• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburettor Opinions

Vac for Dbl Pump?

There ain't no such thing as a good double pumper for the street, unless you have one hell of a stout motor and proper gearing setup! If you use a fresh vac sec 4 bbl Holley, or a Edelbrock or Carter, you will have a much better running car! Double pumpers have no business on the street! ............. Later, John Lang:HappyNewYear:

no business on the street! ............
Oh yes they DO! LOL. However, just like you said, a stout engine and gearing to match really make it work alot better than if it was on a tank weight car and Hwy. gears. He he he

start by getting a vacuum gauge on it in gear, and making sure you've got a good signal. you should have probably 16-22" with this 'mild' cam in your engine. with that and a stock converter you dont need anything too big or exotic, you won't be happy with your engine guy's recommendations. not enough vacuum or too large a primary venturi, and forget about getting your idle mixture right, not to mention your transition, and main circuits. there are lots of ways to mask an oversized carb, they are all a pain in the ***-drilling primary plates, power valve sizing/timing, and jetting that is way off. try working with the carb you have now before you throw good money down the drain.
if your heart is set on a carb change, consider a holley street avenger. the first generation of these units had some issues, but holley has them worked out now. these carbs out of the box require very little adjustment, and this is good if you're not confident in your tuning abilities. holley even ships a dvd with their carbs now to help people set theirs up.
these are vacuum secondary, DUAL FEED carbs, not to be confused with DP's, with electric chokes-very easy to adjust. if this car is a cruiser, you will be very happy with the result. your mileage will slightly increase because the secondaries won't come crashing in the second you mash the throttle-they react with engine LOAD and DEMAND and will come in smoothly with the correct secondary spring.
holley has on their website, a "carb calculator" which chooses the best cfm for a particular application-check it out. and you should do some reading on how to properly size your carburetor, you'll see how easy it is to over-carb an engine and why.:grin:

There ain't no such thing as a good double pumper for the street, unless you have one hell of a stout motor and proper gearing setup! If you use a fresh vac sec 4 bbl Holley, or a Edelbrock or Carter, you will have a much better running car! Double pumpers have no business on the street! ............. Later, John Lang:HappyNewYear:

does this mean i have to change my 1150 dominator to a 750 or only drive on the strip? lol

The gears seem tall since in 4th gear your like 3000rpm at 60mph (or there abouts) assuming 3:55 or 3:95.

Rear gear sounds more like 3.23.....all depends on the tire diameter....

My opinion is stay with the Carter...625 cfm.....in carb talk, bigger ain't always better.....I have a site for calculating what carb is best to use depending on max RPM.....I'll try and find it.

Unless your engine is built, I don't think the big carb is gonna help you

One last thing. I've been working on Mopars for over 30 years, building my own motors etc, and I've never heard of a "green" cam. Anyone else know what that is supposed to be?
Cousin of the purple cam :grin:

I had the purple cam in my black 66 Charger back in the late 70's.....it lasted 3 months in there...took it back out....was not a good daily street driver....had wife & kids in car....they hated it...so I tossed it out.

Here is carb calculator site.....

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Oh My God :drowning: plenty of opinions here...it's almost like 1977 again.

I had the purple cam in my black 66 Charger back in the late 70's.....it lasted 3 months in there...took it back out....was not a good daily street driver....had wife & kids in car....they hated it...so I tossed it out.

Here is carb calculator site.....

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

ditto on the 4secondsflat link-"big daddy" don is the man. i run his ignition in my gtx. ignition first, carburetion second. he specializes in mopar, and he campaigns a pretty sweet cuda. buy his tuning guide-best 10 bucks you'll ever spend. and to boot he's a super nice guy.

A plane old Holley Part number 4779, 750 double pumper will be fine on a 383 as long as your running 355 gears or lower.
Any 383 will handle this carb, even if its a 2V motor. In the day that was the most poplar swap made.

Any 383 will handle this carb, even if its a 2V motor. In the day that was the most poplar swap made.

LOL, damn skippy it was. On a daily driver with nice and mild manors, I'd do the smaller carb.

The larger carb would do very well with headers and a carb change etc....

I have a Carter 750 ontop of my otherwise stock 400, save the headers and MSD, it is bone stock. While not bad on the bottom end, the top end screams by compare. Though it's a choked smog engine, theres not alot of power to start with and not much to grow on unless it's rebuilt, ground up.

I like the added drivabilty of the smaller carb and will go back to it later.

Auto Transport Service
Back