• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost to Pull Motor and Trans

FlagCraig

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
What would be a fair price to pay to have an engine shop pull motor/trans and break down motor to ready block for machining?

How many hours should this take....if they run into no issues?

Location/Middle Tennessee. Motor is 440 and 727 Trans in 67 GTX.

Thanks.

Unfortunately you'll probably be charged clock time, you're gonna pay the tech however long it takes him. Your best bet is to find a local buddy and do it yourselves .... you can have the engine/trans out in under an hour .....

My "estimate" in shop time would be 8-10 hrs. to pull the motor/trans + maybe another 8-10 hrs. to disassemble the motor.....ballpark...IF you can find someone who won't just cut it out with a torch!

Not your of your age, ability, or access to proper tools and facilities.
An extra set of hands is invaluable as well.

Probably not any garage will cut you a deal, they will just have a fairly easy task that they get paid handsomely for.

Most machine shops are busy places and prefer that you bring the block and heads in separated and disassembled.

It might be better to have the machine shop tear the engine down so they can inspect it on disassembly. Depending on hourly rates it might cost less too?

Id leave the crank and cam in the block.
Just remove the oil pan and timing chain cover

Find a friend. No way it should take 8 hrs to pull a 440/auto. In a couple hours that thing should be out and on the stand. Another hour to tear down and lay out the parts.

with an average shop rate of 70-80 bucks per hour, you will be lucky to get it done for $1200. If there is any way to do it yourself, you can save the coin for the rebuild.

Find a friend. No way it should take 8 hrs to pull a 440/auto. In a couple hours that thing should be out and on the stand. Another hour to tear down and lay out the parts.
I agree, but unless you know somebody, try getting it done for a couple hundred bucks

Your in the Middle of NASCAR country. Hit up the local dirt tracks and ask around. Those guys can pull/rebuild and reinstall a motor in a day and they can always use some extra cash to feed the hobby. There are something like 20 tracks between metro Nashville and Metro Knoxville to choose from.

What would be a fair price to pay to have an engine shop pull motor/trans and break down motor to ready block for machining?

How many hours should this take....if they run into no issues?

Location/Middle Tennessee. Motor is 440 and 727 Trans in 67 GTX.

Thanks.
So, do you want it done fast or done right. Think about it. With a torch and no consideration for damaged items probably 2 hours by time you remove the hood, drain the fluids, disconnect all tranny related items and the exhaust. Then there's the rad, power steering items, battery, harness fan and carb. Time to organize and store the parts and their associated fasteners. I'm not talking the floor here or an overcrowded work bench top. But in the real world, you need a hoist that'll go high enough to clear the rad support (or lower the car), undo the mounts unless your replacing them, and everything mentioned previously. Then of course the engine disassembly, once the tranny is uncoupled, and placing it on an engine stand. Final stage after pulling the engine should be about 2 hours with air tools. So I'd say 4 hours plus the cost of everything that gets damaged in the process or you discover is "fobar". Sometimes it's nice to have someone else take the heat for unnecessary damage. You be the judge.

If you remove, rebuild, and reinstall everything and have parts leftover, that just means you improved it by streamlining and lightening

They shop charged me $500.00 to pull my engine while it was repainted a few years go. I would assume $800.00 to $1,000.00 for the engine and transmission to be pulled.

I forgot to add that the $500.00 was to pull and replace the engine. So, $250.00 each way.

Last edited:
Yatzee said 2hrs with a torch and damage, sorry but that's a bit much I'd say ... maybe some of us just work faster and have all the necessary tools(not bad mouthing anyone! ) ... pulling an engine trans is a simple task, there are much harder things on a car to do .... like someone else said, 2 hrs to remove everything and have the engine on a stand.... and that's without damage and everything organized...... it comes down to skill set and tools, some of us do this for a living and some just for weekend fun ...

I pulled the engine and tranny myself with a neighbor. We already have an engine stand and a cherry picker. Still cost $1500 for the rebuild of both by a shop we know here. Michigan prices....

Unfortunately you'll probably be charged clock time, you're gonna pay the tech however long it takes him. Your best bet is to find a local buddy and do it yourselves .... you can have the engine/trans out in under an hour .....
Would not count on that if he has to ask.

I know a guy that lost the hemi in his Cuda parked in a parking lot in 15 minutes time. No torch was used and no damage to the car. They apparently knew what they were doing and how much time they had.

I know a guy that lost the hemi in his Cuda parked in a parking lot in 15 minutes time. No torch was used and no damage to the car. They apparently knew what they were doing and how much time they had.
Do tell more. I gotta hear this!

And to the OP, what is the worry, time? You and a buddy take all weekend and make it a fun, no pressure experience. You will look back on it one day and realize it wasnt bad after all. And you will learn alot. Don Taylors How To Rebuild Big Block Mopar Engines covers all this in the first chapter and is a must have for any B/RB guy.

Torn out with a fork lift?

Yes - be careful if you have a shop do the work. Get an honest ballpark quote for the job...ask me how I know. I decided to go with a well-reputed mopar shop to save me time and by the time it was over the price was outrageous and had hours of rework to do and stuff that was to be done that wasn't I'm still dealing with. There were two other shops I used as well and would friggin never go back to them or recommend them.

Auto Transport Service
Back