• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused By Fender Tag Decoding

consipio

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Between having the complete car in what appeared to be unmolested condition and decoding the fender tag a couple of different ways, I thought I had figured everything out about my 67 Belvedere II.

It seems she may still have some mysteries up her sleeves though and I am wondering if anyone else gets something I am missing from the fender tag.

I had to use a pencil with paper against the tag to make sure I was reading it correctly (see images) and checked what I had against multiple sites/tools.

I "thought" it confirmed 1967 Belvedere II with 318 LA, factory AC, 727 auto trans, 8-3/4 with 2.96 wide open, with car in white. The interior color is confusing as the tag seemed to say grey, but it's two-tone silver/blue. The tag also mentioned black striping on the paint somewhere, but I don't see any.

It has the lower trim/moulding instead of the usual higher trim/moulding. I have also found what appears to be DD-1 "light blue poly" paint under the transmission brace/mount under the car, inside of the trunk, and under the headliner inside the car. So, I am not sure what to make of the colors and/or trim options.

The lower trim/moulding seems to suggest that the car had a different trim option than normal, but I don't know what that might be.

Anyone out there able to tell exactly what I should have?

20200906_164604.jpg Tag-Data.JPG

You are describing what seems to be a silver special Belvedere II. But the fender tag doesn't correspond to this. Maybe @R413 or one of the other great 67 guys can tell you more.

A couple of helpful guys on Facebook think it is a "Bonus Special" model. I don't know of any way to confirm it though. The car did have three hubcaps, presumed to be original to the car, that I think match those in the picture here. It has the two-tone blue/silver vinyl interior and only the lower trim/mouldings. If it had a vinyl roof, it's been off the car an awfully long time.

Anyone know of a way to confirm for sure what this car was built/ordered as based on VIN and fender tag?

Bonus-Special.jpg

I think Chrysler Historical has info on cars through 67. (68-up info is lost/gone, fire?) I dont have the info bookmarked, but a search here should turn it up.

Well... Per input from some old schoolers on Facebook, I guess I have a "silver special". I had no idea... I guess that's what the H4A fender tag code denotes. And... What I thought was a faded blue is apparently a gray/charcoal in the interior color. So, it's two-tone silver/charcoal. That also makes the interior color on the fender tag make sense. I'm sort of an idiot... I was going back and forth about possible color changes because I couldn't stand the idea of white with silver/blue interior. I would've messed the whole thing up!

Now you know. I tried to expand the picture of your fender tag to verify the WW1 paint code. I can't make it out there. What you were describing was a Silver Special to me, but I couldn't find my Mopar Red Book, to look up the codes. Don't mess it up. :)

Steve @67PB2SS is currently restoring a Silver Special. Maybe he can add some input.

I have a broadcast sheet for a 4dr 67 Belv II that I found in a 2dr Hdtp. It has "Silver Spl" printed across the bottom. Interior code is H4A, same as yours.

As Jerry mentioned, I am restoring a '67 Silver Special Belvedere. My tag has much of the same info mentioned previously including:

j4 = body sill mouldings
m9 = delete body side mouldings
Y5= silver vinyl top
TRM = H4A = Silver Special interior
PNT = AA1 silver poly
SB = black stripe

I think all "67 Belvederes are great, but Silver Special cars are what they say they are..."special".

The 4 door parts car for my wagon is a silver special, and I found the bottom of the build sheet with "SILVER SPL" printed on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back