• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Code Compliance Lady Hates me

Stevo427

Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
There's a lady who works for the city that doesnt like me because her and my roomate got in an arguement a couple months back.. I have my 69 Roadrunner in the back of my driveway under a car cover. The car is registered as NON OP and I have been restoring it for the past year or so but now she's saying since it doesn't run I cant park it in my own driveway(You can barely see the car, its about 40-50 feet from the sidewalk behind our motorcycle trailer) I have to find a garage or store it somewhere..Thoughts?...I cant put it in a temporary car garage thing because that's against code also. This lady was smiling ear to ear the whole time she was telling me I had to get rid of my car. She purposely comes by here all the time to try and find things against code(This time it was a bush going into the neighbors yard a little bit). There are cars just like mine in a bunch of driveways but since "I didn't get a complaint about anyone else's I cant do anything". She's the one putting in the complaints

Go over her head and claim harassment. What else can she do ? She already hates you.

Take pictures of all the "violations" in a three block (or more) radius.

If necessary, have someone else complain about them, so at least your code officer friend will have some work to do.

Be prepared to take your car to a self storage facility, at least temporarily.

Investigate a "Bull Shed" type building, or, as I did, a "Carolina Carport". I found a near perfect match for the CC metal siding at Lowes, and built my own walls (minus the gables), saving about $2500 versus having them built a totally enclosed structure. Doors were the hard part, but not 100% necessary at this point.

I'm going to talk to her tomorrow and record the talk and see if I can catch her in something along those lines.

.......just don't fall for the old, "Hey I'll let you see my junk, if you don't write me a ticket line", because in her mind, she's already seen it, hehe.:laughing6:

....but also, many city ordinances has a compliance rule about site visits and a reasonable time frame to comply, I'd read up on it as she clearly spend too much time sniffing in your yard sir.

That happened in our neighborhood, but it was for dozens of residents.

All the cases got dropped, but the county never bothered to tell the residents!

That happened in our neighborhood, but it was for dozens of residents.

All the cases got dropped, but the county never bothered to tell the residents!

......sounds like my town, Arlington, Texas.

Take pictures of all the "violations" in a three block (or more) radius.

If necessary, have someone else complain about them, so at least your code officer friend will have some work to do.

Be prepared to take your car to a self storage facility, at least temporarily.

Investigate a "Bull Shed" type building, or, as I did, a "Carolina Carport". I found a near perfect match for the CC metal siding at Lowes, and built my own walls (minus the gables), saving about $2500 versus having them built a totally enclosed structure. Doors were the hard part, but not 100% necessary at this point.
I don't want to drag everyone with me but if it makes a difference theres atleast 30-40 cars like mine in a 3 block radius. **** there's a 69 superbee rotting away out in the open a block down!

I agree, with other posters, maybe just go over her head, take photos of your yard & driveway {especially if it isn't in disarray/shambles}, talk to her supervisor & by all means, file a complaint about her... Hopefully you don't open a can of worms, especially If it's a city/town ordinance, "that's actually enforced" {or she's friends or in good graces/standings with her supervisor}, you maybe chit out of luck too... I'm sorry to hear your having these type issues... Home Owners Associations can be a real pain in the arse too... I know I don't want to live next to someone who has a bunch of derelict parked cars & junk all over either, I can understand the city/town or even HOA ordinances sometimes, but just one car that's being worked on, is pretty damn "nit picky", if I understand that's the actual case & then it sounds like she's being pretty unreasonable & probably unfairly targeting you... Good luck with the 69 RR project & especially your dealings with the city...

I think all I need to solve this problem is some chloroform, big metal pipe, and go rent a backhoe for the weekend :laughing6:

I think all I need to solve this problem is some chloroform, big metal pipe, and go rent a backhoe for the weekend :laughing6:

LOL... now now

19.12.025. Automobile repair and painting restrictions.

The performance of major automobile repairs and replacement of engines, transmissions, clutches, axles, pumps, alternators, brakes, shocks and similar work, including the repair and painting of automobile body or parts, outside a permitted structure and for a period exceeding seventy-two consecutive hours within any thirty-day period, shall be prohibited. Allowed repairs shall be limited to vehicles registered to the owner or occupant of such property, or an immediate family member of such owner or occupant. (Ord. 98-933 § 1(6) (part), 1998; Ord. 98-931 § 7 (part), 1998)

What a Jackass Bitch! Get a Copy of the Code book and Nitpick her Property! Goodluck!

19.12.025. Automobile repair and painting restrictions.

The performance of major automobile repairs and replacement of engines, transmissions, clutches, axles, pumps, alternators, brakes, shocks and similar work, including the repair and painting of automobile body or parts, outside a permitted structure and for a period exceeding seventy-two consecutive hours within any thirty-day period, shall be prohibited. Allowed repairs shall be limited to vehicles registered to the owner or occupant of such property, or an immediate family member of such owner or occupant. (Ord. 98-933 § 1(6) (part), 1998; Ord. 98-931 § 7 (part), 1998)

What a Jackass Bitch! Get a Copy of the Code book and Nitpick her Property! Goodluck!
So If I'm reading that correctly I should be allowed to repair my own car on my own property? Correct?!

- - - Updated - - -

Re reading that I don't think my repairs meet the allowed repair list.

- - - Updated - - -

I do want to find out where she lives and report her for everything she has also. I'm going to get her name tomorrow and hunt her down.

Just don't do it for more than 72 consecutive hours in any 30 day period. I don't think anyone on this sight is going to work on their car for more than 72 CONSECUTIVE hours.

That is interstingly worded. I'd wager it will be interpreted as the vehicle not sitting in an "under repair" state for more than 72 hours, and that you'll need a good lawyer to argue the letter of the law, as far a consecutive repair hours goes.

Where I live, the home address and salary of state, county and municipal employees is public record.

In fact, as I vaguely referenced earlier- something like this was done in reverse, by an ex-city manager in the city where my mom lives. They canvassed the entire city and submitted complaints about EVERY code violation they saw, in order to retaliate agaist the city for terminating their contract.

Oddly, those violations were enforced, but the ones in my neighborhood, by an overzealous new hire, were rescinded.

I don't believe we have "non-op" registration down here, but there is odd wording about "non-operational" vehicles, that specifies that they must be completely out of view, specifically to include vew from second story windows of adjacent property.

Check your local laws on recording someone without their knowledge, it may be illegal. I agree, go over her head!

See if theres an exemption for special interest vehicles. If there is shoe polish numbers and e/t on the windows and claim its a race car. Worked for me where I live.Screw her!

Auto Transport Service
Back