• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic wheels that fit over viper style brakes

tgc

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello all

Need some help finding a set of wheels for my 71 GTX. Intent of the car is street driving and autocross in the CAM class. I would like to run a 18 in the rear and a 17 in the front while using diff doctors viper brakes in the front.

While I would like to use the big brakes I can't seem to find a classic looking wheel that has sufficient brake clearance. The wheels I really like are the et classic v or the et lt-iii but only have 1-1/16" clearance. I understand the viper style brakes require 1-1/2" clearance. I don't know if this is correct though.

Any input getting big brakes with a classic looking wheel would be appreciated.

Hello all

Need some help finding a set of wheels for my 71 GTX. Intent of the car is street driving and autocross in the CAM class. I would like to run a 18 in the rear and a 17 in the front while using diff doctors viper brakes in the front.

While I would like to use the big brakes I can't seem to find a classic looking wheel that has sufficient brake clearance. The wheels I really like are the et classic v or the et lt-iii but only have 1-1/16" clearance. I understand the viper style brakes require 1-1/2" clearance. I don't know if this is correct though.

Any input getting big brakes with a classic looking wheel would be appreciated.

Honestly, the GEN 2 viper calipers are.. H-U-G-E as Donald would say, I had Dr. Diffs viper kit prior to upgrading to his Stage 4 setup. Do you already have the brakes, if not, I would do some 'soul searching' and go with at least the Stage 3 kit with 13" rotors and Cobra calipers for 17's. I walked out to the garage with my 11.75" rotors, placed them next to my 18" wheels, and instantly put them up for sale. His stage 4 'Brembo' calipers are made by Baers supplier for Ferrari, and take modern Viper pads, so many race-oriented compounds are available (He will ship you whatever pad you would like for your kit for a small upcharge, just let him know prior to ordering). 11.75" rotors look great on 15" wheels, but visually look undersized when you toss on 17's or 18's, especially on a 71' which already is a bit oversized. Just my honest opinion! Can't help you on the vintage wheel choice, as most classic wheels won't accept the viper calipers (has been discussed many times on various forums, even the yearone 17" rallye's won't work).

Last edited:
No, I don't own either the brakes or the wheels just yet. Trying to find a brake wheel package that fits together before I spend the loot.

I do agree with you on the fact that the 11.75 will look to small on a 17 wheel. That brake setup really isn't something that I wasn't to consider. So stage 3 is the minimum setup that I want.

Do you know where I can find the dimensions of the cobra style brakes so I can find a wheel that fits the brake setup?

IMG_0534.JPG
Also, this is the look I am wanting. Just need to figure what's that largest brake I can get in the rims.

No, I don't own either the brakes or the wheels just yet. Trying to find a brake wheel package that fits together before I spend the loot.

I do agree with you on the fact that the 11.75 will look to small on a 17 wheel. That brake setup really isn't something that I wasn't to consider. So stage 3 is the minimum setup that I want.

Do you know where I can find the dimensions of the cobra style brakes so I can find a wheel that fits the brake setup?

Just send Dr. Diff (Cass) an email regarding the dimensions, he normally responds fairly quickly.

Cass's email:
[email protected]

Just send Dr. Diff (Cass) an email regarding the dimensions, he normally responds fairly quickly.

Cass's email:
[email protected]

I actually did do this a while ago. He told me to just ask the wheel manufacture if their wheels fit cobra breaks.

For some reason I can't get anyone to give me the dimensions of the brakes.

Thanks. I'll dig around on that site also. I spent some time over on protouring mopar.com but that site seems to not have much action.

BTW
Have you tried giving American Racing a call?
http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/5450/vn405-custom-torq-thrust-ii

That's about what you're looking for right? They go up to 18x11's, pricey though! Could easily get by with larger calipers on this model. . . I only paid $600 for my set, and you're possibly looking at . . . $500-$700 each if you go custom, wow!

Or...

Check these out, these may work for you @ $215-270 each;
Rear: http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-racing-wheel-18x10-torq-thrust-m-chrome-1994-2004/p/W285-V/ or http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-racing-wheel-18x10-torq-thrust-m-anthracite-1994-2004/p/W283-V/
Front: http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-racing-wheel-18x9-torq-thrust-m-chrome-2005-2014/p/W275-V/ or http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-racing-wheel-18x9-torq-thrust-m-anthracite-2005-2014/p/W259-V/

The only reason I recommend the mustang wheels, is that they're heavily discounted (for the most part) and have an identical bolt pattern. For my b-body, the formula is 94-04 rears and 05-14 fronts to get a proper offset/backspacing. It may be different for you, just trying to help out! I had to utilize a slight spacer on the rear to keep them off the leafs, and another in the front to give a few millimeters worth of clearance on the hubs. Also, you'll need to find some proper acorn-style lug nuts with a smaller diameter head in order to fit a socket into the wheels to torque them (try and order lugnuts with the wheels, took me two days of driving around two to find enough in-stock!).

Last edited:
BTW
Have you tried giving American Racing a call?
http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/5450/vn405-custom-torq-thrust-ii

That's about what you're looking for right? They go up to 18x11's, pricey though! Could easily get by with larger calipers on this model. . . I only paid $600 for my set, and you're possibly looking at . . . $500-$700 each if you go custom, wow!

Yes, the torq thrust style wheel is what I'm looking for. I do like the raw cast look with the machined lip like e-t wheels though. I guess my biggest road block is not just picking out the wheel, but finding the brake clearance the wheel has and the space required for a stage 3 or 4 brake setup.

I'll email the diff doc and try to get some dimensions from him once again.

Yes, the torq thrust style wheel is what I'm looking for. I do like the raw cast look with the machined lip like e-t wheels though. I guess my biggest road block is not just picking out the wheel, but finding the brake clearance the wheel has and the space required for a stage 3 or 4 brake setup.

I'll email the diff doc and try to get some dimensions from him once again.

These wheels fit 05-14 mustangs, so you'll have no issues with caliper clearance or limited availability (could you imagine curb rash on a $1,000 custom wheel?!). They have a positive wheel offset (1.3") with a large amount of backspacing (6.34"). This is unlike anything you'll find 'off the shelf' for a classic Mopar, as most are neutral offset and utilize 4.5-5.5" of backspacing. I run his stage four kit, the 'brembo' calipers are nearly identical in size to the GEN 2 viper setup. I have absolutely no issues with clearance, and obviously, mustang wheels aren't going to have any issue accepting a mustang specific brake caliper (as in his stage 3 kit).

Last edited:
These wheels fit 05-14 mustangs, so you'll have no issues with caliper clearance or limited availability (could you imagine curb rash on a $1,000 custom wheel?!). They have a positive wheel offset (1.3") with a large amount of backspacing (6.34"). This is unlike anything you'll find 'off the shelf' for a classic Mopar, as most are neutral offset and utilize 4.5-5.5" of backspacing. I run his stage four kit, the 'brembo' calipers are nearly identical in size to the GEN 2 viper setup. I have absolutely no issues with clearance, and obviously, mustang wheels aren't going to have any issue accepting a mustang specific brake caliper (as in his stage 3 kit).
Ah, I see what you saying now! This is a good low buck option that I will look into. Thank you very much!

Ah, I see what you saying now! This is a good low buck option that I will look into. Thank you very much!

Not a problem, just do a bit of measuring prior to ordering. Money is spent better elsewhere to get that bird' to perform, hope this option can possibly work out for you.

Not a problem, just do a bit of measuring prior to ordering. Money is spent better elsewhere to get that bird' to perform, hope this option can possibly work out for you.
Again, thank you.
And yes, I will be doing some carful measuring to get the tires tucked in those fenders.

Making my bird handle is equally important as the motor making power.

Auto Transport Service
Back