• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change or not to change, transmission fluid?

d9103365

Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
So I've got a fury sport that's been sitting up a few years so I'm doing the usual refresh (belts, hose replacement, etc.). I'm wondering if I should change the transmission fluid and filter? I've always heard some people say "don't touch it..leave it alone unless you have a problem...changing the fluid in an old car can cause the trans to act up". And I've heard other people say to change it regularly.

Any opinions one way or the other?

The brakes bad so I haven't been able to drive it just yet...checking the fluid it doesn't smell or have any particles in it..but it does look a little brown and the level seems a little low. But it could be that the transmission wasn't hot enough for a proper reading...due to not actually driving it.

Happy to hear any opinions.

Change it. Its when it hasn't been changed in 150000 miles and you change it things go bad. I would definitely change it.

Yup, change it and especially the filter, when it is clogged you have a problem.

I would change it if you have any doubts to its age/mileage. It isn't like the old fluid is holding anything together. If you do change it, use one of the newer reinforced rubber pan gaskets. No sense creating new leaks.

Yes, change fluid and filter.

I've had torque flights in the past that wouldn't act right, change the filter and they worked perfectly.

I have changed filter and fluid in a GM trans because they weren't acting right, and it would make them worse!

I like the cork gasket with just a light spray of Copper coat sealant. Don't over torque pan bolts...

It's supposed to be red....change it! If the trans gets worse after the change it means it was about to fail anyways.

I vote with the change it crowd. If it's been sitting for years it could have absorbed some moisture. Water in trans fluid = not good. Sounds like you are going to be doing some brake work, so make sure you flush out your brake lines with fresh fluid. Flush and replace your coolant too.

Thanks for the info.....when I let it get warm idling in neutral I get no fluid on the stick at all.....one time when I shifted into reverse it was slow to go into gear. So I added a quart of dexron. Still nowhere near the full mark after adding a quart.

The car started blowing some smoke out the exhaust after I added a couple gallons of gas to the tank...I'm thinking that the gas tank and fuel lines may need cleaning too.

Everything needs a flush and new fluids.... and repack the grease in the bearings.... I go through everything and my car hasn't been on the road in over a year.... but when it's done it will be a new car with and old car charm...

Yes, change the fluid, as was mentioned before, the fluid should be almost blood red. And if there is no sign of fluid on the dip stick I wouldn't try to put it in gear. Torqueflight in Park does not pump fluid, thats why the dip stick says to check in Neutral. When you pull it into gear and the fluid is very low the trans can't build line pressure. Without line pressure the trans does NOTHING!!!

So I talked to my transmission guy he says they can change the filter and 4 quarts of fluid or run all the fluid in the transmission thru this cleansing system that is supposed to clean all 11 or 16 or so quarts that are in the transmission....or he could do both...but that gets expensive. Any opinions on what would be best to do?

This is a much debated subject. Unless the fluid is really cooked, I would drain and fill with the 4 quarts with a quality synthetic like Amsoil. Then drive a year or few thousand miles and repeat. Flushing can knock a lot of crap loose and lead to problems. My opinion. For me it is not about cost, not doing this to save $.

When I pull the pan I clean everything with brake cleaner... let it dry and replace the fluid and overfill by a quart and after going through the gears I drain the excess from a cooler line or the drain plug in the pan I always install... the extra quart for 10 minutes cleans the places you can't reach..

Auto Transport Service
Back