• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coating over old paint and decals question......

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
My neighbor wants me to clear coat his old Hondas tank and covers. Metal tank and plastic covers I assume was painted with enamel 50 years ago and added decals. How safe would that be doing that. In the past using some clear coats I used a urethane reducer , and I think now they make some that is not reduced. Pretty sure reducer in the clear would lift old enamel, yes-no, but would non reduced clear possibly lift paint or decals. Would spray bomb clears be a better choice. We concerned todays non ethanol gas, if spilled, WILL eventually lift the old paint.....thanks....

IMG_0459.jpg

The enamel more than likely had hardner in it when applied (if it's factory) so it won't lift. You could test it under the tank if you're not sure.

Do the decals have clear over them? If not there might be an adhesion problem. You'll need to use an adhesion promoter over them and it wouldn't hurt to spray the whole works with it. Use a water base wax and grease prep so it won't damage the decals.

There are clear coats that are fuel resistant. Best I used was by House of Colors.

Or you can just keep a good quality wax on the parts. Factory paint will hold up to e fuels. You should be using an e free gas if you can in that Honda.

The tank and covers have the decals attached directly over the paint, no cc at all. He does use non e gas here but knows at some point e gas may be all that is available to get home. He has some paint touch up spots to deal with and I think using some adhesion promoter is a great idea and then will try to cc. Thanks kk.

Auto Transport Service
Back