• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger vs Roadrunner

Charger vs Roadrunner

• Dodge Charger

Votes: 64 44.4%
  • Plymouth Roadrunner

Votes: 80 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, but what year was the Charger named Car of the Year? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Also, as I recall Road Runners outsold Chargers every year except for 1968 since production was limited, and outsold by about 20k cars. Seems like more folks liked the Roadrunner over the Charger then too. :)
How many years WAS the roadrunner built compared to the Chargers. :tongue:

vote for the roadrunner...just. :) but if it were I vote I'd say 51% roadrunner to 49% charger.

Yep, but what year was the Charger named Car of the Year? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Also, as I recall Road Runners outsold Chargers every year except for 1968 since production was limited, and outsold by about 20k cars. Seems like more folks liked the Roadrunner over the Charger then too. :)
The Roadrunner outsold the Chargers not because it was better but because that was Mopars intentions with emphases on affordability. Don't get me wrong, that's not a slam on the RR but that's what I believe made most fall in love with the RR (no frills just plain performance at a budget price). Love them both

How many years WAS the roadrunner built compared to the Chargers. :tongue:
I was there then, and they sold because they were cheap. They rode crappy, they were noisy, and the seats sucked. They rattled, and they drove like a Duster compared to a dart. When used You couldn't give them away thru 1980. I bought a 69 roadrunner in 1979 for 200 bucks.

Today is all that matters, and today Chargers generally sell for far more than any Roadrunner with the same options. Only affluent guys bought chargers, Roadrunners were at the very low end of the spectrum. The 69' was car of the year because it was popular, and cheap.Primarily cheap. My friend in 69' paid $2,200.00 bucks for a new one. the Charger was $3,200.00. or more. I do like them, as I have three GTX's, but the Roadrunner was a consumable item to Mopar, and selling the brand was the primary goal.

The Roadrunner outsold the Chargers not because it was better but because that was Mopars intentions with emphases on affordability. Don't get me wrong, that's not a slam on the RR but that's what I believe made most fall in love with the RR (no frills just plain performance at a budget price). Love them both
X2

Its not fair to call one better than the other. They offered different image for the Mopar supercar buyer in the day. The road runner was the cheap street brawler that could be optioned up to a heavyweight. The kid with a good afterschool job could get one. The Charger was a style flagship car for Dodge that could be a tame lookalike with a 318 or a Hemi badass or luxurious road car in between those two.
Me? I'm Charger all the way!

Again, as I stated in the beginning of this riduculous thread...

THE CHARGER SHOULD BE COMPARED TO THE GTX.

THE ROADRUNNERS COMPETITION WAS THE SUPERBEE

They are both great cars. I like the 68 Charger best as I like the round taillites and the 68 grille best and that 68 Charger really set the auto world on its ears with the change to that slick coke bottle look. The 68 sold way more then the 66 & 67. As for Roadrunners I have always loved them and if I ever get another Mopar it may be a Roadrunner. I like my 63 Max Wedge type car the best but the Roadrunner is my next favorite Mopar. It even fooled Ma Mopar when it was the second top selling muscle car in 1969 selling just over 84,000 cars. Only the SS 396 sold mare at over 86,000. The Charger actually sold 94,000 in 68 or 69 but only about 24,000 were the performance R/T version as you could actually even get a slant six in a Charger and many were 318's and 383 2 brll's so they were not considered performance versions unless it had the 383 four brll and up in eng size and thats where 24,000 sold. All Roadrunners in the 68-70 era were performance cars with the 335 hp 383 being the smallest eng. I really think the 69-1/2 440 six pk runner is one of the coolest looking and running muscle cars Mopar ever sold. And I love the 70 Runners with the air grabber and all. Dont get me wrong as I like Chargers alot also but I would take a 68-70 Runner over the Charger as I just like it a tad better. Ron

I park my 69' Charger R/T on cruise nights next to Roadrunner and Coronet guys just to see their faces go :( when the crowd oooohs and ahhhhs at those body lines and grill on my ride. It's not by mistake that these cars were/are used in films and shows so frequently; they exude class and sexiness. Sorry, but the name and look says it all. CHARGER :headbang:

Last edited:
One show and a few movies.... and it had made an image for the 68-70charger.... and it has become the got to have wannabe car of mopar.... or most non mopar mopar... any thing but a charger.... are they not....

I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness from the Charger guys. Must be a result of being constantly associated with the General Lee at car events for the past 30 years. :) Us Road Runner folks usually spend our time at events talking about speed and performance and the Charger guys usually end up spending hours with Billy Bob and Judy Mae answering questions about how many Chargers were really used as the General. I guess I would get a bit of defensive envyness from that too. :)

But seriously Charger guys, there's nothing wrong with wanting to own the car your Dad had to buy when your mom said "we're buying a car to drive around in, not race, so get that Charger one." :)

charger_zps33c0d28c.jpg

a121_zps0843ba2d.jpg

a122_zps68afaabe.jpg

a123_zps28ca9796.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness from the Charger guys. Must be a result of being constantly associated with the General Lee at car events for the past 30 years. :) Us Road Runner folks usually spend our time at events talking about speed and performance and the Charger guys usually end up spending hours with Billy Bob and Judy Mae answering questions about how many Chargers were really used as the General. I guess I would get a bit of defensive envyness from that too. :)

But seriously Charger guys, there's nothing wrong with wanting to own the car your Dad had to buy when your mom said "we're buying a car to drive around in, not race, so get that Charger one." :)

charger_zps33c0d28c.jpg

a121_zps0843ba2d.jpg

a122_zps68afaabe.jpg

a123_zps28ca9796.jpg

LMAO, Funny guy are we? Surprisingly I've yet to have anyone mention the General Lee at a show, they're usually to busy checking the car out! I will admit that the young kids around town all call it the General (it's orange) but I'm perfectly fine with it after all I grew up loving the Dukes and have no problem with it. No defense here, 2 great cars

For the 71-74 years, I just think the Charger's nose is a little too long. Not hating, just my preference.

For the 68-70 years, a 70 Road Runner is my all time favorite car, so that is my choice; the Air Grabber makes the car. Having said that, my all time second favorite car would be a 68 Charger. Give me either of those (or better yet, both) and I am a happy guy!

We all have our loves. :) I always hated the double-droop front of the 71-72 Road Runners for some reason.

I know it's between 71 to 74 mopar's, but If I had to chose between a Superbird and a Daytona, well I'll pick both.

ive owned both and love both,but first love is the 70 bird.most chargers were not hi-po cars,all roadrunners were hi-po cars.

Love both for different reasons. Chargers were some of the most uniquely designed cars throughout their model runs.... 68 being the best in my opinion. More luxurious and more flashy for sure.

Road runners and satellite were targeted at a totally different market segment. For this market value and economy were the image. The 66 and 67 being the most resolved from a design point of view.

By 71, the satellite was more representative of the fuselage styling direction the rest of the line up started with the C bodies in 69. Of the two I think the Satellite was more initially successful and by 73 both were targeting markets which were approaching each other as the amount of content and almost identical interiors were beginning to blur the differences that defined them in previous models.

Having said that, I love my 73 roadrunner but for the content and options that would have been more the turf of the charger in previous years.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back