• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Smoothing out all those bumps created by stuff banging around in the trunk (well further toward the rear):
pass_quarter_zpspssn98bc.jpg

pass_quarter_smooth_zpsuyzqkd2z.jpg

drivers_quarter2_zpsoh8wurhf.jpg

IMG_2001_zpshbqpb977.jpg

driver_quarter_zpssmfy1tsi.jpg

From my latest visit, some random pictures.

IMG_2024_zpsudxywfns.jpg

IMG_2021_zps02znsy5v.jpg

IMG_2006_zpsbqvgew98.jpg

Back in the shop now, ready for putty and high build primer.

ready%20for%20high%20build%20primer_sml_zpshn5etlfx.jpg

Went by this past weekend, the guys are blocking the high build primer to 220 to find and remove any high and low spots. Pics sent to me by the shop:

highbuild_trunk_zpsyfvswzvz.jpg

trunk_sm_zps7h6ora6d.jpg

highbuild_valances_zpsukj5dcb9.jpg

highbuild_door_sml_zpsskpe3dz2.jpg

highbuild_quarter_Dr_sml_zps3rpcsktj.jpg

highbuild_quarter_Pa_sml_zpshmtychgd.jpg

Very cool. 72-SE is my favorite 3rd gen Charger.

Awesome coming along nicely! You must be excited to have her back at home!

You and your associates work is meticulous.

I wish my 72 SE was as clean as yours.

It's nothin' to write home about.

It will likely be a rat rod/run stand for my 69 440.

I bought it for the 8 3/4 SG axle, bucket seat int and hideaways.

Because it's a 400-4 car, I can't quite bring myself to part it out just yet.

Great build. it is fun to see all of the progress that has been made. Your doing a great job. Keep it up.

This is my Y8 1972 Dodge Charger SE Brougham (production date 7-71) that I purchased from Nigel at National Moparts it was a rust-free North Carolina car that was parked due to a bad transmission and brought to Canada. To keep it running and because it was also a 318 car I swapped in my old 318 & TorqueFlite 727 from my first SE and drove it for about 5 years. It was last registered and on the road in 1992. It's traveled with me from place to place waiting for a restoration. I am not a mechanic (or a body guy) but I have enjoyed working on my cars since I was young. I learned a lot early on from not having a lot of money to pay someone else to do the work for me.

This is basically how I bought it in August of 1992, I put on my Western Turbine rims that I had on my previous SE. It did come with 14" Rallye's which I sold to a guy with a Challenger. Then I bought a set of 15x7 Rallyes from Motor City Originals. Shortly after getting it home I added the Year One front spoiler, I also added the dual cut-out exhaust rear valence from a '74, it was pretty rusted, I cleaned it up and painted it, thought it looked cool even though my exhaust was nowhere near the openings. I never would have thought that many years later there would be new ones being produced, thanks AMD.

1972_ChargerSE_zpsq5cmrj8t.jpg

Those are P275/60R15's on the rear and up front P255/60R15's.
Dscf0101xx_zpsu0jnvbe6.jpg

Rattle-can WAL-Mart black primer:
primer_zpsdqldgvfi.gif

Yes it has the rear spoiler decklid cut-outs and yes it is the original '72 decklid.
spoilercutout_zpsxlfzlseh.jpg

Here she sits, March 2007 just after me moved to the new house, double-car garage... finally, now I'll have some room to work on it. Don't really have a budget, I'll probably fund some of it by selling some of my extra "back-up" pieces (yes still have a few). This will be a slow restoration that's for sure, I'll be doing as much as I can.
DSC01355x_zps7dav3rei.jpg

Removed the hood, decklid, fenders, doors, etc.
Dsc03620xx_zpsakok95ko.jpg

Not too bad behind the fenders:
body1_zpsnrcqx2ta.jpg

Quite a bit of undercoating.
body2_zpsbn9ue2bn.jpg

Some rear shots:
Rear_zpsadjlauar.jpg

The car is pretty much fully covered with factory undercoating:
left_right_zps7onguxhx.jpg

Couple of my 318 from my previous 72 that I installed in this car:
Engine_1_zpsiv4o5ymv.jpg

Rented an engine hoist from my local Stephenson's Rental, took me about two hours by myself (I did take my time) to get it out, as you can see I left the tranny attached and pulled it out as a unit. I had to let the air out of the two front tires to give me enough clearance over the radiator frame. Maybe I could have gone higher with the jack but was a bit fearful that my anchoring bolts on the engine may give way.
Engine_2_zpsxnloqbaq.jpg

Transmission separated:
trans_zps3s2jv8y9.jpg

After 18 years the 318 is out again.
Engine_3_zpsgqyjo4sr.jpg

Rolled it outside, you definitely don't see anything like this in my neighbourhood.
body3_zpspsmsu1is.jpg

Removed the torsion bars, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, really had to whack them though.
torsionbar_zpsynyvcvxa.jpg

DSC04407_zpsyjjjwgbx.jpg

Then I removed the 4 bolts for the K-Frame and dropped the whole assembly on to some blocks temporarily.
k_frame_bolts_zpssogda5fk.jpg

Here's the front suspension:
suspension_firewall_zpsbhzgybum.jpg

I bet a few eye brows were raised in Oakville! Nice work.

Last edited:
It's nothin' to write home about.

It will likely be a rat rod/run stand for my 69 440.

I bought it for the 8 3/4 SG axle, bucket seat int and hideaways.

Because it's a 400-4 car, I can't quite bring myself to part it out just yet.

Seeing any of these old Mopars on the street is a treat that's for sure.

I bet a few eye brows were raised in Oakville! Nice work.

Lol, was last seen in Public in Milton on it's way to Shelburne. Should be interesting when it does arrive in Oakville, seems most people aren't into cars and they will have no clue what it is. I think my '01 Intrepid R/T even causes confusion. Think I'm the only Chrysler product on my street.

Glenwood, I have been following your resto, amazing work your doing there. Very quick learner as well.

"I don't think I would be me....."

Me too, at least I wouldn't be me without some sort of old, loud Mopar.

I was without from about 1996-2004.

...and I wasn't really me.

Auto Transport Service
Back