• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost to Pull Motor and Trans

Yes - be careful if you have a shop do the work. Get an honest ballpark quote for the job...ask me how I know. I decided to go with a well-reputed mopar shop to save me time and by the time it was over the price was outrageous and had hours of rework to do and stuff that was to be done that wasn't I'm still dealing with. There were two other shops I used as well and would friggin never go back to them or recommend them.

Yeah, and you have to watch that you get "your" engine back and not some junkyard piece.

Wish I was living down that way Craig, I'd give you a hand. It would take all weekend but we could have fun.

Torn out with a fork lift?
No. Best we could tell they had a wrecker and air tools. They knew where he would park and how long he would be gone. Police called it a professional job.
Our thoughts how the hell. But it was done.

No. Best we could tell they had a wrecker and air tools. They knew where he would park and how long he would be gone. Police called it a professional job.
Our thoughts how the hell. But it was done.
That would be a terrible thing to come out and find!! Turns my stomach just reading about it!

I know these cars inside and out. Working alone, it takes me about 4 hours to pull the motor with hand tools. I'm in my 60's now and don't move all that fast. Once the motor is out, the transmission is 90% ready to remove.

What's good about pulling a motor is that anyone who is cautious and conscientious can do it with a proper cherry picker hoist.

DSC01091.JPG

I know these cars inside and out. Working alone, it takes me about 4 hours to pull the motor with hand tools. I'm in my 60's now and don't move all that fast. Once the motor is out, the transmission is 90% ready to remove.

What's good about pulling a motor is that anyone who is cautious and conscientious can do it with a proper cherry picker hoist.

View attachment 573875
Is that a perminate bumper on you hoist?

Lookin' at that old piece of cardboard? Oh, I get it, the hoist is awful close to the bumper, isn't it?

Last edited:
first spec what you want them to do
whoever takes the heads off needs to measure how far the pistons are down at their TDC on all 4 corners so the machinist has a clue how far out of whack the decks are and how to set the deck height (c

Beer and pizza are pretty cheap. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

whoever takes the heads off needs to measure how far the pistons are down at their TDC on all 4 corners so the machinist has a clue how far out of whack the decks are and how to set the deck height (crank center to deck tops)

two seperate operations
pull the motor and clean it off
and take it apart and diagnose, make notes
then make a parts list- get the new pistons in hand B4 boring the motor for example
mike the cranks and see what bearings will work and if they are available- some sizes are harder to get
have an idea if you are going to use open chamber or closed chamber heads and how many cc's they are- if reusing stock heads cc both ends of each
(many times you will find someone has done a valve job and pushed the heads thru a sander to clean them up resulting in a difference from one end to the other- find out early) you can also measure the thickness of the bolt bosses on the exhaust side and write it down- they should all be the same
etc

whoever takes the heads off needs to measure how far the pistons are down at their TDC on all 4 corners so the machinist has a clue how far out of whack the decks are and how to set the deck height (crank center to deck tops)

two seperate operations
pull the motor and clean it off
and take it apart and diagnose, make notes
then make a parts list- get the new pistons in hand B4 boring the motor for example
mike the cranks and see what bearings will work and if they are available- some sizes are harder to get
have an idea if you are going to use open chamber or closed chamber heads and how many cc's they are- if reusing stock heads cc both ends of each
(many times you will find someone has done a valve job and pushed the heads thru a sander to clean them up resulting in a difference from one end to the other- find out early) you can also measure the thickness of the bolt bosses on the exhaust side and write it down- they should all be the same
etc
If he can not pull his own engine and trans don't you think this is a bit much?

Find a friend. No way it should take 8 hrs to pull a 440/auto. In a couple hours that thing should be out and on the stand. Another hour to tear down and lay out the parts.[/QUOTI It DOES take 8 hours ! Half day disconnecting & pulling, the rest of the the day for beer & bull$hitting :thumbsup:

If he can not pull his own engine and trans don't you think this is a bit much?
wyrmrider said "whoever" takes the the engine apart. His post is good advice. My suggestion was to just send the entire engine to the machine shop/engine builder.

wyrmrider said "whoever" takes the the engine apart. His post is good advice. My suggestion was to just send the entire engine to the machine shop/engine builder.
I agree with your suggestion. Wyrmriders got a good point also on disassembly if this is to be anything but a standard stock rebuild.
Would be good questions to ask the builder so each nows what is expected and who will be doing the machine work.
But what I have experienced threw freinds if you need an engine builder its best to ask his procedures up front. If you want to try to tell them what to do expect the worst.

Auto Transport Service
Back