• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome box melted

Dug one out of the toolbox on my old truck once. Had a spark plug wire melted into the jelly on it. It got me home

When I bought my GTX there were quite a few boxes of parts that came with it. In one with the wiring harnesses was an orange box....it melted over everything. I salvaged the harness ends but tossed a bunch because that crap was like honey on everything.

When the Chrome box first came out years ago, I remember reading that they were meant for race only and not for daily drivers. I really have no clue as to why it was but may have something to do with being energized for long periods (like a 200 mile trip) overheats them.

That's what they used to say that the chrome box was for racing and the orange box was for the street. They also said they don't like to see the chrome box on street cars because they don't like the chrome box running and/or idling for more then 30 minutes. I believe they felt it may overheat in street car operation. But I worked as a Dodge tech for 24 years and it was not uncommon to see factory stock cars come in the shop with some of the glue melting out of the box and most still ran fine but not always.

But that said over the last 40 years I have seen many guys run the chrome box on street cars. Myself I have been using the same orange box since 2001 and its on my 63 now. The car never misses a beat with it and runs in the 10's using it. I shift at 6200 and trap around 6400 using it. Myself I would get another box and keep that one in the trunk for a spare if you have been happy with the Mopar ign. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back