• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

colored headlights

fwi

Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
Where can I get these for my current car? I had them on my last race car but they came with it. Are they just painted? Here's my previous car:
IMG_2205.JPG

Last edited:
Just took a couple coats, more makes it darker.

Yup, just used the Ace spray paint on my '65 Coronet. A few very light coats. Held up fine for the 11 years I raced it.

i was going to ask on another post i saw where someone had one pair of lights yellow and the other were still clear. (either the inside pair or the outside pair, i couldnt remember) anyways, whats the point of this? did any cars come with lights like this? or was there some preferred brand back in the day that had colored glass and it was the "in thing to buy" or was it just some oldschool hotrodding thing, like blue gems in tail lights? or maybe it was in a cool movie back in the day? just another way to customize, equivalent seeing a modern challenger in with neon halos that match the car color instead of the stock white ones? im in different to the look, i just was curious how it started.

I had to go to a hobby store, alot of places list they sell it but don't. Got mine at hobby lobby and 8 or 9 choices of colors. Blue illegal in Florida. It's a emergency light color. I'm not sure where it started but see it alot, thought it was kinda cool.

i was going to ask on another post i saw where someone had one pair of lights yellow and the other were still clear. (either the inside pair or the outside pair, i couldnt remember) anyways, whats the point of this? did any cars come with lights like this? or was there some preferred brand back in the day that had colored glass and it was the "in thing to buy" or was it just some oldschool hotrodding thing, like blue gems in tail lights? or maybe it was in a cool movie back in the day? just another way to customize, equivalent seeing a modern challenger in with neon halos that match the car color instead of the stock white ones? im in different to the look, i just was curious how it started.
I raced max wedges from 1963 to 1965 and a funny car after that....I was racing during all of the 1960's plus I was in the Speed Shop Business during the 1960's and NO ONE had colored head lights then. FACT

I raced max wedges from 1963 to 1965 and a funny car after that....I was racing during all of the 1960's plus I was in the Speed Shop Business during the 1960's and NO ONE had colored head lights then. FACT
thats the best kind of of answer. i love when some ones been there vs speculation. thanks. then i wonder were the hell it came from. any one ever drive at night with colored lights it SUCKS... so frankly i dont get it. i dont know why more people dont swap to dual beam outer lights, and convert the inner lights into ram air intakes. take some old school velocity stacks the right diameter, polished up with a chrome mesh cover and at first glance you wouldnt know they werent headlights. just like the old fairlane thunderbolts. now thats a headlight mod i can get behind...

thats the best kind of of answer. i love when some ones been there vs speculation. thanks. then i wonder were the hell it came from. any one ever drive at night with colored lights it SUCKS... so frankly i dont get it. i dont know why more people dont swap to dual beam outer lights, and convert the inner lights into ram air intakes. take some old school velocity stacks the right diameter, polished up with a chrome mesh cover and at first glance you wouldnt know they werent headlights. just like the old fairlane thunderbolts. now thats a headlight mod i can get behind...

Painted headlights were around on some drag cars here in Minnesota by the mid '70's. There were also a few that did make use of the headlight locations for ram air.

What about all the gassers with colored windows?

Yellow high-beams have been popular around Motown, as far back as I can remember. My parents put yellow high-beams in their new 64 Dodge. I personally, don't like the colored lights look.

NAPA used to sell tractor lights that were the same size and yellow. You needed to make a jumper, cause they used screws for wire attachment. Simple to do.

Last edited:
Mike Gaines is right. I was also racing in the 60s and worked at a speed shop in the 70s and never saw a set of colored head-lights. I saw mine (GE yellow) on Ebay and like the look cause it's different. I understand they originally were sold for export to Europe as fog lights.

DSCN3628.JPG DSCN3640.JPG

Most colored headlights are illegal on the street. Many just tint the high beams and just run on the low beams.

Auto Transport Service
Back