• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column is DONE, pics of my "custom" steering wheel, lol...

Seventy

Banned
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
I can do a chevy column in 2 hours(minus dry time), taken apart, sorted, blasted, powder coated, and reassembled, this one tested me, I had to take this thing apart 6 times, but its done, I hope, I installed new lower ring and clip, new switches (all 3), new ignition, new upper bearing, polished the turn signal lever, coated everything, and installed a new steering wheel :) I am not a fan of stock steering wheels, it seems like such an easy addition to make something your own, and for the "original" junkies, I keep the original, restore it and put it aside, normally the replacement I choose costs more than an original...

I wanted something around 14" but no smaller than 13 3/4", I wanted wood with rivets, 3 spoke with out the bell at the end like almost all of them have, and I wanted black spokes. This fit all but the black but its polished so I can coat it, although the shiny has grown on me...

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/167/

I made a couple decals and covered them with the urethane so they are domed like a horn button, I think I like th black "super bee" on, although the scat pack one is cool too, they are easy enough to change...

I took the 70 charger seats apart (yes, putting charger seats in my super bee, I like them much better, IMO one of the best looking muscle car seats ever made}, I sanded the frames, tigged a few holes that opened up, repainted, foamed, and recovered them with legendary charcoal vinyl (borrowed front covers from the 70 r/t project since legendary hasn't shipped my fronts as of yet, been 2 months).

I am making progress though, dash is painted and ready to go together waiting for woodgrain and some tiny clips for the heater control, console is done, I have to assemble the seats, then finish the heater box (apart and stripped), I also have the clutch/brake pedal assembly, wiper assembly, lockout, and shifter assemblies all stripped and painted just waiting for parts to put them back together, should be here by the end of the week. After all of that is done and I figure out all the wiring I will be done with the interior and ready to start putting the car together... Sounds easy the more I say it... Here is some pics, I am doing the clean assembly stuff in my guest house, I started in the pool house but the kids kept touching stuff with salt water covered fingers, so we aren't expecting guests to occupy our guest suite until 2nd week of September, so I have about a month to get this all together and moved back into the shop...

FullSizeRender (47).jpgFullSizeRender (48).jpgFullSizeRender (54).jpgFullSizeRender (53).jpgFullSizeRender (52).jpgFullSizeRender (51).jpg

There is a wheel paint for chrome that turns it black.

I hope you didn't pay full MSRP for that wheel.

Nice job on the console and seats.

There is a wheel paint for chrome that turns it black.

I hope you didn't pay full MSRP for that wheel.

Nice job on the console and seats.

LOL, no I just looked at that $445, although I didn't steal it I still paid $200 shipped (plus $18 for the adapter), BUT the collectors wheels are expensive.

That's a studly looking wheel. Don't believe I've ever seen anything like that on a muscle car.

You can try Plasti Cote or whatever it's called. If you don't like it just peel it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back