• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct carb and breather for 1965 318 help needed

junkyard junky

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
The carb went out on my 65 coronet poly 318. I'm trying to figure out if the carb and breather are correct for 1965. The breather is the same as my 63 plymouth but it doesn't have any where to attach to the carb. My 63 carb has a V lip which the breather clamps to.

carb coronet.jpgcoronet carb2.jpg

Have a service manual? It will tell you the right carb #s, for each engine type, for that year.

same as the Stromberg carb on the 64 318 poly I had. The breather tightened below, around the carb lip as the pic above shows. What is the carb on the 65? It kind of looks like it has holes in the top (front and back) where the brackets screwed into.

kind of like this pic.

Fuel-Spark-2011.jpg

Last edited:
Completely forgot about checking the manual. I was going to get one a while back but other things came up and the car got put on the waiting list.

This may be too little too late but that carb is off of a 70s era 318. I have a carb and air cleaner that I think is off of a 65 or 66 but could never come up with a direct answer on the exact year that mopar went from the clamp style hold down (as shown in your pic of the 62 unit) to the type that used the stud w/ wingnut. The correct carb for the 65 is quite different than the one you show. Still a Ball & Ball Carter but different. My unit is the mid 60s style Carter but uses the stud & wingnut setup.

Your '65 318 would have had either a Carter BBD or a Bendix-Stromberg WW3 carburetor as original equipment. Fit-and-function interchange is '60-'65 318 BBD or WW3. Example: this one ('62 carb).

'65 was the last year for the clamp-band style air cleaner attachment (and we're talking about the air cleaner that sits atop the carb, not the "breather". The breather lives on the valve cover.) The carb on your engine now is a '77-up item. There is no way to make the '65 air cleaner fit this carb. There is a clever rubber adaptor gasket that will allow the installation of a clamp-band style ('65-down) air cleaner on a '66-'70 carb such as this one; Gary Goers (see here) can provide the adaptor gasket, which is triangular in cross-section and converts the flat seat ring of the '66-'70 carb to the beveled surface required for the clamp band on the early air cleaner. But that doesn't help with your '77-up type carb.

(Nothing runs like a new carb, and those '67 Strombergs run really, really, really well, and geeze, what a screamin' deal on that linked one!)

Auto Transport Service
Back