• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet

This is on my survivor 1969 Road Runner. The problem with the original front rug was water damage caused by a leaking windshield gasket which ruined the rug in the driver's footwell. The padding under the heel pad was pretty much disintegrated. This was all covered up by a floor mat, but I still didn't like it. What I decided to do was reuse the original jute padding, which is thicker, heavier and is properly cut and placed. There is only a small section of padding that is needed as seen in the photos below. I'm going to ask ACC if they can make up a new rug and not attach the padding.

IMG_4038.jpg

Notice the cutouts for the gas pedal, clutch rod, dimmer switch & wiring routing into the sill.....

IMG_4039.jpg

Original padding versus ACC. Their padding doesn't come up to the edges of the sills (in relation to the edge of the heel pad).

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

This is on my survivor 1969 Road Runner. The problem with the original front rug was water damage caused by a leaking windshield gasket which ruined the rug in the driver's footwell. The padding under the heel pad was pretty much disintegrated. This was all covered up by a floor mat, but I still didn't like it. What I decided to do was reuse the original jute padding, which is thicker, heavier and is properly cut and placed. There is only a small section of padding that is needed as seen in the photos below. I'm going to ask ACC if they can make up a new rug and not attach the padding.

View attachment 1292604

Notice the cutouts for the gas pedal, clutch rod, dimmer switch & wiring routing into the sill.....

View attachment 1292605

Original padding versus ACC. Their padding doesn't come up to the edges of the sills (in relation to the edge of the heel pad).

View attachment 1292606

View attachment 1292607

I had to return a carpet due to wrinkles and fitment. So, I asked they just mold the carpet and not attach the jute pad. They're good about special orders.

Last edited:
ACC asked for the bad carpet back and my original carpet for them to use as a template. Hopefully, they'll use that to get all future carpets correct. .....Although, I never had a problem with other carpets that I previously purchased.

They are going out tomorrow.

To be continued............

Look at the bottom of an accelerator petal and it will make perfect sense.
Mine must’ve been cut off, the previous owner installed orange shag carpeting. He last drove it in the 70s. The carpeting smells like an ashtray.

Well, I started installing the carpet last night and finished it up this morning. ACC came through and the end result was worth the wait.

IMG_4429.jpg

My 62 4 speed carpet was perfect, as far as the sewn in mat.
My 64 auto carpet was not, but I didn't care.
ACC floormats in both.

62 had the extra rubber layer, 64 did not.

What the heck is that switch above the E brake cable?
W/w pump? But yeah what's the electric portion. Turns on the wipers?

Yep, it's a manual pump for the windshield washer. You can see the rubber "bellows" type pump. The switch triggers the wiper motor. The washer fluid is in a bag on the inner fender which more or less is a gravity flow to the pump.

Here's where the gas pedal is placed on the factory B-body carpets....

View attachment 1292205

However, when I lay the ACC carpet in place, the heel pad will be in this location.....

View attachment 1292206
It is great that you point this out. The red interior (which is beautiful), has the heal pad in the totally wrong position. It's a amateur mistake. In saying that, it takes a lot of steaming and manipulating of the new carpets to get the heal pad in the correct position as shown in your original black carpet pic. Your options would be:
1. Use a steamer and stretchers to get the heal pad in the correct spot.
2. Take measurements to confirm a totally wrong position of the heal pad sewn on the carpet and get a new one.
These are the details that separate a good restoration (as in the red interior example) to a high level restoration.

I sent them an email with the above picture and I asked them if my original carpet will be used as a pattern for now on. We'll see if I get a response.

I did get a response & they acknowledged putting the heel pad in the correct location for future reference. I know that I paid more going directly from them, but had I gone through one of their vendors, I most likely wouldn't have gotten as good direct service.

Carpet.....​

I prefer shaved; but if not, it should always be neatly trimmed and most importantly match the drapes

Auto Transport Service
Back