• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check your tires, fellas!

Try wiping them with naptha... cleaned my 30 year old Goodyear letters that way easily.. .but those BF's have been a PITA since I was a kid... way too forking long!
superbirdcleanup2019part2 226.JPG

Last edited:
Try wiping them with naptha... cleaned my 30 year old Goodyear letters that way easily.. .but those BF's have been a PITA since I was a kid... way too forking long!
I think that's just about the only thing I haven't tried!

I was quite amazed how well it cleaned them (Naptha = Coleman stove fuel).. added a pic above. Not sure if it'll fix the brown BF's, I remember my buddy fighting with that as far back as 1979!

I take some sandpaper to them occasionally - but I'm not adverse to using a paint pen, too.
You'd think a worldwide conglomerate could figure out what the problem is...

40 years of it Ed.. they don't care. Cheap, mass produced tires..
Well, speaking strictly of the BFG's, their quality was pretty sad right before they were acquired
and Michelin's taking over did improve the product (leading to an updating of the design, actually),
so I guess it's just disappointing that such a company (whose own lines I consider the best in the
business, BTW) would lag on something as simple (but iconic) as the dang white letters!

Sonny had a steel-belted radial BLOW UP sitting in the garage week or so ago....BOOM!....belts let loose hole the size of a half dollar!
replacement was no longer available, new ones same size 74bucks.ea.
received
them the next morning!
this was the tire...just old and tired...I guess...
20150226_172131.jpg

For those of you that purchase tires from Walmart....The Goodyear Viva 3's that they sell are made by Goodyear expressly for Walmart and are junk....the cheaper brand they sell will hold up better and last longer then the Viva 3's will even though they carry a 60,000 mile warranty. The Dextero line they carry are also better then the Viva 3's........I work part time at Walmart as a service writer in their automotive department and see and hear the complaints about the tires sold there. People see "Goodyear" on the sidewall of the tire and will buy it in a heart beat even though its an inferior tire.

Last edited:
Btw, knew the tires are getting old on my diesel but didn't realize just how old they were.....15! And the fronts show some cracking in the tread grooves. They are still small but there non the less. Thinking about buying some more time and sticking them on the back. The back tires do not exhibit any cracking anywhere. These things don't have 10k miles on them and have been garage kept.
Ever since about the late 1980s, if I replaced one or two tires, they would always go on the rear. If I had a tire issue at speed, I would rather it not be on drive axle, unless it was a dually. I do have one car that is front wheel drive, but the new tires still go on the rear. Btw those 15 year old tires don't owe you anything.

Last edited:
Sonny had a steel-belted radial BLOW UP sitting in the garage week or so ago....BOOM!....belts let loose hole the size of a half dollar!
replacement was no longer available, new ones same size 74bucks.ea.
received
them the next morning!
this was the tire...just old and tired...I guess...
View attachment 1000914

BTW; Tire Rack
just replaces the 2 front....putting the front on the rear?
& rear on front?
I might try that!

378888376320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=2h9GCLSxWUwAX8d6jjq&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

694983250141_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=505679&_nc_ohc=rMw8HqNhJZEAX9wt-VR&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Ever since about the late 1980s, if I replaced one or two tires, they would always go on the rear. If I had a tire issue at speed, I would rather it not be on drive axle, unless it was a dually. I do have one car that is front wheel drive, but the new tires still go on the rear. Btw those 15 year old tires don't owe you anything.
Generally I put new tires on the back especially if the front ones are getting thin in the thread. Don't want to get caught in the rain with slick tires on the rear.....

I've heard it both ways, good on the front you can steer you way through a blow out in the rear. I know nothing!!

A car does all of its steering, 80% of its braking, and if it's a front driver all of its driving forces, with the front tires. Putting the new tires on the back is just stupid. I don't give a flying f#%k what your tire store policy is. That policy was made by lawyers afraid of lawsuits from incompetent idiots who can't drive and shouldn't be on the road.... but do know how to hire shysterlawyers.

I've heard it both ways, good on the front you can steer you way through a blow out in the rear. I know nothing!!
Bald tires on the front in the rain will hydro at around 55 but you can feel it and back off the gas. Not so much with rear baldies when they hydro....and you go for a spin before you know it that's why I always put the new tires on the back if I can't do all 4 at once. If the front tires look like maypops, then I'll do what I can to get them off. Most times my cars always have good tires but a few that I bought for fixing up but were drivers didn't always have the greatest tires on them.

I've had tires go down quick on both ends with one rear tire going down on a curve. Luckily I wasn't going all that fast and avoided getting completely sideways but it made me think it was about to. The rear did swing out towards the shoulder when the right rear went down fast and the curve was left handed. A blowout on the front (wasn't instant but quick enough) in the fast lane on a freeway but everyone heard it and backed off and gave me lots of room to pull over to the right shoulder after going from line to line in my lane lol. The stock steel rim was squared by the time I got the thing stopped. That was pretty crazy with everything in the car shaking hard. Made me wonder if my butt would be sliding on the pavement before long!

Bald tires on the front in the rain will hydro at around 55 but you can feel it and back off the gas. Not so much with rear baldies when they hydro....and you go for a spin before you know it that's why I always put the new tires on the back if I can't do all 4 at once. If the front tires look like maypops, then I'll do what I can to get them off. Most times my cars always have good tires but a few that I bought for fixing up but were drivers didn't always have the greatest tires on them.

I've had tires go down quick on both ends with one rear tire going down on a curve. Luckily I wasn't going all that fast and avoided getting completely sideways but it made me think it was about to. The rear did swing out towards the shoulder when the right rear went down fast and the curve was left handed. A blowout on the front (wasn't instant but quick enough) in the fast lane on a freeway but everyone heard it and backed off and gave me lots of room to pull over to the right shoulder after going from line to line in my lane lol. The stock steel rim was squared by the time I got the thing stopped. That was pretty crazy with everything in the car shaking hard. Made me wonder if my butt would be sliding on the pavement before long!
Why do you assume that the tires i'm not replacing are bald? Im only putting on two tires cause the other two AREN'T bald! If ive got two good tires, and i only want two new ones, the best tires are going on the front.
This is hypothetical anyway. My pickup just got four new coopers, and everything else i have, including my other daily driver, has different sizes front and rear, and the rears wont fit on the front!

Hello all.
During routine cleaning and maintenance, I found several cracks in the sidewalls of my front tires.
Date coded 2015. Less than 1500 miles, stored inside and on a lift 50% of the time (tires hanging, 2 post).

this is not to bash the manufacturer, although I think 5 years is a bit on the short side.

I bought them at summit and they prorated 25% for me under a very subjective warranty.

Anyhow, check your tires, even if they aren’t all that old.

View attachment 1000249 View attachment 1000250 View attachment 1000251
Wow ! If they were inside they should not have rotted like that !

Well I agree that most of the braking comes from the front, but then again you wouldn't want to do a whole lot of braking in the case of a blowout. All of the steering from front ? I don't think so. How would you steer without rear wheels? Same holds true with all of the driving forces from front wheels on front wheel drive cars. Nope.
I got asked a question in a deposition with a couple of them shysters a long long time ago . I had worked a wreck with a SUV , rear tire blowout rollover. He wanted me to say that a front tire blowout would be more likely to lose control. Nah.
Also if you are losing air fast, you're more likely to feel it, on front,assuming you're paying attention.
(I type slow. I see there were other comments) (also watching NASCAR so I can learn more about tires)

Last edited:
New on the rear. Ever see a car or trailer "jack-knife?" That is when the rear end tries to be the front and the car goes into a spin. No control. Having more traction on the rear allows you to keep the car in a straight ahead attitude my just touching the brakes, like a trailer brake in low traction conditions. A flat tire in the front is more controllable if you don't slam on the brakes. That is just lack of proper driver training/experience. Front flat...just ease of the throttle and let the vehicle slow down. You have a steering wheel in your hands to compensate for any lateral movements. DO NOT hit the brakes !
Check your air pressures regularly and don't go by the the max inflation that is shown on the tire. That is Not the recommended pressure, only the maximum safe cold air pressure that the tire is factory rated for. The recommended pressure is on the drivers door jam. Keep your own air pressure gauge in the car. If you use the same gauge, even if it is slightly off you will at least get consistent readings. Using a different gauge whenever you check the pressure may give you false readings because of differences in accuracy from gauge to gauge.

Just an FYI The majority of flat tires are right rear in countries where you drive on the right side of the road....
40 years working for major tire manufacturers.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back