• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cataract surgery

Jnelson

Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
I have to go in for cataract surgery on the 17th of March. Eye doctor is talking about a custom lens called a toric lens that will almost correct my vision. Has anyone here had this surgery? And are you happy with the results?

My mother had both eyes done a few years ago and it was like night and day how her vision improved. Not sure about the Toric lens though that might have come after hers were done.

My mom had cataract surgery done on both eyes over the last few months. Big improvement to her vision even 24hrs after the surgery.

I am hearing that many are just plain throwing away glasses they have worn for years before cataracts. Ideal time to have it done in conjunction with the cataract surgery. The cataract surgery is usually covered by insurance and the lens is normally on your dime. Well worth it is what I hear.

yeah I had it done couple years ago..both eyes but only one with the corrective lens .. my left eye was 20/200 wore glasses all my life .. no more glasses bought 5 pair of real sunglasses right after .. surgery was a breeze the prep took 1/2 hour the surgery less than 5 minutes ..I'm 65 so reading glasses where in my future anyway needed them after surgery ..do it

insurance covered surgery lens was $800

I've had both eyes operated on to remove cataracts, the first in '03 and the second in '06. The Toric lens is to correct problems seeing at a distance, and my eyes have always been good at distance vision, so I did not need these. The operation itself is amazing in its simplicity and the immediate improvement in vision! At the time of the first operation, I was very concerned and honestly, a little scared. Once the first eye was done, I couldn't wait to get the other done! I need glasses to read and for close-in work (under a dashboard, or reading the size of a socket, for example).

After shrapnel severed the optic nerve in my right eye, shrapnel made hamburger out of my left eye also. After 20 years, I had cataract surgery which took 6 1/2 hours and an overnight stay at the San Francisco VA Hospital, but my eye is FUBAR, so a normal procedure is a 1-2 hours, I can see much better. I still need to wear glasses, get major migraines, and my eye hurts constantly.

Again, my situation is far from the normal routine, but I wouldn't sweat it. Get it done, and then enjoy your new vision.

By all means, get the cataract with lens implant. A very simple and quick operation, and it is very rare that someone isn't real impressed with it.
I have had 4 corneal transplants and all were destroyed in a matter of hours with an infection. We couldn't figger where the infection came from. Now I have a artificial cornea. One of less than 10 in the State of Nebraska at the time. Now commonly done. Amazeing what can be done with eyes now..................MO

:yes:J, you will be very happy with the outcome ...

it is Fast & Accurate Treatment these days!

My mother had them both done, went great. My father-in-law just had his second done last week. He had some complications from a med he's on for his leukemia. There was a lot of swelling that compressed the optic nerve. He couldn't see at all out of the eye for a couple of days then as the swelling gradually resolved, his vision cleared up. The one he did last week is almost all cleared up. Def get it done !!!

Piece of cake as the guys all said in the posts above.
Yup, My "significant" other had them done and my 87 year old mother.
My "wife" had the new LENS installed
She has 20/20 in Left
20/15 in Right

Had my right eye done in May 2013. Now I am a card carrying BORG as I now have a Bionic lens in that eye. Just use readers now for close up work and reading. Get er done...cr8crshr/Tuck

My mom had cataract surgery done on both eyes over the last few months. Big improvement to her vision even 24hrs after the surgery.

My ol'Pops did too in late Dec. left eye & 1st part of Jan. right eye,
he had near 20-20 vision 24hrs later @ the follow up post-op appointment

He said he didn't feel any pain, just minor discomfort
from wearing the eye patch while sleeping {Dr.'s orders} the 1st week or couple days
he had to do expensive eye drops {2 different PX's like $60-$100 a bottle}
per effected eye 4 times a day 1st week
drops 3 times a day 2nd week
twice a day the 3rd week

he only wears polarized sun glasses now, when he goes outside
claims he golfing/putts better now too,
although anything would have been an improvement from his old golfing/putting...LOL

Go for it! It will take longer for the prep before surgery than the operation - had my left one done back in September - after 3 rounds of laser surgery on it to repair something else wrong with the eye. I was nervous thinking about them cutting on my eye - but it really wasn't bad at all - quick and painless. You'll probably have a patch on it the rest of the day and get it removed the next morning - after that, wear an eye patch to bed for a week - drops for about 3-4 weeks and that's it. Good Luck!

Thanks guys. I was a little hesitant, but it sounds like it will be well worth it. Insurance covers the surgery but the custom Toric lenses aren't covered. $1300 each but I figure I am worth it. I am using Flex spending to cover most of i . It may sound like a lot but the glasses I wear now cost about $600 a pair so I figure that over a few years I may be ahead of the game. And now I will be able to wear sunglasses which I haven't been able to due the cost. Thanks again.

Well I had the surgery. I can't believe how crystal clear everything is. The only part that sucked was waiting two weeks between the surgeries. All I need now are cheaters that I picked up at Walmart. Just have to remember to carry them around with me.

Good to see {he he ha ha}, hear it all worked out well

Auto Transport Service
Back