• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars that are appreciating?

The 80s Monte Carlo SS cars have taken a big hike around here, along with fox bodies. So sad that Chrysler had absolutely nothing to offer for sporty coupes in the 80s and 90s. 98-02 ram air firebirds have been going up too

We flipped a couple of old Blazer k5's in the past year ..crazy what people will pay for a nice square truck .. and body parts were really inexpensive ..

kc0413-151342_1@2x.jpg

None of these old muscle cars are going to "appreciate" very much, with the exception of the rare, top end restoration that sells to some guy with more money than he can spend. The generation that loved them and saw value in them is us. We're passing on; the generations that have followed don't and won't value them like we did. They have no connection with these cars.

Last edited:
I've flipped more than a few since I retired, for a few bucks in the savings account, but more to own and do some repair work on different muscle cars. I've found the big thing to the guys who bought them is the originality of them. Many that I sold were to guys in their 40/50s and they were looking for a stable investment. I had a 69' ford Cobra that is worth 30k plus everyday. Even though it had a stout 460 in it, without the original 428 I couldn't give it away.

cobra 466.JPG

I find this is more of a crap shoot aside from ultra rare or low production number cars. I'm reading now that clone cars have been given a new handle: Tribute cars! Akin to buying a used car vs a pre-owned car. The cloned 1st gen challengers and cuda's are getting insane prices (6 figures) despite the new challengers around for 10 years now. As most know a car is worth what someone wants to pay for it. You see this watching the Mec and BJ auctions. Some great muscle cars go incredibly cheap and others get high dollar because a couple of interested buyers want that vehicle. Timing thing. Then the friggin VW busses and heavily modified old suv's getting high dollar? I put in over $40k in my '63 Plymouth and who knows the number of hours, if I'm selling it on a good day I'd be fortunate to get half that. As Walter used to say (those old enough to remember old Walt)...and that's the way it is...

I've flipped more than a few since I retired, for a few bucks in the savings account, but more to own and do some repair work on different muscle cars. I've found the big thing to the guys who bought them is the originality of them. Many that I sold were to guys in their 40/50s and they were looking for a stable investment. I had a 69' ford Cobra that is worth 30k plus everyday. Even though it had a stout 460 in it, without the original 428 I couldn't give it away.

View attachment 676925
There are many guys in their 40s/50s wanting cars. We are still raising our kids and saving for retirement. We dont know if SS will be broke when we retire. We dont have the big pension plans of the past. We have 401k's and other market related investments available and who knows what the market will do to our $$. I believe there will be market fluctuations over the years and some models of cars are gonna fall hard. I believe the market for good quality "real deal" cars will be there for a good while yet. The interest is there but many are just priced out of the market right now. The world market is something to keep in mind. We are not the only ones that want these cars.

Just an opinion of a 40/50 yo still raising kids.

There are many guys in their 40s/50s wanting cars. We are still raising our kids and saving for retirement. We dont know if SS will be broke when we retire. We dont have the big pension plans of the past. We have 401k's and other market related investments available and who knows what the market will do to our $$. I believe there will be market fluctuations over the years and some models of cars are gonna fall hard. I believe the market for good quality "real deal" cars will be there for a good while yet. The interest is there but many are just priced out of the market right now. The world market is something to keep in mind. We are not the only ones that want these cars.

Just an opinion of a 40/50 yo still raising kids.
As a guy in the mid-boomer age I had a "pension" for about 5 years with a big mfg company before they nuked the pensions guys before me enjoyed and retired well off on. Was one of the companies that closed up after a 100 years due to the influx of Japanese machines and cars in the early 80's. Dark days as America got smacked. I had a couple of cherry cars that'd be worth a fortune today I sold so cheap. A story a lot of us older guys have who drove them in the day. These cars shot up in price some 25+ years ago when wealthy foreigners wanted old American muscle so many were exported and out of reach for the average guys. Who knows? One thing constant about change...is change...

Auto Transport Service
Back