• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant overflow tank

mjb765

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
My 69 'Bee seems to leave a little drip out of the coolant overflow tube coming off of the radiator. I tried a new cap and the level is not overfilled. Thinking about an overflow tank..any suggestions on what to use? Do they get filled up or can I get one that the radiator will suck the coolant back in if needed?

My 69 'Bee seems to leave a little drip out of the coolant overflow tube coming off of the radiator. I tried a new cap and the level is not overfilled. Thinking about an overflow tank..any suggestions on what to use? Do they get filled up or can I get one that the radiator will suck the coolant back in if needed?

I have one of the cheap summit racing plastic overflow tanks, and it has been holding up fine for the past two years (but would buy aluminum if I did it again). They fill up and have a valve on the bottom to release the coolant. What radiator cap are you running?

Stock cap----16lb. I think.

If you do get an overflow tank, make sure and get a radiator cap that uses a rubber gasket on the bottom and a rubber gasket at the top, next to the brass gasket. Almost all later caps are like this. The advantage is that after you shut off your motor and heat builds, the cap will allow for the coolant expansion into the overflow tank. Then, as the motor cools, the cap will allow coolant to be drawn back into the radiator. This will eventually purge the air from the system and slow down corrosion in the cooling system. Anyway, the cap is the important part. Any NAPA parts guy should be able to give you the right one. Plain plastic tanks work great; aluminum ones add some bling.

Attachments

• DSCN1767.jpg
    DSCN1767.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:
I used a dorman universal overflow bottle. It fits perfect next to the radiator on the drivers side. I added a fiiting to the side of the bottle which will allow for the overflow. The bottle comes with a spout in the bottom and you use that for your fill and return. This will fill when it gets hot and suck it back in when it is cold. Oh the bottle is less that ten bucks. Hope this helps.

Just ordered a tank from Jegs....thanks for the help everybody!

Last edited:
For my 69, no tank. Did not come with a tank. Leaving two inches from the top with a factory 2 eared cap there is no purging.

Auto Transport Service
Back