• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb running over after shut off

kdtjb

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
Finally took the 69 road runner for a ride today. Everything runs great, until I turn it off. Then the carb starts to perculate gas like crazy. Doesn't do it cold just hot. It is a Carter AVS newly rebuilt by passions for mopars. Any ideas are appreciated.

I'm thinking you mean gas is dribbling from the booster venturies? Just want to be clear. If so then I'd say the float levels might be a bit too high. Easy fix that you can do. Another possibility is the carb is getting very hot because the heat crossover in the intake is open. Carbs don't like this new gas so it's important to keep the carb as cool as possible - or switch to EFI.

I thought I might take the top off tomorrow and check the floats. About the time I got the air grabber off it quit running gas. So I did not see exactly where it was coming from. Just a lot of heavy white smoke, like fog. What and how to set floats?

Good to hear you got her on the road! Sorry to hear about your issue. I had an issue an edelbrock carb peculating fuel like a hot campfire coffee pot....only when it was hot. Made it real fun to start afterwards after sitting for just a bit. Anyways, blocked the heat crossovers to the intake and put on a 1/2" phenolic spacer, problem solved. Just throwing it out there.

I had an Edelbrock and had heat issues with it as well, Prop's suggestions are what I'd if it turns out to be that. Sucks having to pull the intake just to block the crossovers off, if your not already aware they make a valley pan with the crossovers blocked off.

I got one of those valley pans, still in the box, I picked it up for another project. This ones all stock, and they didn't do it from the factory so I will check the float level first. If that don't work I will try the valley pan. Sure is good to have some Ideas to start with, Thanks Kent.

The floats were set too high & with too much drop. So I set the float level at 5/16s and the drop at 13/16s and that solved the problem. Thanks for all your help.

good to see you got it fixed...

Auto Transport Service
Back