• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check your tires, fellas!

New on the rear. Ever see a car or trailer "jack-knife?" That is when the rear end tries to be the front and the car goes into a spin. No control. Having more traction on the rear allows you to keep the car in a straight ahead attitude my just touching the brakes, like a trailer brake in low traction conditions. A flat tire in the front is more controllable if you don't slam on the brakes. That is just lack of proper driver training/experience. Front flat...just ease of the throttle and let the vehicle slow down. You have a steering wheel in your hands to compensate for any lateral movements. DO NOT hit the brakes !
This is exactly why i have my slicks on the rear for street driving , more traction in the rear to avoid spins.

@MoparLeo Please explain to me why you disagreed with me putting the new/better tires on the rear. Thanks.

Pretty easy to learn to read the date codes on tires. I refuse to buy tires at any shop that are older then 6 months, I have seen tires up to 3 years old being sold as "new". I have tried to bargain with them on these "new" old tires but they seldom will even consider selling them for less, figuring they can sell them to some poor schmuck who doesn't know anything and get full price.

You need equal or better traction on rear tires so back does not pass front

Cranky just a bad aim with my finger, fixed it. People just need to understand understeer and oversteer to know which is safer. Understeer is always safer than oversteer. Over steer is when the back end wants to come around on you and putting your foot to the floor to get control is just fantasy. We are not on a dirt track.
Actually the problem with most employers regardless of what they sell do not take the time to properly train their employees. It is more often just ignorance not purposefully trying to rip off the public . You need to educate yourself and not assume that the person you are asking for information really knows any more than you. Usually he knows less.

You are normally using chains and driving at much lower speeds in the Snow, if you are a safe driver. And you should have the same type of tire on all 4 corners in the snow. Chains on front and rear for steering and if it is rear wheel drive, for traction as well.

Cranky just a bad aim with my finger, fixed it. People just need to understand understeer and oversteer to know which is safer. Understeer is always safer than oversteer. Over steer is when the back end wants to come around on you and putting your foot to the floor to get control is just fantasy. We are not on a dirt track.
Actually the problem with most employers regardless of what they sell do not take the time to properly train their employees. It is more often just ignorance not purposefully trying to rip off the public . You need to educate yourself and not assume that the person you are asking for information really knows any more than you. Usually he knows less.
Well, I'm one that would rather have a touch of oversteer than understeer and I'm well versed with both. I've been in more trouble with vehicles that had too much understeer than oversteer. Imo, understeer is for the ones that don't know how to drive but a neutral handling vehicle is best but one with a tad of oversteer is more fun :D

They design in understeer just because few people really know how to drive in anything other than ideal conditions. Designed for the masses. They do make cars for "drivers" as well. Think SRT, SVO, ....

Auto Transport Service
Back