• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Case vs. AutoCityClassic (the 'ebay' radiator) Compare-O

beanhead

Straining The Limits Of Machine And Man
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
"Which radiator" questions always seem to come up. So, just for informational purposes I thought I would share a recent comparison between these two brands.
***I am not intending to 'bash' or 'plug' either brand, I have no affiliation with either***
Just trying to provide some (hopefully) helpful info!
As always...your results may vary!

Same car and driving conditions---'68 Plymouth Satellite, 600+ RB stroker, carbureted, auto trans, 180-degree high-flow thermostat and FlowKooler pump, trans cooler mounted in front of lower driver-side quadrant of radiator.
90-95 degree ambient temps.
Shroud = MP #2998326.
7-blade Chrysler fan and Hayden 2947 clutch.
Prestone/distilled water @ 50/50-ish mix, no special cooling additives.

The facts:

Both units = 26", passenger side inlet/driver side outlet with integral transmission cooler.

Cold Case, model# MOP754A = $395 (Summit price)
AutoCityClassic, item# 354033158218 (aluminum finish) = $229 (E-bay price)

ACC fit the core support mounting holes perfectly.
Cold Case did not. Needed holes modified to fit.

Mopar #2998326 shroud fit both with no modification, however---Cold Case holes were smaller than 1/4". I use 1/4-20 bolts and nuts to attach my shroud so the holes needed to be drilled out to 1/4".

Cold Case included a radiator cap.
ACC did not.

Cold Case included a drain petcock.
ACC did not. (I use stainless hex-head plugs in mine anyway)

ACC upper inlet = 1.5", lower outlet = 1.75" Standard size.
Cold Case upper inlet = 1.5", lower outlet = 1.65". Standard hose fit sloppily but once clamped (I also smeared some Hylomar on) did not leak.
1.75"x1.65" hoses couldn't be found. (Water pump inlet is standard 1.75")

ACC tube size = 1-1/8", 2 rows
Cold Case tube size = 1-1/4", 2 rows

Cold Case front mounting brackets stick out an additional 1/4" in front of core. Spaces radiator further toward engine.
ACC brackets are even with core.

Cold Case = 14 fins/inch, 62 tubes, .375" tube spacing.
ACC = 16 fins/inch, 50 tubes, .480" tube spacing.

The ACC's transmission fittings sit more toward the driver's side than on the Cold Case... See pics.
Passenger side line needed slight re-working to hit the fitting on the ACC.

With engine fully warmed after several drives and shutdowns, both units cooled @ 178-180 when car was moving.
Cold Case saw extended 'sitting in traffic idling' temps rise to 195-200.
ACC saw extended 'sitting in traffic idling' temps 180-185.

(Totally un-scientific test here!..) with 40psi of compressed air, nozzle held 12" from front of radiator, there was noticeably more air flow through the core with the ACC unit. I attribute this to more space between the tubes/fins and slightly less core thickness. (Sitting-in-traffic idling temps speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned--more airflow).

**Edit**I found this note but neglected to add it to the original post**
Cold Case weight = 18lbs 10oz
ACC weight = 17lbs 10oz

The looks---
Cold Case advertises their unit as "if painted black, only a real Mopar expert could tell the difference between ours and a stock unit"....

See pics. You make the call.

Both have extra flange material that sticks out beyond the shroud.
In the picture, I had already trimmed the shroud brackets on the Cold Case and cut and re-TiG welded the front mounting brackets to move them back to allow more clearance to the fan (hey that's precious space!!) but that's just a personal thing.
I don't care for extra flange material jutting out beyond the shroud.
ACC is un-modified in picture other than a sharpie line where I ended up cutting the shroud flanges.

The opinion:

Unless you're in the "I want my #s unit re-done by Glen-Ray" or "I'll never buy a Chinese radiator, give me a Griffin" camp, I'd consider saving yourself some dough and hassle, and buy the ACC. Both work well but I've had better cooling results at idle with the ACC/Ebay radiator. I use a wideband and am pretty **** about tuning, and I notice the difference in engine response between 180 and 200 degrees.
ACC allowed slightly more clearance to fan/clutch. You all know how tight the fit is here...I've had radiators eaten before so that's another plus in the ACC column.
I also honestly don't care for CC's "it drops right in" and "will look like stock if you paint it" marketing, or that smaller outlet.

20221022_132424.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a CC and it works. Had to modify for fan shroud and the one they said did not fit. So I ended up with 2 shrouds. If a had to do it again I would of looked for a stock one or repop. For Glen Ray that is for people who have money. Im just the common guy trying to enjoy my car. Thanks for your write up and hope it helps someone out their.

I just put a ACC radiator in my 66 satellite. used Mopar pt number 2998326 fan shroud and it fits like a glove

Havent driven it yet . But idling in the driveway it never got over the 180 hiflow thermostat thats in it.
Only difference is mine has a direct drive fan and no clutch ( personal choice / preference )

EDIT. I took it for a drive yesterday and still never got over the 180 thermostat in it. Granted ambients temps around here have cooled a bit .

But so far it cools A LOT better than the 22inch champion I took out of it.

Edit. Again.

One of the driving forces for me was the ability to mount an oem type shroud.
I decided to leave the radiator in the stock aluminum finish because it fits the theme under hood better.
But gave some thoughts to / it could be painted black for more of an oem appearance .

20221022_133932.jpg

20221022_133945.jpg

Last edited:
This is an excellent side by side review. We will look into the things you didn't like about this radiator. We're always looking to improve.

As far as the 'looks like an original' When we first came out with our units, almost nobody had stamped tanks. So at the time, our description was pretty accurate. It still is in most cases but I have to admit that ACC did an awesome job on those tanks for that model.

Again, very good review.

Have the same ACC in my 71. Looks factory, cools properly with all accessories. I also have a complete set of glass in the car that fit perfectly. No complaints here on their products.

IMG_2463.jpg

ACC radiator in my Roadrunner and very happy with fit and performance. Also have to say they stand behind the warranty. I had my first installed for about 6 months before firing the car for first time and when I installed the alternator, I must have leaned on the top of said radiator and the next day or so I saw it was leaking at the bottom of the core. Contacted them, sent the radiator back and I received a new one at no cost.
I did add a shroud after pic was taken, and sorry I don't have a better picture. ruffcut

100_0093.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys. And just to reiterate, these are both well-functioning radiators...the CC might have a few more installation quirks but they've never given me any real trouble. I don't think you go wrong either way.

I have an ACC 26" in my 69 GTX and it is fantastic. Cools great In the desert southwest. Mounts up with no modification, fan shroud fit perfect. I went this route because 1) I didn't have an old radiator to recore, and 2) the tanks look dead on stock unlike the Cold Case.

I'm using the thermal clutch fan and there is about 3/4" clearance.

20170111_110553.jpg

20170622_200041.jpg

This is an excellent side by side review. We will look into the things you didn't like about this radiator. We're always looking to improve.

As far as the 'looks like an original' When we first came out with our units, almost nobody had stamped tanks. So at the time, our description was pretty accurate. It still is in most cases but I have to admit that ACC did an awesome job on those tanks for that model.

Again, very good review.
I told your customer service department the issues with fitting my CC rad in my 70 Cuda. Have you fixed the rad mounting flanges and where the holes are? Have you fixed the shroud mounting locations on those flanges?

BTW, the recommended shroud on your website does not fit properly even with mids suggested and is out of stock and not available anywhere. I had to buy a used factory shroud and repair the crack. It cost as much as your radiator.

CC should go through their entire inventory for Mopars and test fit in each model, including with the factory shrouds available as most of us prefer the stock setup over electric fans. I'm sure a lot of folks would be willing to help with that.

I'm looking forward to your response.

"Which radiator" questions always seem to come up. So, just for informational purposes I thought I would share a recent comparison between these two brands.
***I am not intending to 'bash' or 'plug' either brand, I have no affiliation with either***
Just trying to provide some (hopefully) helpful info!
As always...your results may vary!

Same car and driving conditions---'68 Plymouth Satellite, 600+ RB stroker, carbureted, auto trans, 180-degree high-flow thermostat and FlowKooler pump, trans cooler mounted in front of lower driver-side quadrant of radiator.
90-95 degree ambient temps.
Shroud = MP #2998326.
7-blade Chrysler fan and Hayden 2947 clutch.
Prestone/distilled water @ 50/50-ish mix, no special cooling additives.

The facts:

Both units = 26", passenger side inlet/driver side outlet with integral transmission cooler.

Cold Case, model# MOP754A = $395 (Summit price)
AutoCityClassic, item# 354033158218 (aluminum finish) = $229 (E-bay price)

ACC fit the core support mounting holes perfectly.
Cold Case did not. Needed holes modified to fit.

Mopar #2998326 shroud fit both with no modification, however---Cold Case holes were smaller than 1/4". I use 1/4-20 bolts and nuts to attach my shroud so the holes needed to be drilled out to 1/4".

Cold Case included a radiator cap.
ACC did not.

Cold Case included a drain petcock.
ACC did not. (I use stainless hex-head plugs in mine anyway)

ACC upper inlet = 1.5", lower outlet = 1.75" Standard size.
Cold Case upper inlet = 1.5", lower outlet = 1.65". Standard hose fit sloppily but once clamped (I also smeared some Hylomar on) did not leak.
1.75"x1.65" hoses couldn't be found. (Water pump inlet is standard 1.75")

ACC tube size = 1-1/8", 2 rows
Cold Case tube size = 1-1/4", 2 rows

Cold Case front mounting brackets stick out an additional 1/4" in front of core. Spaces radiator further toward engine.
ACC brackets are even with core.

Cold Case = 14 fins/inch, 62 tubes, .375" tube spacing.
ACC = 16 fins/inch, 50 tubes, .480" tube spacing.

The ACC's transmission fittings sit more toward the driver's side than on the Cold Case... See pics.

With engine fully warmed after several drives and shutdowns, both units cooled @ 178-180 when car was moving.
Cold Case saw extended 'sitting in traffic idling' temps rise to 195-200.
ACC saw extended 'sitting in traffic idling' temps 180-185.

(Totally un-scientific test here!..) with 40psi of compressed air, nozzle held 12" from front of radiator, there was noticeably more air flow through the core with the ACC unit. I attribute this to more space between the tubes/fins and slightly less core thickness. (Sitting-in-traffic idling temps speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned--more airflow).

The looks---
Cold Case advertises their unit as "if painted black, only a real Mopar expert could tell the difference between ours and a stock unit"....

See pics. You make the call.

Both have extra flange material that sticks out beyond the shroud.
In the picture, I had already trimmed the shroud brackets on the Cold Case and cut and re-TiG welded the front mounting brackets to move them back to allow more clearance to the fan (hey that's precious space!!) but that's just a personal thing.
I don't care for extra flange material jutting out beyond the shroud.
ACC is un-modified in picture other than a sharpie line where I ended up cutting the shroud flanges.

The opinion:

Unless you're in the "I want my #s unit re-done by Glen-Ray" or "I'll never buy a Chinese radiator, give me a Griffin" camp, I'd consider saving yourself some dough and hassle, and buy the ACC. Both work well but I've had better cooling results at idle with the ACC/Ebay radiator. I use a wideband and am pretty **** about tuning, and I notice the difference in engine response between 180 and 200 degrees.
ACC allowed slightly more clearance to fan/clutch. You all know how tight the fit is here...I've had radiators eaten before so that's another plus in the ACC column.
I also honestly don't care for CC's "it drops right in" and "will look like stock if you paint it" marketing, or that smaller outlet.

View attachment 1363648
Thanks for the great write up! I know it takes a lot of time to do well and it ahows with your details and facts.
I have an acc in my belvedere as my original was pretty plugged up and wasn't correct for the car anyway, so I put the ACC that I ordered for my coronet into my belvedere after I got the temp gauge workimg and saw it was getting too warm for my liking.
So far my.experience is just like yours. All positive. Mine came painted black and looks like a factory radiator. I used the same shroud and also have a solid fan. I was disappointed it didn't have a petcock in it, but oh well, it worked well.

just a follow up. I have nothing bad to say about either product. Just stated my experience.
I'm using a factory style shroud and the clutch style fan and Flowcooler WP with the aluminum WP housing.
All good so far! ruffcut

It appears both companies have issues with E body fitment. I have a US Radiator in my Coronet R/T. It fits perfectly.

Thanks, this is great info!! Going to need a radiator for the hemi dart. Weighing my options but the cold case was one I was looking at. I may have to look at the ACC, I’m going to be room limited anyway. That one should be around 800hp, I suspect it’s going to suck to cool.

Last edited:
I assume the ACC is made in China?
Where is the cold case made?

I looked at both websites and no indication of country of origin so I believe you are right.

This thread isn't that old so I'll revive it a little bit. I decided after struggling with keeping the 440 cool in slower traffic situations with the current ACC radiator (small block style but claimed for BB), that I am going to upgrade my cooling game and I am using this thread as a reference. I was considering a Cold Case, but you can't beat the appearance of the ACC.
After being out of stock for ages, and then told by Auto City Classic (ACC) that they "no longer ship to Canada" or anywhere outside of the 48, had to get slightly crafty! :fool: More than one way to skin this cat.

I have a great PO Box service in Sumas WA that will bring anything I want over the border for a reasonable cost, so on Friday morning, a glorious 26" ACC radiator arrived in Abbotsford for me to pickup!

I will be using the shroud that @beanhead & @gtx6970 used and a stock direct drive 7 blade fan (when I find a decent one). Painted it high heat satin black for that OEM style appearance.

Happy that the first piece of the winter projects has arrived, and thanks again @beanhead for the awesome review to help with decision making. :thankyou:

71588948714__DF2593FE-124B-42CB-B7A9-9F4CD39919A6 Large.png
IMG_2192 Large.png

This thread isn't that old so I'll revive it a little bit. I decided after struggling with keeping the 440 cool in slower traffic situations with the current ACC radiator (small block style but claimed for BB), that I am going to upgrade my cooling game and I am using this thread as a reference. I was considering a Cold Case, but you can't beat the appearance of the ACC.
After being out of stock for ages, and then told by Auto City Classic (ACC) that they "no longer ship to Canada" or anywhere outside of the 48, had to get slightly crafty! :fool: More than one way to skin this cat.

I have a great PO Box service in Sumas WA that will bring anything I want over the border for a reasonable cost, so on Friday morning, a glorious 26" ACC radiator arrived in Abbotsford for me to pickup!

I will be using the shroud that @beanhead & @gtx6970 used and a stock direct drive 7 blade fan (when I find a decent one). Painted it high heat satin black for that OEM style appearance.

Happy that the first piece of the winter projects has arrived, and thanks again @beanhead for the awesome review to help with decision making. :thankyou:

View attachment 1523350
Thanks, I hope it works out for ya!
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1523350 View attachment 1523351
The only thing you will need to do is enlarge the shroud mounting holes to accept the clip nuts. I just replaced my ACC with another ACC. They work great. My old one had 5 years and a ton of crud from the engine. Better off getting a new one.
20230909_091703.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back