• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet Installation Question

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Getting ready to trim my carpet.. The rear carpet now has the proper cut outs.
Still need to do the front.

Two questions:

1. How far forward up the firewall should the front half go? Or where should the driver heel pad line up with respect to the brake pedal?

2. Where is the correct place to trim the sides? Do the sill plates clamp the carpet? Should I trim to the outside edge of the sill plate?

Thanks MF

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

Get pics of where everyone locates their gas pedal on the heal pad. Also the end normally meets where the firewall insulation ends.

Coming along nicely :thumbsup:

This is a picture of mine I done a couple of weeks ago. I cut the heel pad in the top right corner to fit the gas pedal bottom part first. Then put the gas pedal in the cut out and slid it in place so the gas pedal dropped in place. Then put the nuts on the pedal from underneath. And it was in the right spot forward And sideways. I hope this makes sense.
You want the entire bottom of the pedal on the heel pad.
0994C68C-685F-430C-B575-F4C0DD7013BD.png

My carpet (Bought in late 2020) ran up above the steering column.

SST 607.jpg

SST 642.jpg

SST 690.jpg

From the back seat, you can't see the firewall. To me, that is how it should be. My first carpet was a repro kit from around 2003. It was short in all directions but I've heard that was a common problem....there were more carpet manufacturers in business and some were really cutting corners to be competitive and profitable. The customers paid the price on that scam...

My carpet (Bought in late 2020) ran up above the steering column.

View attachment 1554934

View attachment 1554935
View attachment 1554936

From the back seat, you can't see the firewall. To me, that is how it should be. My first carpet was a repro kit from around 2003. It was short in all directions but I've heard that was a common problem....there were more carpet manufacturers in business and some were really cutting corners to be competitive and profitable. The customers paid the price on that scam...
Hey KD was there a floor high beam switch carpet gromet or just a hole in the carpet?

Set it all in and weight it down nice and tight for a day or two before you cut it.

Set it all in and weight it down nice and tight for a day or two before you cut it.

Thanks thats excellent advice! I am definitely taking my time on this.

Now all I need is a bunch of fat women to lay in my carpet overnight. Can I say that here? I think I just did lol

I would bolt in your seats before you cut the sides. I didn't, and when the seats went in and everything squished down (sound deadener and carpet) it pulled the carpet away from the sills.
I need to re-do mine as a result.

I would bolt in your seats before you cut the sides. I didn't, and when the seats went in and everything squished down (sound deadener and carpet) it pulled the carpet away from the sills.
I need to re-do mine as a result.
Excellent input! Thank you!! I will definitely do that!!

Auto Transport Service
Back