• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete front suspension rebuild and some rear also.

I started on the passenger side I was able to install the torsion bar, lower control arm, strut rod, and the Bilstien shock. My measurements were NOT accurate enough that I sent to PST I was off by and inch on the spacer I said 4" it was 3" and the bolt which I said was 7" was 6" so I just cut the spacer and bought the right length bolt.

20190608_005154.jpg 20190606_184630.jpg

I was able to complete quite a bit today . I finished the front sway bar, tie rod, lower ball joint, upper control arm, upper ball joint, spindle, and rotor.

20190608_123216.jpg 20190608_132908.jpg 20190608_172325.jpg

Installed the passenger side caliper onto bleeding the brakes then a alignment. I'm pretty much done I'm not going to install the rear disc brakes till winter time I'll post a new topic on that when I get to installing it. Until then thanks for the likes,comments and advice it's greatly appreciated.

20190609_130157.jpg

Installed left torsion bar,lower ball joint, lower control arm, tie rod to knuckle and Bilstien front shock. I didn't get to finish the PST sway bar they sent me to long of a bolt and spacer so I made measurements and emailed them what I need. So and FYI if you order a front sway bar from PST for a 1973-74 Dodge Charger you might want to call them about there mid section sway bar kit.

View attachment 771308 View attachment 771310 View attachment 771311
So I wanted to give every one and update on this saga I recieved a new bolt and spacer from PST but they were both still to long which was my error it was hard to get a good length on what I needed. I went to the local hardware store and purchased a 6 " bolt and cut the spacer to 3 " and then every thing fit. Thank you to PST for trying to help it's appreciated. To any one who's thinking of buying after market sway bars or for that matter any after market parts for you 73-74 Charger do some research before buying get your measurements and then talk to the supplier to make sure there parts are the same as your factory parts it will save you alot of time.

Hey Doug, on the PST Swaybar, have you noticed how the bracket that attaches the swaybar to the strut arm hits the k-frame when you push the LCA all the way up until the bump stop makes contact with the k-frame? I am having that issue, will look at it closer today, was wondering if yours was doing the same and if you had to modify it... I even tried reversing the bolts... too close / hits.

View attachment 775007 View attachment 775008
I installed mine complete the other day and don't see any clearance issues as far as going to the bump stop I would think you would have to hit a huge hole to max your suspension out to hit the rubber stop but that's my opinion I can give you and up date once I drive it some. You don't have your strut rod connected to your LCA so I don't know how you can get and accurate account of it hitting every thing is under a load once every thing is together it's hard to say when there's no weight on the parts your putting together.

Thanks for taking the time to post your progress. I have two 74 chargers. Rebuilding the front end is on my list too.

Brakes blead still have to adjust the height on the front end and tighten top and bottom control arms before taking it up to get it aligned but before that need to put new Bilstien rear shocks on and install rear sway bar. Getting closer

20190614_193854.jpg 20190614_193906.jpg

Well I made some headway on it today I had to wrap it up so I wouldn't scratch it all up while feeding it thru my exhaust pipes. Bilstien shocks installed and PST rear sway bar half way done.

20190619_214557.jpg 20190617_063108.jpg

Hey Doug, on the PST Swaybar, have you noticed how the bracket that attaches the swaybar to the strut arm hits the k-frame when you push the LCA all the way up until the bump stop makes contact with the k-frame? I am having that issue, will look at it closer today, was wondering if yours was doing the same and if you had to modify it... I even tried reversing the bolts... too close / hits.

View attachment 775007 View attachment 775008
So I was able to get aligned and I was driving it around but I was hearing a noise when I would hit bumps guess what the question you asked about the brackets hitting a K frame . Well I've got witness marks on each side telling me it is because I repainted the k fame before I installed every thing .

IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

Well I've got witness marks on each side telling me it is because I repainted the k fame before I installed every thing .

By the second picture to me it looks like its hitting. Didn't like it, i returned mine and got a new 1-1/4 inch from firmfeel. Double the cost but seems an overall better design. It connects to the lower control arm (need to drill holes) and not the strut arm. Ignore the letters and arrows i added those to get the torque values from their support, also not my k-frame, their picture from their install guide.

sway-bar.jpg

I was able to get the PST front sway bar to work.
I was finally able to take her out for a long drive today did some freeway driving. It drives like a brand new car I'm really surprised how much of a difference I feel from before. This car is 46 years old and the suspension showed it with 151,000 miles on it. The stance though is bad *** this is ho9w I pictured it in my head.
My 3/4 rear sway bar should be here next week

20190712_204845.jpg 20190712_205137.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back