• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

casting crack ?

ddpsnake

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
IS this a casting crack,on the out side of the tranny just below the #4 theirs a casting line.904 behind 318.and if so can it be fix.

S6680007.JPG S6680008.JPG

Does it go all the way through to the other side?

I'm thinking a mold line. Is there any mismatch in height? Maybe sand a small spot and check for any depth?

Pretty sure it's just from the form, take a sander to it and sand it smooth then you'll know.

That is the casting line. Nothing to worry about.

IF it is a crack, it can be repaired by welding. To prep for welding, grind out the crack using a new disc grinding wheel...do NOT use a wheel that had been used for anything else because of contamination to the weld area. If it is a heavy section (thick) its always best to preheat the area with a torch to lessen the thermal shock of welding. Aluminium can be successfully repaired by TIG (tungsten inert gas) welding using aluminium filler metal and ideally helium as the shield gas...hence the name "Heliarc" welding. Or possibly a trimix shield gas...argon, CO2, helium. DO NOT use MIG wire and NEVER USE stick electrodes or any of the products that claim to be able to weld anything. After welding, its always best to post weld heat treat the repair with torch to anneal the joint and let it cool on its own....do not force cool it by quenching with air or water. If a weld repair is considered, discuss with a professional welder versed in aluminium welding procedures. It is likely that the housing was made ftom 380Z diecast alloy with a high tensile strength.
This is just my opinion.
Bob Renton

To furthur the discussion, in addition, in my opinion, it is a crack. Transmission housings are poured on end not in halves on the horizontal axis. To be absolutely sure, either ultrasonic test the area or spot check with die (zyglo) and ultra violet light.
Bob Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back