• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp pro magnum rocker question

Napoleon1991

Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of comp 1621-16 ultra pro magnum rocker arms, and I have a question about the bushings that are installed in the rockers. While inspecting them, the bushings appear to be covered in some sort of paper material that is peeling off in spots on some of the rockers. I'm assuming that this material gets removed before installation? If so, how do I do it without damaging the bushing because it does not come off easily. There is no mention of this in the instructions.

IMG_4048.JPG IMG_4049.JPG

I recently purchased a set of comp 1621-16 ultra pro magnum rocker arms, and I have a question about the bushings that are installed in the rockers. While inspecting them, the bushings appear to be covered in some sort of paper material that is peeling off in spots on some of the rockers. I'm assuming that this material gets removed before installation? If so, how do I do it without damaging the bushing because it does not come off easily. There is no mention of this in the instructions.

View attachment 861900 View attachment 861901
Drop them in a can of NAPTHA

Correct! Clean all parts before installing, period.

Ok, il clean them. I just wanted to be sure that I should remove that coating. The guy at comp cams that I called wasnt sure if I should remove it or not.

Goes to show you the people on the other end of the phone line hardly have a clue. Happens way too often.

Just got a call back from comp cams warranty department. They said that is a teflon coating and shouldnt be removed. Looks like i will be sending them back.

This is what I was kinda thinking (I.e. not good) and sad to see it.

It's a good rocker arm. Why couldn't they just push-in some phosphor bronze bushings?

This is what I was kinda thinking (I.e. not good) and sad to see it.

It's a good rocker arm. Why couldn't they just push-in some phosphor bronze bushings?

Yeah, thats what i was expecting to see. Hopefully the new ones arrive in better shape.

On a side note, has anyone who is running these rockers verified that they truely are 1.5 ratio when installed? The stock style stamped rockers from 440source that i have on the engine now seem like they are closer to 1.4 ratio when measured.

This comes from Jegs ---these shaft mounted rockers contain proprietary bushing inserts. (they not sayings what it's made of because comp cams not telling )
Now read down further on the specifications to rocker arm style and it says full roller, There is a big difference between a bushing and a bearing,how can it be a full roller if it has bushings, style must be the key word here.
I find it some what deceiving on comp cams wording.
They might be a fine product , I hope they send you some new ones and you good service out of them.
Bill

This comes from Jegs ---these shaft mounted rockers contain proprietary bushing inserts. (they not sayings what it's made of because comp cams not telling )
Now read down further on the specifications to rocker arm style and it says full roller, There is a big difference between a bushing and a bearing,how can it be a full roller if it has bushings, style must be the key word here.
I find it some what deceiving on comp cams wording.
They might be a fine product , I hope they send you some new ones and you good service out of them.
Bill

Yeah im not sure why they advertise these as being roller rockers when they come with bushings.

That’s a scratch on the surface of the bearing from someone wiggling it back and forth over a burr on the shaft.

stock rockers are usually a little under
go to b3racing and read all 4 tech article
you are better off with iron rockers

Auto Transport Service
Back