• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has had Cataract Surgery?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I’m scheduled for this procedure in a couple weeks and have some of the scoop; but I’d like to ask those who have gone through it about their experiences and advice. Right eye is worse than the left, but they’ve scheduled both a couple weeks apart. Hear that there are a couple of lens options and have to be pretty much worthless doing much during the recovery for a couple weeks.

Appreciate any info. Thanks

Had both of mine done some years ago with lenses that are adjustable and it was the best thing that I could have done. After years of wearing glasses I can now see both near and far. The only drawback for me is that if at night I walk into the garage and it’s dark it takes some time for my eyes to adjust to the dark. I worked in an office so I was able to go back to work after a day or so. If it were me I’d try to schedule it for a Friday so that by Monday you should be able to go back to work.

I have had both eyes done, several years back, and I would do it again. Otherwise, I would have been functionally blind. But there can be complications. I have had them all.
First, if the doc tells you not to do something, DONT DO IT!
Next, I would not schedule them weeks apart. I would wait about six months, to see what happens after the first one, but that is only precaution I would take from my experience.
I had one done, the worst of the two first, then waited for the second. (By the way, since I had been nearsighted my whole life, I had my surgeon put in a nearsighted lens. I was still working as a machinist and needed to wear safety glasses I couldn't wear over eyeglasses)
Long story short, the non-opped eye got much worse, and when I suffered a retina tear in the surgery eye, I WAS functionally blind. I scheduled the second cataract surgery as soon as I could.

As for what has happened since... I don't mean to scare you, but it is what happened to me (I do NOT blame my surgeon, it just is what it is.) I have had two cat surgeries, two YAG procedures (those were AMAZING, a Lazer treatment for a film that develops sometimes over the replacement lens) two retinal tears in one eye, one in the other, each requiring a Lazer repair, a detached retina in the left eye, that required two physical surgeries when the first one failed.
End result? I can see. So a win, I guess. Right eye can be corrected to 20/20 and is the one I use 95% of the time (like now, on my tablet). The left eye is sharper, clearer, can only be corrected to 20/50,but has a serious focal length problem that can't be fixed (I'm told). For example, if I look down at my feet with the right eye, they are five feet away (correct, as I'm 6'3"). The left eye says they are seven feet away. End result, can't read or see things close up without blurring, so I close the left eye (that's the one with two retina scars, a detached retina, two physical surgeries, three or four Lazer surgeries, and a YAG)
I have a friend, my girlfriends sister, who also has cats in both eyes, not nearly as bad as mine were, who Is delaying surgery as long as she can. Maybe from watching my experiences

As I said at the beginning, I would do them again, cause if I didn't, right now I wouldn't see.

my wife is getting hers done end of the month.

First, if the doc tells you not to do something, DONT DO IT!
HOLY – well you know! Glad you have your vision after ALL that. I’m like those of you who can’t sit for long having to be doing something, often some fix-it deal around the house or cars. My kids have a long list of stuff in their houses I’m working on every chance I have. Went nutty last year taking it easy recouping from a neck fusion and two CTS’s for six weeks. Spend 75% of my time in the garages or basement. Thanks much for the advice!

I had lens replacement which is pretty much the same a cataract surgery. Had both eyes done same day, was able to see fine the next day. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Only downside was price and some halos from lights when driving at night.

I’ve had it done. My operation was completely different than most as it lasted 7 hours, I was unconscious and the lens was moved from the back of the eye to the front. This was taken care of at the San Francisco VA hospital. I do still wear glasses as I’m down to the one eye (since I was 19). They are a polycarbonate lens and each year my prescription is a little bit different than before.

Most of these operations are out patient and done in about an hour. Do 1 eye then wait a few months to see how ya like it. My dad had both of his eyes done cause he was tired of wearing contacts. He no longer wears contacts, it’s glasses. So sometimes these procedures don’t do all they claim.

Wife had lens replacement in both eyes, but several years apart. First was performed when cataract developed after treatment for retinal detachment, a common result. The other eye was still cataract free. When replacing a single lens, it has to match fairly closely to the other eye to maintain binocular vision. A few years later she developed a cataract in the opposite eye, and got a lens replacement. Both procedures went well with no complications. Only downside was that both lenses were replaced with near sighted focus to get the match. For those who do it closer together, matched lenses can eliminate the need for glasses in previously nearsighted persons. Strictly a vanity issue. My wife has a family history of major eye trouble, so she is grateful for the excellent outcome she got. In her case, both procedures were outpatient, with minimal recovery time.

Got my first set of glasses when I was around 20 for nearsighted-ness I guess, for distance. Went through the 70-‘s looking like a lounge singer with those awful-larger lens aviator specs that could darken in the sun; but never fully be un-tinted back when. Lol, don’t like looking at old photos. Oddly, about 5 years ago, my vision changed where I rarely need glasses; although my up-close vision has deteriorated where I’ll use reading specs sometimes. Issue seems to be light more than anything and became worse in just the past year. Got a pair of yellow-tinted glasses that helped; but no longer comfortable driving at night. Even when going from sunny to shaded areas, the adjustment is not so good.

Appreciate you all sharing your experiences – most helpful.

Got my first set of glasses when I was around 20 for nearsighted-ness I guess, for distance. Went through the 70-‘s looking like a lounge singer with those awful-larger lens aviator specs that could darken in the sun; but never fully be un-tinted back when. Lol, don’t like looking at old photos. Oddly, about 5 years ago, my vision changed where I rarely need glasses; although my up-close vision has deteriorated where I’ll use reading specs sometimes. Issue seems to be light more than anything and became worse in just the past year. Got a pair of yellow-tinted glasses that helped; but no longer comfortable driving at night. Even when going from sunny to shaded areas, the adjustment is not so good.

Appreciate you all sharing your experiences – most helpful.
We are the same age, and have similar history. In near sighted folks, the hardening of the lens with aging can compensate for the extra length of the eyeball focal area that produces nearsightedness. For years, I had the fringe benefit of removing my glasses for close work, and being able to tie on a miniscule #22 dry fly when trout fishing. Now I need a clip on close up lense to do the same thing, and it's still difficult. Like you, my distance vision improved, and without changing my prescription, I went from 20/20 to 20/15 for a few years. I have started to develop cataracts as well, which brought me back to 20/20. Doctor says it's a trace amount, and now that I'm done with truck driving a night, I may never have to do anything about it.

Sounds like you're on top of the situation. Following the post op recommendations cuts down the chances of any issue, watched this with my spouse on other procedures as well.

We are the same age, and have similar history
Glad it worked out fine for your wife. Being retired I seldom do much driving after dark, but the last time, after a fish-boil dinner at the Legion Hall and extended chatting, got dark. I drove about two blocks and pulled over letting my wife drive. I have the standard headlights on the Dakota that I likely could upgrade, but just no way I want to risk it anymore. Amazing how much deterioration hey in a short span of time. What’s the saying about getting old again? Funny as people usually are surprised at my age thinking I look younger than I am. Well, half a decade or so, is saying much, lol.

I had both eyes done last year. My right eye was the worst. I wore one contact lens in that eye for many years while my left eye was something like 20-40. That said, I had what they call mono-vision where I used my right eye for distance and the left eye for close-up. My doctor used a lens to correct my right eye to 20-10 and and used a left lens that kept my vision to about what it was. In effect, I still use my left eye for reading and right eye for distance. I had them done about 2 weeks apart and am very happy with the outcome and don't have to fiddle with that damn contact lens anymore. Just do what the doctor tells you and you will be fine. Don't bend over for the first week or so and don't rub your eyes is the most important.

Had the right eye done in 2014. Told not to do anything and I did even though at the time my daily driver...Honda Civic...the radiator took a dump. I got the replacement the same day as the procedure and waited till after my follow-up review. If the Doc says do not do anything he/she means it if you want the repair to take and last. My left eye is now in need of one and I am waiting until next year to do it. You can go online and view YouTube videos of the procedure and get some good ideas about how it is done. I strongly recommend doing so as it prepared me for what was to come. But at all costs here, do not try and work or do things to re-injury the results as it will further complicate your recovery. Oh...And is actually painless!!! cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Had both done and paid the extra to correct my astigmatism and would recommend having it done

I had both eyes done in July, 2 weeks apart. I went with the multi-focal lenses and couldn't be happier, no glasses! No problems to report from mine, just multiple halo rings around lights at night, which was expected. I had fast developing cataracts, my left eye was the worst and was like looking through a fogged up window and the right eye started down the same path. I'm an IT consultant on a computer all day and was worried that I wouldn't make it to my surgery before couldn't see and work.

left eye was the worst and was like looking through a fogged up window
Yes, this is a hassle with my right eye, much worse than the left and also seemed to get worse fast. Like the idea not needing specs.

I should have had bifocals years ago (I'm told) but I like having a single lens for driving or TV watching, and take the glasses off for everything else. And being able to use safety glasses without prescriptions underneath. I never for a moment considered contacts, as ugly as I am, glasses don't hurt my looks.

Thought I would update on my post. I’ve had both eyeballs done, last one this past Tuesday. So far so fantastic glad to say! I can drive after dark, the awful glare from headlights gone, and can’t detect any change with my script glasses. Only wear them for driving, also can read the tiny print again; no extra lighting required. Probably the best way to describe the improvement is like someone cleaned a filthy windshield. Another test will come at the shooting range looking through the scope. While I haven’t worn glasses doing this, it got to point where there wasn’t a visual sweet-spot anymore.

Downside? Looking in the mirror! Oly chit, looks like I aged 10-years – okay, THIS is what everyone else has viewed; but me. Anyone have any recommendations on a good hair-dye product?

My first night driving I said someone cleaned the head lights

When I got my Yag procedure (Lazer, but I don't know if calling it a surgery is appropriate) I went from being able to see "there's a tree." to being able to see what kind of tree, individual branches, and individual leaves! Easily the easiest, most dramatic change in my vision since my vision fiasco started. (A YAG is a Lazer removal of a film that sometimes forms naturally over a plastic cataract lens).

Auto Transport Service
Back