• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compressor clutch engages when "heat" button is pressed

I think, sometimes it does to clear moisture off the windows(?).

No
Have you installed aftermarket wiring harnesses?
Do you have a factory wireing diagram?

The compressor clutch is energized only when either the max a/c or when the a/c, (fresh air-air conditioning) push buttoms are depressed.
Taken from the a/c electrical controls and circuits section of the 68 fsm

The compressor clutch is energized only when either the max a/c or when the a/c, (fresh air-air conditioning) push buttoms are depressed.
Taken from the a/c electrical controls and circuits section of the 68 fsm
Thanks for not making me find the FSM! But are you sure? All the manufacturers do that to stop with window fogging.

Modern cars run the AC with defrost, pulls the moisture out of the air. However, I have no idea if it does this on old cars. I know my 79 LRE truck did not turn on the AC with defrost on.

On a rainy day working with my field training officer with the California Highway Patrol, he told me to turn on the either the defrost or the A/C to clear the fog from inside the windshield (1980-1981 Dodge Diplomat 318). Now I wonder which it was (either would have worked?).

no it is not supposed to. None of my 68' or 69' B bodies do that, and they are factory A/C. However, Your controller(plastic, with five buttons) could be going bad.

I dont think the compressor kicked in untill R134 systems came out.
Removing cabin moisture and lubing compressor seals to increase occupat confort and prolong system life.
The compressor cycles off and on in the heat mode in new cars.

See what I posted in your "Time Delay" thread. Yes this should happen if the temperature is above 25F. After 1 to 10 minutes it should shut off.

Jim

What time delay? Thought that was only used with climate control. As far as known manual shows climate control only in Chrysler models.

It does work that way on a 69 B body. I'm not sure if 68 had the time delay relay.

The soon to be mine 66 Belvedere (this is 67) didn't have that but I found out that if the max ac button was pushed and then push the defrost in part way....just enough, the blend door would move air up to the windshield and the ac pump would stay running. It did a quick defrost. Used to wonder why the factory didn't build them that way to start with. Also thought cars could use marker lights on the side after almost broadsiding some one on a dark street that showed up in front of me and into my lights. Next thing I know, there it all is. My idea was to have lights in the rocker panel though....

Anyone fixed the side marker so turn signals would flash threw them? Way off subject here.

Auto Transport Service
Back