• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Checking signal to coil

WesleyK

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
Ok, 68 Super Bee 383. I just installed the dash and cluster which was gone through and restored by Tachman. Installed petronix ignition 1381-a, and petronix coil as well. Car started and tic toc tach stumbled then caught up, everything was looking good. Then tac quit while car was running. Turned it off now it won’t fire. No fire at plugs. Here’s the procedure I followed to check coil signal. I hooked my test light to the negative side of coil then the light to the positive on the battery. Test light comes on, turn the key to run, light goes off. Then to start and the light doesn’t flash like I’m thinking it should. I have 11 volts at the coil, and about 9 when starting. Any help is appreciated. I’m thinking my gauges and the firing are two separate problems but I’m not sure. I have bypassed the ballast as well. Even direct wired the red wire on the petronix with no change.

Last edited:
Hi WK,....Get it firing yet ?

check the petronix ignition wiring.

With power on, just tap-tap-tap a ground wire to the coil negative (-) and you should get a spark from the coil wire.
If not disconnect the tachometer lead, and try again, but from the original test it sounds like nothing like the tach is shorting to ground (Light going off when power turned on.) so it sounds like the petronix is not triggering/switching the coils(-) to ground to charge the ignition coil.

Seems to be a bad module, I’ve done a number of test petronix recommended and all point tot a bad module. I did unhook the tac lead and nothing changed. So warranty is sending me a new one. Thanks guys!

Auto Transport Service
Back