• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked fuel pump

Mike Szadaj

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Two blocks away from my house, my car died. It felt like I ran out of gas, but according to the fuel gauge, I had some in the car, although not much. I walked home, jumped in my daily driver, went and got gas, and poured it in the tank. The engine would run with fuel poured down the carb, but would not stay running. That made it obvious that the problem was with fuel. I grabbed the rubber fuel supply hose to the pump only to find that the pump had cracked off. I hated to call a tow truck to Tow the car two blocks. I went back home and took a 1 gallon plastic, gasoline, can and I attached fuel line to the air vent And then attached the other end of the hose to the inlet of the gas filter. By blowing into the spout of the gas, can I was able to fill the gas filter and carb bowl. I had to fill the filter two more times, but I got it home.

IMG_2427.jpeg

IMG_2428.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

Last edited:
Two blocks away from my house, my car died. It felt like I ran out of gas, but according to the fuel gauge, I had some in the car, although not much. I walked home, jumped in my daily driver, went and got gas, and poured it in the tank. The engine would run with fuel poured down the carb, but would not stay running. That made it obvious that the problem was with fuel. I grabbed the rubber fuel supply hose to the pump only to find that the pump had cracked off. I hated to call a tow truck to Tow the car two blocks. I went back home and took a 1 gallon plastic, gasoline, can and I attached fuel line to the air vent And then attached the other end of the hose to the inlet of the gas filter. By blowing into the spout of the gas, can I was able to fill the gas filter and carb bowl. I had to fill the filter two more times, but I got it home.

View attachment 1526538

View attachment 1526539

View attachment 1526540
:BangHead: :BangHead:Never seen that happen before.

Great thinking and glad you got it home. :thumbsup:

Where there’s a will there’s a way I always say. Way to get it done!
:thumbsup:

Nicely done. I've never seen a pump break off like that. Dare I guess the country of origin.

Ive been waiting for my fuel pump to **** the bed. It can’t be a minute newer than 1977. That was the last time it was tagged until last year when I got it running again. Nice thinking with the gravity feed. They say the old fords were that way. Had to go backwards up steep inclines because the carb would get higher than the fuel level. Can anyone verify that?

Cracked. No, busted in two.

Ive been waiting for my fuel pump to **** the bed. It can’t be a minute newer than 1977. That was the last time it was tagged until last year when I got it running again. Nice thinking with the gravity feed. They say the old fords were that way. Had to go backwards up steep inclines because the carb would get higher than the fuel level. Can anyone verify that?
The older, the better. Hold onto it.

Ya, I got a new one on the shelf. I'm curious to see how far it actually will go. I thought it might be going south this weekend. I was getting a lean stumble. Turned out the HVac had a vacuum leak.
I am curious if Mikes was a Carter or another brand?

I did see that, once. As a youngster I had a 383 fall off the stand.

The new pump came in this morning. Took me a while to get the new one on. The repop vapor canisters are a real PITA. The little bracket that is used to attach it to one of the fuel pump bolts is nowhere near like the original bracket. At least on the one I bought. When I originally put the car together, I ended up cutting a piece of pipe to make a spacer, because the repop canister is impossible to put on as is.
To answer some earlier questions, the original that cracked has been on the car, five or six years. It was brand new when it was installed. You can see in this photo where it was made. I don’t remember the manufacturer

IMG_2432.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back