• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CNC Ported 318 Poly Heads

The old Poly design always had potential, but IMO, and due mainly to a lack of aftermarket attention "back in the day" for even the most basic things like Intakes & Headers ? that potential was just never researched much ?

Nice to see them finally being exploited

Wonderful Poly work.
Has anyone got a Poly Roller cam going spare please?
I have contacted most of the major cam makers and no joy as yet.
Looking for something around .600 to .650 lift and loads of duration 240/250@50.
Currently running a .525 Schneider flat tappet in a 402ci Poly and want to get serious like the Hinkles etc.

Best wishes from a UK Polyman.

Some one asked about hood clearance in a above post. This is a 64 Dodge B body with the Chrysler Power intake,Edelbrock carb and the Air cleaner is a repop Max Wedge. No problem.

IMG_2722.jpg

This is a neat thread....
I think now that I am officially retired(not accepting any new builds), once I clean up the remaining half dozen or so Engines I am committed to doing..... I may fart around with an old Poly just for fun ?

Wonderful Poly work.
Has anyone got a Poly Roller cam going spare please?
I have contacted most of the major cam makers and no joy as yet.
Looking for something around .600 to .650 lift and loads of duration 240/250@50.
Currently running a .525 Schneider flat tappet in a 402ci Poly and want to get serious like the Hinkles etc.

Best wishes from a UK Polyman.

Did you mean "Off the Shelf" and ready to go type Roller Cams for a Poly are NOT available from the majors ? That I believe, but what about getting one ground from scratch ?
That's never cost us more than maybe $20 extra for any other type Engine ?

Billet Cam Core blanks for a Roller to fit a Poly shouldn't be a problem for any Cam manufacturer ? same as the LA Engine lobe spacing/core length ?
Meaning...
although the Cam Lobe "arrangement" is different, poly being IEIEIEIE down a bank versus EIIEEIIE for the LA, the actual Lobes themselves are in the same places and don't care when grinding from scratch whether it's an Intake or Exhaust put on it ?

All a guy should have to do is some Head Flow R & D... get in the Lobe Profile catalogues for whoever, Comp, Crane, etc., run some wave factor sims(don't use fill & dump) and pick some Lobes to put on the Core ? Specify your LSA and I/C line, firing order obviously(skip the 4/7 swap) and away you go.

Many thanx for the reply Chally 340.
A couple of years has gone by ‘in a blink’, 2020 was/is write off, so thinking about ‘21-a-comeback-year’ for many of us?
Flat tappets just give me the ‘shivers’ of despair...
Always want to go roller now, even in a mild build!
Was hoping someone may have Poly Roller cam they tried and not used for a ‘bigger-better’ one lol...
Comp-cams have done some and just need to FIND the folks who have them ‘spare’.

Not looking to break records or re-invent the post-poly era, just want to run a decent roller, FOR PEACE of MIND...:drinks:

Many thanx to Coronet 500 for starting this wonderful thread!
I will hopefully join in the fun next year 2021 with my own 66 Coronet 402ci poly car...
Once she goes down the 1320 here in England, we can see ‘what the benchmark is’ for us Limey Poly owners lol...
Best wishes from the UK, polyjon

Last edited:
What happened to you Scott?
Is there a track time or A Dyno read-out for the Mega Poly?
Us 66 POLY Coronet owners need to what the benchmark is lol...:mob:

Happy New Year Scott!

Are you coming back to delight us with more Polytastic engine work?

Where are you hiding withe the 394 Poly monster???

Auto Transport Service
Back