• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much carpet under sill?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
I am getting ready for my final trim cuts. One question I have is how much overlap onto the sill should I have if any? I see overlap as a good thing as I can glue it down there. Was thinking half the width of the sill panel? However I am not sure what kind of door clearance I would have. If I don’t come up and over I am not sure if that would be as good. The complicating factor is I have mass backed carpet which is a bit thicker than the factory stuff. I believe about 1/4 thick total loop with the backing.
Thanks MF

IMG_0203.jpeg

I cut mine right to the pinch weld seam on the inside. If it overlaps to the outside it will suck up water.

Originally it made the 180 degree bend then stopped at or just shy of the 90 degree bend to flat...

Cut and remove the x’ d portion. Cut and leave enough to just go up the 3/4” ish vertical seam right where the line is.

IMG_4692.jpeg

Gluing shouldn’t be necessary, the sill plate screws will hold it down. Mine comes up to the weather lace running under the plate. I had put the lace in to make the cut line as it overlaps a bit. Be sure to have the carpet seated in fully with the contours, I used some weights. You may want to make an X cut with the carpet knife at each screw hole to fully cut the fibers and backing so the carpet won’t get snagged or hung up putting the screws in. Keep a locating pick in the other holes to avoid movement of the carpet.

Factory put the carpet over the pinch weld so the sill plate would hold it in place and not pull out from under the sill plate, which will happen if you cut it just short of the pinch weld as recommended above.

Could be different design involved, later year? At least as it is on my car (63) the wind lace inserts over the pinch weld running under the hump on the sill plate. The sill plate screwed down holds the carpet. Not much clearance either, as when I installed new lace, it was larger diameter, enough to have me remove the lace as the plate wouldn’t seat down…or allow me to close the doors without slamming them.
Could be a later model in question with the OP's car didn’t have the lace under the sill?

He has a 1970.
Yes the windlace cars are a bit different.

What is the ‘Wind Lace”? Is that the strip over the pinch welds in some places? Is that stuff along the door floor area? I can’t picture it.

It’s on 1962-65. It’s on the jambs, it has a woven material same color as interior Along with the weatherstrip.

66-70 has a rubber piece on the front edge of the quarter, much thinner.

Factory put the carpet over the pinch weld so the sill plate would hold it in place and not pull out from under the sill plate, which will happen if you cut it just short of the pinch weld as recommended above.
This seems more robust. It’s also what I was thinking when I actually asked by “how much” past over the pinch weld and onto the sill. The carpet is very thick having the mass backing. I wasn’t sure of the clearance for the door to close if the sill plate was raised 1/4 inch. I don’t have the doors on so I can’t measure the current clearances.

It’s on 1962-65. It’s on the jambs, it has a woven material same color as interior Along with the weatherstrip.

66-70 has a rubber piece on the front edge of the quarter, much thinner.
The aftermarket lace/seal I got was ridiculously larger dia than the OEM. At the time was told there was only one outfit making it so gave up putting the old one back in. Someone mentioned that the later seals would fit. I planned to get them but haven't done this yet. Was suggested that letting the new wind lace set for a week or so would compress to fit. No success there and messed up my door latch gear trying to force the door fully shut having to find a replacement. Also the lace was more pink than red, nothing like the original. A plain black seal would look better than this MO.

20170706_092411_resized_1.jpg

This seems more robust. It’s also what I was thinking when I actually asked by “how much” past over the pinch weld and onto the sill. The carpet is very thick having the mass backing. I wasn’t sure of the clearance for the door to close if the sill plate was raised 1/4 inch. I don’t have the doors on so I can’t measure the current clearances.

if you have the mass backer it wont move or pull out like someone else said would. I’ve done many and haven’t had any move. You want the sill plate to sit as flat as possible. You can kind of gauge and see just how much carpet you can stuff into the larger raised portion of the sill plate . You do want to get some into it to help keep things tight. Once the carpet is settled it isn’t going anywhere

if you have the mass backer it wont move or pull out like someone else said would. I’ve done many and haven’t had any move. You want the sill plate to sit as flat as possible. You can kind of gauge and see just how much carpet you can stuff into the larger raised portion of the sill plate . You do want to get some into it to help keep things tight. Once the carpet is settled it isn’t going anywhere
Yes thank you! The mass backing is great! So glad I ordered it! It keeps the moulded shape really well!
This is where I am at. Not sure I’ll get away with it but it might work. If not I’ll trim it more.

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0274.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back