mid- upper 10s.
That combo touched 12.90s with a decent holley and headers. It ran about 13.50s in the previous guys car with a thermobog.

This I understood and fail to see how it was made into such by a mere mention that he is from where he is. I’ll do it again now and wonder if that person will take offense to the mention of where there from as a offensive and derogatory way.

So what do you say my Canadian friend?

An opposing opinion is fine. Being out right wrong it’s something that should be notified and corrected.

I agree. So let me ask you something! If I was to say all Canadians are backwards *** in breed morons that can’t tune a carb worth a crap much less right their way out of a paper bag, would you be upset? Pissed off big time? Discussed at the comment? All of the above? More than what I listed ?

I wouldn’t blame you. In fact, I think you might have a few words to say about it. Maybe even a few choice words. Wouldn’t you?
Be honest, if someone insults you, your country, your people, is it OK?

How much of that **** will you allow to be shoveled down your throat? Will you still be quite and smile?

Tell us all how you would feel at such insults.

Personally I think you would stand up for your beautiful and awesome country. Wouldn’t you?
If someone from another country made the comment about being a CANADIAN in the context used. I would take affront. If that someone made the comments only to myself, that is very different. I had an unpleasant incident with a fellow from Montana many years ago. I did not mention anything publicly about it. Nor did I insult U.S citizens, I have personally met a least a 1000 people if not more in the U.S. and only had one remark about Canadians, that person might have been joking. In most cases on sites, I will send a PM if I disagree with an opinion.

If someone from another country made the comment about being a CANADIAN in the context used. I would take affront. If that someone made the comments only to myself, that is very different. I had an unpleasant incident with a fellow from Montana many years ago. I did not mention anything publicly about it. Nor did I insult U.S citizens, I have personally met a least a 1000 people if not more in the U.S. and only had one remark about Canadians, that person might have been joking. In most cases on sites, I will send a PM if I disagree with an opinion. Hopefully I have answered your question sufficiently. All is fine here.

Blue68runner - A couple things that could help us, help you. What are your idle and cruise manifold vacuum? What are your initial and full ignition timing? Are you running vacuum advance? If so, how much vacuum advance in degrees and at what vacuum does it actuate? Is it connected to ported vacuum or manifold vacuum? Is your car’s transmission automatic or manual? What is the rear axle ratio?

I have been running a Barry Grant Demon 750 CFM vacuum actuated secondaries for about 10 years on my 383. I am running the original jets in the carburetor. I did buy a set of springs to change when the secondaries open and a set of cams to tailor the accelerator pump shot. I am running a Mopar 474 cam and find this carb with some tweaks to timing (lighter advance springs), vacuum advance and carb adjustments have improved the driving and performance response of the engine.
Ron
Have not run any vacuum test while driving the car. Yes, off manifold out put on carb. Think I do need to check it at driving speed. Idles well and after changing the jets in the carb seems to be doing better. It accelerates well. Now that warmer weather is coming will see if the problem returns. Need to check my timing again. But will get the new plugs in that is the right heat range. Time will tell. This car is a driver and not a racer. But if you have a ford mustang pull up on the highway well you know what will happen. LOL. Thanks, Blue69runner.

I use the dum Edelbrock 1405 600 with the choke wired open. I have to rebuild it every 10 years or so. I tried the 750 one time and took it off.

Who's going be the bigger man and quit this crap?
Why does it have to be a man? What are you, sexist??

hqdefault.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Holy derailment Batman!

No one has brought up the other alternative....cheapo EFI. Done and done. :poke:

Things are looking up car is running better with smaller jet size in the carb. Now hot weather is on the way and will see how it runs then. Thanks for all the input from the mopar group hear. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back