• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chestnut workbench in the making.

Feel like a piker...all I did today was make Lasagna....
I'm going to have to slow down, wife is probably getting tired of me living in the garage.... come to think of it she's been pretty happy lately:realcrazy:.

So you think this is white oak? I admit it has the same quarter sawn grain but I was certain it was Chestnut after some research? From what I've looked up it seams the end grain is the biggest indicator which this lumber matches plus it's not anything like white oak to work with but than again this came off of a 100+ year old barn too. If you've got some input please share so I'm not misrepresenting it since the thread title says Chestnut.

When you look at the end grain between chestnut and oak - oak will have ‘lines’ running across the grain, chestnut does not have the lines running across the grain.

Thanks, I've got exactly 32 boards sanded, stained and cleared that will make that easy lol. I know I saw plenty of Oak in the mix, I'll check them out next time I'm in the garage.

IT'S DONE!!! Installing this many drawer pulls meant making a drill jig so I only had to measure once then go drill crazy lol. Time to clean up and get all of this junk off of my bench top.
20190102_202328.jpg
20190102_202311.jpg
20190102_202306.jpg
20190102_202248.jpg
20190102_202227.jpg

Dayam!! That is nice!!! And well, I've slept in the shop several times but don't have to anymore! :D :D

Man - That is one sweet workbench! Would you mind putting me in your will for it in the event you tip over before I do? Very, very nice!

When you look at the end grain between chestnut and oak - oak will have ‘lines’ running across the grain, chestnut does not have the lines running across the grain.
Looks like every single drawer front is Oak... dammit. Oh well I guess at least it has some in the framework which makes sense given the barn. The barn was built from salvaged beams from an older barn then sided with newer lumber.

Dayam!! That is nice!!! And well, I've slept in the shop several times but don't have to anymore! :D :D
Might need a moderator to change the name of this thread to "Barn wood workbench":realcrazy:. It's looking like more and more of this bench is becoming OAK not Chestnut! Oh well I'm really liking the aged look of the lumber and all of the quarter sawn pieces scattered about.

Last edited:
I doesn't really matter what species the wood is , it's beautiful nonetheless. Great job!!

I think the only thing I would add is a toe board in all the floor gaps so that small bolts and such don't roll up under it. That makes me crazy.

I think the only thing I would add is a toe board in all the floor gaps so that small bolts and such don't roll up under it. That makes me crazy.
There's a good reason for it being open. I wanted the garage set up in a way that I could grab a garden hose and wash the whole floor from time to time, having it tight to the floor doesn't allow airflow which results in mold. This is also why it sits on 1/2" thick plastic feet and why all walls sit on at least 1 coarse of block. Yes it sucks to have crap roll under the bench but it's easy to reach under. Our last garage had a real problem with wet floors and it would begin to stink of mildew even after thoroughly drying it out, I assume it was the cabinets and workbenches sitting on the floor that caused the problem?

IT'S DONE!!! Installing this many drawer pulls meant making a drill jig so I only had to measure once then go drill crazy lol. Time to clean up and get all of this junk off of my bench top.
Amazing work as usual! I miss the woodworking dad and I used to do.

Amazing work as usual! I miss the woodworking dad and I used to do.
Thanks, much appreciated.

I can't even begin to imagine what I WOULDN'T know how to do if not for my dad. He was a machinist/tool and die maker his whole life but dabbled in everything and constantly invested in tools and equipment. Thanks to watching him build everything and having the tools I learned young.

Love the classic old bench look. Nicely done!
Appreciate it.
I was really aiming for a classic look but wasn't sure if I'd pull it off, I'm pretty pleased with it but am already getting the drawers full!

Thanks, much appreciated.

I can't even begin to imagine what I WOULDN'T know how to do if not for my dad. He was a machinist/tool and die maker his whole life but dabbled in everything and constantly invested in tools and equipment. Thanks to watching him build everything and having the tools I learned young.
Same here. I’ve yet to see anything my dad can’t do, even at 75 years young.

Auto Transport Service
Back