• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change power steering fluid

ladd69

Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
I am about to replace both hoses on a Saginaw pump, Pressure and return, they are dry and have started to leak.
While Iam at it I want to change the fluid aswell as it looks grimy, dirty.

I would like a guide for this but cant find one.
I understand that this is an Easy task but i really want to be on the safe side, not hurting pump or box.

What comes to mind is, how do i properly flush the system?
Can i do full turns to get fluid out of the box without hurting it?
Etc..

IMG_5069.jpeg

You may be able to unhook the return hose at the pump and direct the flow into a waste oil container and plug the tube on the pump. Start the motor and add new fluid while a second person rotates the steering wheel back and forth.
Mike

You may be able to unhook the return hose at the pump and direct the flow into a waste oil container and plug the tube on the pump. Start the motor and add new fluid while a second person rotates the steering wheel back and forth.
Mike
What type of oil will you use as a replacement? Suggest using a hydraulic oil, either ISO-VIS 32 OR 46 OR 68. The Saginaw pump is a vane pump and needs/likes a hydraulic oil for anti foam, anti wear, temperature stable at pressure characteristics.....not ATF. CONSULT FSM to be sure
BOB RENTON

What type of oil will you use as a replacement? Suggest using a hydraulic oil, either ISO-VIS 32 OR 46 OR 68. The Saginaw pump is a vane pump and needs/likes a hydraulic oil for anti foam, anti wear, temperature stable at pressure characteristics.....not ATF. CONSULT FSM to be sure
BOB RENTON

I was thinkin power steering fluid, ATF might be rough on seals and o-rings.

I Will be looking into wich viskosity is best, Thanks!

You can take the belt off or loosen, put a mitivac on each line, and suction out the fluid while slowly rotating the pulley.

I don't remember the reason, but Ehrenberg has said a few times that modern power steering fluid is recommended rather than ATF. Maybe it was foaming?

I use O'Reilly's house brand power steering fluid.

I was surprised how dirty the fluid was in my pump. Steer N Gear won't warranty rebuilt steering boxes unless you change out the pump fluid.

IMG_20240131_130630777.jpg

IMG_20240131_144132777.jpg

You can take the belt off or loosen, put a mitivac on each line, and suction out the fluid while slowly rotating the pulley.

I don't remember the reason, but Ehrenberg has said a few times that modern power steering fluid is recommended rather than ATF. Maybe it was foaming?

I use O'Reilly's house brand power steering fluid.
Seems like a neat way to do it, I Will probably do so !
Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back