• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete 4 speed value

19 69 GTX

Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
Ok im pulling the 23 spline 4 speed from my 69 GTX . It's a 68 trans I believe and no it's not original to car. I'm going with a 5 speed Tremec and would like to sell mine . What would be a reasonable asking price for it. Complete 4 speed with all the shifting linking plus the shifter with bellhousing, good clutch, flywheel , throw out bearing and fork. Z bar comes as well. Also included would be the cross member and drive shaft . This would be as complete as you can get. Thanks and trans works good need some gaskets.

20211120_203449.jpg

Last edited:
You could possibly get more by selling individual items, but as a package and as is, $1800- $2500. My concerns would be having to reseal the transmission and possibly rebuild the shifter. Other than that I don't use anyone's used clutch and I would also have the driveshaft balance checked.

Well, don't need the bell nor the clutch and flywheel, shifter, crossmember, DS and most likely not the linkage rods either....but I agree on the prices mentioned. I also want to go with the Tremec but probably will never be able to afford one. Cheaper to go with a GV unit and stock type 4-speed....? Been thinking about that Magnum 6 speed and run some deep gears. Have to look at what the ratios are before making that decision.

I did an automatic to 4-speed conversion in the mid-'90's. A friend had bought a 1967 GTX project that had a 4-speed crudely hacked into it. The GTX was originally an automatic car, and my friend wanted to return it to that. I traded a solid auto transmission tunnel with console brackets and a rebuilt 727 (my side gig) for his 4-speed setup, with pedals, crossmember, flywheel and bellhousing. I bought all the cross shaft and Z-bar stuff from Year One. A junk yard 1968 RoadRunner gave up its 4-speed hump for the sum of $5.00. I picked up a 1968 23-spline 833 at the Mopar Nationals, after discovering the trans I had was for an E-body, with different shifter position than what I needed. The '68 trans came with the non-console Inland shifter, all for $150.00. I traded the newer 4-speed to an E-body mechanic friend for a rebuild of my 1968 piece. I adapted the Inland shifter handle to a Hurst shifter mechanism, and completed things with a new CentreForce clutch assembly. With doing some swaps, I had well under $1000.00 in actual cash into my conversion. I put all this on a 1968 440 and into my "One-of-None" 1967 Coronet R/T station wagon.

My buddy has one of the older tko tremecs and hates the way it shifts. We’re going back to an original hemi trans with a gear vendor od. Ratios are much better and will shift better.

My buddy has one of the older tko tremecs and hates the way it shifts. We’re going back to an original hemi trans with a gear vendor od. Ratios are much better and will shift better.

No way an old trans with external linkage is going to shift better than internal. I have driven both and the tremec is nice. 32% gear reduction is awesome

Well ͏Yo͏u͏r wrong on this one. It’s one of the first ones out there and was terrible. It’s going to be for sale soon with a disclaimer. “ This POS shifts terrible. Please promise not to whip my a$$ the first time you drive it” . Lol

Well ͏Yo͏u͏r wrong on this one. It’s one of the first ones out there and was terrible. It’s going to be for sale soon with a disclaimer. “ This POS shifts terrible. Please promise not to whip my a$$ the first time you drive it” . Lol

I don't want to hear that man..maybe he got a bad one. Seems like reviews on this trans are good so far

2100 would be fair but I wouldn't use the old clutch since a new one is cheap and trans is out

I think the first ones were known to not shift well, after they sold a bunch of coarse.

The TKO"s have been discontinued and the new model is the TKX.. I have not heard one complaint about its shifting...

Auto Transport Service
Back