• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked cylinder?

Myasylum

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
In a bold effort to remove a nasty freeze plug I finally got it out! When I did I noticed what appeared to be corrosion, I picked at it with my finger nail and this is what I saw...

20220721_173836.jpg

Hard to tell just how deep that is but it is at the bottom of the cylinder. Is it using any coolant or getting in the oil?

Corrosion happens, time for serious system flush, OR a hot tank if engine out of car. If in car, maybe 2 or 3 flushes (with chemicals).

The engine is out of the car. I'm just hoping I didn't crack it banging around trying the get the freeze plug out. If I did I wouldn't know if it's using any coolant till I get it running again. But yes it's toward the bottom. I have the heads off and the piston doesn't go far enough down to see any cracks from the inside.

You would need to pull the pan and get the piston up to see that area.

To me that looks like there is a layer of corrosion scale that spalled off the cylinder wall probably due to what you did to the block. Clean that layer off and then you will be sure of what it really is.

I wouldn't worry about that. If the motor is out, get it boiled and look for a crack. That's not where I would expect one.

It needs torn down and taken to the machine shop, not something worth quessing. Let a professional do their job. If needed they can put a sleeve in the block, why chance building with a block you're not sure is solid - sonic test all the cylinders and if weak at the bottom at least hardblok short fill - know what you are dealing with - hope the best for you !

Auto Transport Service
Back