• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

catastrophic failure

Just for grins one time I micrometer the length of the rod bolts. 10-12 were the same length and the others not so much. The replacements were the same length.

Remember, no matter what; It's not a catastrophic failure. It's an "unplanned rapid disassembly" of the motor.

I have 3 engines, my old cast crank 440 has indy heads, 600 lift solid, TRW pistons, a 150 shot of gas with stock bottom end, we have about 150 nine second passes on it ! The poor thing goes through the traps at 7000 rpm, semi retired now but the engine lives and has not been rebuilt and still gets a flogging in my son's Valiant.

- - - Updated - - -

Ad to that, one of the pistons is a Manley that I shaped myself to match the other 7 TRW's with a grinder and the block has 2 sleeves :)
Indy heads, 7000 rpm, 150 shot. That sounds like it should be in the eights. Are the 2 sleeves from a previous 7000 rpm test?

There's some real good info on here thanks guys I love learning

Indy heads, 7000 rpm, 150 shot. That sounds like it should be in the eights. Are the 2 sleeves from a previous 7000 rpm test?

:) Best from it was 9.69 @ 135, car is a genuine 63 Plymouth SS Belvedere, was a 10.90/ 11.0 car before the gas. One of the sleeves came from a Piston pin walking out the side, wore a nice slot up the bore, Filled the engine with cheese sauce with the water and oil mixing as I was trying to win a final :) . Had it out repaired and back on the track the next weekend :icon_winkle:

I have 3 engines, my old cast crank 440 has indy heads, 600 lift solid, TRW pistons, a 150 shot of gas with stock bottom end, we have about 150 nine second passes on it ! The poor thing goes through the traps at 7000 rpm, semi retired now but the engine lives and has not been rebuilt and still gets a flogging in my son's Valiant.

- - - Updated - - -

Ad to that, one of the pistons is a Manley that I shaped myself to match the other 7 TRW's with a grinder and the block has 2 sleeves :)

Wow, I never ran a cast crank, maybe they're a lot tougher than I thought. I used up a few forged cranks by running to 7000 through the traps. Never broke one, but after a few hundred runs they didn't "ring" anymore, sounded like a bowtie crank. I did find a main cap broken in half on my first 452 low deck during end of year teardown. That was going 7200 - 7300 in the traps until I changed gear ratio. Maybe I'll try using one of my cast versions.

Auto Transport Service
Back