• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb recommendation

440gtx1967

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Just wanting some opinions regarding this particular carb, for use as sub for the stock carb on my 67 440 GTX...Thanks

Proform Street Series, Vacuum Secondary
Fits: 750 cfm, 4-Barrel, Dual Inlet, Dichromate,

Carburetor, Gasoline, Proform Street Series, Universal, 750 cfm, 4-Barrel, Dual Inlet, Dichromate, Each

CFM: 750

Fuel: Gasoline

New or Remanufactured: New

Number of Barrels: 4

Carburetor Flange: Square bore

Choke: Electric

Secondary Type: Vacuum

Fuel Inlet: Dual

Carburetor Finish: Dichromate

Ford Kickdown: No

Booster Type: Down-leg

Quantity: Sold individually.

These Proform Street series carburetors are perfectly matched for your everyday driver. They are hand-assembled using Proform's high-flow, lightweight aluminum carburetor main body that has been CNC-machined. They use changeable screw-in air and high-speed bleeds and include high performance down-leg boosters. Attached to the main body is Proform's billet aluminum throttle base plate, which features adjustable power valve blowout protection, a corrosion-resistant anodized finish, button Torx head screws, and easy access to secondary idle airflow adjustment. The Proform Street series carburetors use billet aluminum metering blocks with changeable idle feed restrictors, non-stick gaskets and four corner idle system on mechanical secondary carburetors. The final components of the carburetors are the fuel bowls. They are manufactured from lightweight die-cast aluminum and feature fuel level sight windows, an externally adjustable needle and seat, dual-feed fuel inlets, and a notched secondary float. Finally, there is a cost-conscious carburetor that's built for the street. Get one of these Proform Street series carburetors and start performing better today.

No reason it won't be a significant upgrade.
You may have to clearance the intake a bit for the vacuum pod linkage. Or a slight spacer.

It is just another POS brand H clone, with all of the brand H problems. The Edel AVS is a faaaaaaaaaaar better carb.

If you bail on your stock carburetor, let me know. The 4327S 67 automatic carb, and the 4326S 67 4-speed carb are perfect for your 67 GTX in my opinion.

If you bail on your stock carburetor, let me know. The 4327S 67 automatic carb, and the 4326S 67 4-speed carb are perfect for your 67 GTX in my opinion.
Its sort of amazing that AFB/AVS carbs draw so much criticism and are replaced by the Edelbrock (aka "Eddy" or Edel equilivant) and the the origional Holley 4150 & 4160 designs are also severely spurned as well, and miraculously all carb issues disappear......fact or fiction or wishful thinking......?
Your suggestion for Carter 4327S and 4326S are spot on.......I share your recommendation as well ! Let the word wars begin....... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Broadly agree with ^ statement.
There were 505 variants of the original Carter AFB & I have counted well over 100 met rods [ probably closer to 150 ].
Trying to find rods & jets for 4326/7 model for the purposes of dialling in the specific combo might be problematic. Which is why the Edel carbs are so easy with the available tuning kits.

Another advantage of restoring an original carb is that you can use your original air cleaner if that’s what you have on it. All the others have a larger neck and you will need a 68 or later air cleaner or at least swap out your base plate for a 68 or later. And with an original carb you can use all the original hardware for the choke rather than use an electric choke.

A disadvantage is the original used 3-step metering rods and tall primary jets which can present a challenge to find if they are missing or have been changed out in the past. At worst you could change rods, hardware and jets to the 2-step variety.

Auto Transport Service
Back