• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Code Compliance Lady Hates me

Wow, every time I read one of these threads I'm reminded why I've always refused to live in town or anywhere populated "I feel for ya". Sounds like a real bitch, I would do as others have suggested and go after her. My best advice is "move" haha. For those of you that have never lived in BFE I'll tell you "do what you want when you want where you want" like I said I feel for you and hope it works out.

Wow, every time I read one of these threads I'm reminded why I've always refused to live in town or anywhere populated "I feel for ya". Sounds like a real bitch, I would do as others have suggested and go after her. My best advice is "move" haha. For those of you that have never lived in BFE I'll tell you "do what you want when you want where you want" like I said I feel for you and hope it works out.

yep :iamwithstupid: I got away from the big shitty in 1997 {& in 1983 too, long story, lived in Alaska}, I couldn't ever live there in any big shitty ever again... I have always lived in really nice neighborhoods too... I hate HOA's even more than city reg.s or problems, now as long as I'm respectful of my neighbors, I do what I want to, when I want to... I will never go back... It's so much nicer in the burbs or out in the country, well worth the added cost to be away from all that petty type city chit & all the crime... :headbang:

If you have good neighbors have them sign a petition saying they do not object to your car

then you will know if one of them complained

then take it to her boss

waste of time call a lawyer who is friendly with the local town. Otherwise they will continue to cause grief. Or call the mayors office and get help.
I'm going to take the advise of others and go over her head with this. I have taken pictures of the car and how you cant even see it. This is ridiculous. Most my neighbors have cars sitting on lawns, motorhomes on grass, and etc. She is just harassing us.

Find a used enclosed car trailer and park the car inside the trailer next to the motorcycle trailer. When you need to work on the car just roll it out and park in back the trailer when you're finished. When you're finished with the car sell the car trailer.

Damn government regulations.....

You need to seek a "variance" to the code....that will get you a meeting with the "board"...the you will then get to say your piece without the bit#* just saying no... show pics of the neighborhood ...If they are all against you you never would have won anyhow...at least you can say and show your side....

Here's where the car is at. You can only see it if your directly in front of the house. It is under the tan car cover in the very back
photo (36).jpg
photo (37).jpg
photo (38).JPG

I was constantly getting harassed also with my GTX in the driveway. Every week for years and I just ignored them. I then started getting the letters from city code compliance. After the second letter I decided to look up the codes for parking vehicles in your driveway of the house I own. Low and behold there is a provision for classic cars. If you have what is considered a classic vehicle by law you can have it parked in your driveway 1. keep all tires inflated 2. keep the area around the vehicle clean (no spider webs car parts and the such) 3. Belong to a car club You can and will not be required to relocate the said vehicle. Gotcha city... I called the city manager and had him meet me at my house and proceeded to ask questions. 1 Do you see an eyesore here? Answer no. What problems do you have that the vehicle was last registered in Cali in 1993 and has not run since then? Answer YES. So what are you going to do about it? Answer have it towed at your expense. I laughed at him then showed him the code about classic vehicles and the car club I belonged to in Chino Calif. and you should have seen his face at this point and how speechless he was. I asked him again what he was going to do about it and he just walked away.... This was 4 yrs ago. And to this day nothing has been said about it again from the city!! NADA!!. So please do your home work and check the codes it might be a little hidden but you might get lucky and nail your bitch look for anything that you can use as a loophole. By the way my GTX is down to only front and rear windows and dash as we speak. Almost ready for blasting and every time code enforcement drives by I just smile and wave and they try not to even look my way.

Good luck and I hope you can get some resolve and satisfaction

Crap like this pisses me off to no end but unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it if it's spelled out in the CCR's. Many moons ago I had a similar problem with neighbors in the neighborhood where I grew up and have had every agency called on me. Police, fire, city, Bureau of auto repair and probably others but it never amounted to much.

Here is what I figured out through all this: The city can only do something about your car if it's on your property. The police can only do something to your car if it's in the street. So all you need to do is when the city is looking to inspect your property, make sure the car is in the street and vice versa. This was back when you didn't need insurance to register a car and the cops would give the three day notice for a car that was in the street. When I got the notice from the cops I pushed the car in the driveway and I was in compliance. Then the a$$hole neighbor would see the car in the driveway and call the city and we would get a letter stating a certain amount of time to remove the car. A day or two before the inspection it went back in the street and the inspection showed I was in compliance. I did this for a few years until I wore the a$$hole neighbors out. Even the city knew how stupid this was but had to respond to the complaint. Heck, the neighbor was even taking pictures of my cars and kept a file on me!! I $hit you not; I seen it! He had pics and plate numbers on the back of every car I owned in the 80's plus my friends cars. What might have put an end to this BS was when I finished my 68 Mustang GT in 91, I took a pic and wrote the plate number on the back and handed him the pic saying it was for your file.

These days you need to tread lightly and know the code inside and out. Because you can guarantee this lady does. Or I suppose you can just do what the guy in Granby CO did in his response to city hall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

They got there codes locked down pretty tight. Only loophole I could find would be an enclosed trailer. But I'm not dropping 5 grand on one. After reading this it looks like I'll have to find a place to store the car until I move. Which sucks, but is better then it going to a scrapper
"When the city has contracted with or granted a franchise to any person(s), such person(s) may remove a vehicle from a highway or from private or public property, after a determination by a designated employee or officer, that the vehicle or part is abandoned. Such person or persons may enter upon private or public property, subject to warrant requirements under law, to remove or cause the removal of a vehicle or part pursuant to the provisions of this chapter."

" Pursuant to authority under Vehicle Code Section 22660, if a designated employee or officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a vehicle or part has been abandoned, or that a wrecked, dismantled, or inoperative vehicle or part has been parked, stored or left on public or private property in violation of the provisions of this chapter, the designated employee or officer may abate and remove the vehicle or part as a public nuisance in accordance with the procedures prescribed in this chapter. (Ord. 99-948 § 2, 1999)"

I cant believe they actually have the right to tow a vehicle out of my own driveway. Pretty damn absurd. At least I'll get a 15 day notice if it happens. I need to move out to the sticks

I would attempt to prove that you are being singled out.

See if you can do a FOIA request on all her open cases.

Sometimes people with a small amount of power don't even know their own actions can get them in trouble, and don't expect the target of their abuse to know anything, do anything or even find out about what they are doing, or what their rights are.

Definitely ask to speak to her supervisor, and ask for a written explanation and how your situation is different than the other dozens of neighbors with a similarly stored vehicle.

I will NEVER live in a HOA area, and sought out my current residence because it is non-cookie cutter homes on relatively large lots, and pre-sale reconnaissance revealed lots of residents with cars, boats, etc in their yards, but not as eyesores.

Also She was suppose to come here on the 6th to check the siding on our house which we repaired. But she showed up on the 11th unannounced and entered our property

Auto Transport Service
Back