• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Case Radiator false info

I agree with both sides to this. The listing isn't correct but also if the fan is going to touch it, having 1/4" clearance isn't enough either!
The clearance is more than 1/4", but taking away 1/4" puts it too close. I used a 3" overall thick radiator n had no issues up to 6k rpm. I had a 3-1/4" radiator that the fan chewed up. 1/4" makes all the difference in the world.

Well...
I have to say out of all of the struggles I've had between the Wraptor serpentine belt and accessories system and Cooling Components brand electric fans, and the Cold Case radiator and their fan and shroud assembly, Cold Case/Max Performance has been the best, most customer centered company.
On the GTO, I thought a half inch of clearance was enough for the factory clutch fan, but I learned the hard way that it wasn't, and I don't know what I'm going to do about the circle that carved its way into my new Cold Case radiator. They did issue a Return Authorization for the dual electric fan and shroud assembly I got from them, although now I suspect another issue is causing the overheating problem, I also have NO faith in an electric fan as my primary cooling system radiator fan.
On my Roadrunner, the same brand radiator as the OP has works great (mine is for a manual transmission) but the Wraptor reduces the space available so I am having to use a less efficient triangle shaped blades flex fan and 2x 10" SPAL pusher fans, but that works great, and the electric fans shut off at 55 mph, and the temps are fine.
Bottom line is the Cold Case radiators are a good value and work well, but any mods away from factory take some work to get right.
Here are the dimensions from the Cold Case website. It clearly shows the overall thickness is 3.25"
View attachment 1020068
Yes, they did "just" fix it. When I had the conversation w them earlier it still showed 3" as the Summit ad above shows.

Someone or multiple people gave you bad service. We should be paying for the return if you purchased the radiator directly from Cold Case and not a dealer.

Also, I'm sorry the listing was incorrect. I believe the actual core measurement is correct. Sometimes the side panel structure or tanks can cause clearance issues. But we will update our listing.
Thank you Sir. I spoke with Kyle, who is very helpful, and he said I would be receiving an email with the return label. Again, Beautiful product, just the dimensions wouldn't work.

FWIW I installed a CC radiator in the Dart. Fit great, although there's plenty of room to begin with. Been driving with it for about 10 months now, so far so good.

The extra 1/4" is the minimum it needs to run without the fan flexing into the tank n core. Found out from trial n error. I have a beautiful US Radiator on my garage wall as wall art, eaten up by fan at 3-1/4" thick, and tried an Entropy up to 6k rpm and had no issues. Just didn't like the square tanks. But Cold Case is making the shipping right and I've ordered my own Entropy. Just gonna paint the tanks black so it's not so obvious they are square.

what dose Entropy stand for or who is that ?

Ok.
Cold Case is sending the OP a shipping label, so that's handled.
The slots/tabs/holes to mount the Cold Case radiator in my 70 Roadrunner that had a factory 26" radiator line up perfectly with 4 mounting bolt locations. I did buy a different top hose and bottom hose.
I'm very pleased with the product and customer service, performance and price!

The clearance is more than 1/4", but taking away 1/4" puts it too close. I used a 3" overall thick radiator n had no issues up to 6k rpm. I had a 3-1/4" radiator that the fan chewed up. 1/4" makes all the difference in the world.
If you have 1/4" clearance and the engine is still on rubber mounts, it's not enough. Heck, even with an engine plate, 1/4" clearance from a pulley nose isn't enough unless there's a fore/aft mount that keeps the engine from moving. I don't know your setup but figured it wasn't too far away from being stock/modified?

With 3" of clearance on my Roadrunner, after sending the clutch of the factory fan into the beautiful new GTO Cold Case radiator with 1/2" of clearance, I made a flex fan choice that kept it as far away from the radiator as possible, yet still clears the Wraptor components and tensioning arm (that tensioning arm cover sticks out the farthest forward of everything) I'm waiting on a factory stock fan shroud to see if I can use it, even if I have to shorten it a bit, to maximize the efficiency of my cooling system. The 18" Derale low profile flex fan does a good job but NOT when sitting still or creeping in traffic, BUT the 2x SPAL 10" pusher fans on the AC condenser, at 790 CFM each, are DYNAMITE in keeping the system cool.
They're set for one to come on at 185, and the 2nd at 190, and both anytime the AC is on, and OFF at any speed over 55. Once I see about the shroud, which I expect will improve an already good setup, I may reset the parameters for when the SPAL fans run.
I was thrilled after fighting both the GTO and Roadrunner running hotter than I'm ok with, to see the temp on the Roadrunner at 189 sitting still, at idle, hood up, AC on, when I was topping off the AC refrigerant around noon on a hot day.

what dose Entropy stand for or who is that ?
That's the name of the company. But very pricey. Over $600. But only company I found w 2 rows of 1-1/4" tubes and overall thickness of 3". It hits 125° plus here in the summer. I need every bit of cooling I can get.

it is not about the money. it is what the members hear have gone thru with any and all products that they install . but this topic has been hot with a lot of members . the last time i started a post more members said griffen that had the LEAST problems so my time is worth more to me than a few hundred bucks and or brake downs... we wont go in to

I get it. However, Griffin has been around for 20 years. So you are going to hear about them more. Cold Case has been a sponsor and on these forums only 3 years I think. Considering such a short time, we have a lot of happy customers and a lot of that is because we are working with forum members to continue to improve our products based on all the feedback. Just sayin' :)

That's the name of the company. But very pricey. Over $600. But only company I found w 2 rows of 1-1/4" tubes and overall thickness of 3". It hits 125° plus here in the summer. I need every bit of cooling I can get.
You should call them and confirm the width because I don't see how their dual 1 1/4" tube core can be any different than ours. It may only be dual 1" or dual 1 1/8" marketed as dual 1 1/4". Whose going to open up a core and measure! :)

I get it. However, Griffin has been around for 20 years. So you are going to hear about them more. Cold Case has been a sponsor and on these forums only 3 years I think. Considering such a short time, we have a lot of happy customers and a lot of that is because we are working with forum members to continue to improve our products based on all the feedback. Just sayin' :)
I am happy with ColdCase :thumbsup:

I am happy with ColdCase :thumbsup:

You should call them and confirm the width because I don't see how their dual 1 1/4" tube core can be any different than ours. It may only be dual 1" or dual 1 1/8" marketed as dual 1 1/4". Whose going to open up a core and measure! :)
Got the radiator today from Entropy. Looked inside from filler hole and with thin tape measure, tubes are 1-1/4" each with 1/4" space between. Core is 2.75" thick. Mounting bracket is 3" outside to outside, with 1/4" overhang towards core support so tanks don't hit the core support. Cold Case core is same size but Mounting bracket is 3.25" thick. Fits close just as one I was borrowing. I have approximately 3/8" space from fan tip to bottom tank and over 3/4" from fan tip to top tank. If i brake very hard, no contact. Hard acceleration, no contact. Fan is 2" thick, sits 1/8" from front of a/c compressor clutch.

Got the radiator today from Entropy. Looked inside from filler hole and with thin tape measure, tubes are 1-1/4" each with 1/4" space between. Core is 2.75" thick. Mounting bracket is 3" outside to outside, with 1/4" overhang towards core support so tanks don't hit the core support. Cold Case core is same size but Mounting bracket is 3.25" thick. Fits close just as one I was borrowing. I have approximately 3/8" space from fan tip to bottom tank and over 3/4" from fan tip to top tank. If i brake very hard, no contact. Hard acceleration, no contact. Fan is 2" thick, sits 1/8" from front of a/c compressor clutch.
Yikes you must have been sweating when installing that! Glad it worked out! :)

but not the shipping to me or my return shipping. So I'm out about $80 in shipping due to their false advertising. I spoke w everyone there I could. The last person basically said don't like it, don't ship it back.
Someone or multiple people gave you bad service. We should be paying for the return if you purchased the radiator directly from Cold Case and not a dealer.

So I sit here and ask myself if Diesel is screwed out the $80 because of poor Customer Service and Lies, or if CCAS has made it right for the customer along with the return??? Good Luck Diesel

So I sit here and ask myself if Diesel is screwed out the $80 because of poor Customer Service and Lies, or if CCAS has made it right for the customer along with the return??? Good Luck Diesel
I replied in above posts that they had sent me a return shipping label.

Auto Transport Service
Back