• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar Super Tricks...where are they?

Some guy started remaking the Supertricks a few years ago. The website and Facebook pages are gone so I assume he isn't doing them now.

Some guy started remaking the Supertricks a few years ago. The website and Facebook pages are gone so I assume he isn't doing them now.

All you old guys had them. LOL. I have had a couple of sets of the satin Centerline style over the years that have come on different cars. I always wanted to polish a set but never did. I have been seeing a lot up for sale these days but man, are they expensive.

I think when they polish them, they do it on the back side. That side is smooth. The fronts have ridges in them. Thanks for the add on the single wheel. Saw it, but won't help until I find another.

I had Crager SuperTricks Spun Aluminum versions
on most my old racecars, super light wheels, never an issue
they weren't meant for the street, they required a tube usually too...

I had a set of skinnies IIRC 15x4's Spun Alum. 2 pc. SuperTricks
with like 730/15 {5" VW tires} on my
68 Sport Sat. a BB 4 speed car "A12 clone sort of"
when driving around on the street, had them on for a while
it looked cool as hell for the period...
BUT;
pulling into my parents driveway
one night after work "a little too fast" but not crazy fast,
maybe 5mph, hit the edge & it was a minimal lip 1" maybe,
straight on too, not sideways or at an angle, entering the driveway !!
I didn't think it would happen, it was not some big old curb,
But bam/snap a big *** popping noise, it exploded the right front rim
split it almost 1/2 way around on the style line about 2"s
from the edge, if not for having a inner-tube,
it'd gone all the way to the ground...
I had to get a ride to my house & get another set of rims to get it home...
After that no more Spun alum. 2 pc. SuperTricks "on the street"
especially on heavier cars...

I had talked to Cragar about them too,
they said "they are NOT made to be street driven",
But they did make a different version SS/T for the street
that was Steel outer rim, with the alum centers/chrome &/or polished too...

Rim Crager Supertricks 70's vintage Advert. #2.png

Last edited:

after coming across that same info... that's why I sold mine off the '63 pictured,,mostly street driven..

Wow blast from the past. I had a set of the SS/T on my 71 RR. I traded a 413 inline dual 4 barrel intake and a Hurst shifter for them with tires/slicks back in the 80's. They were heavy

Unless permission was granted, he might have received a "love note" from Cragar's attorney to "cease and desist", hence the reason his web site disappeared. Just a thought...

I run some Bogart wheels that are almost identical to the Cragar Super tricks. What is really rare is the original Super Trick lug nuts that were made out of aluminum. Directions clearly stated to tighten them frequently. NHRA banned them.

Unless permission was granted, he might have received a "love note" from Cragar's attorney to "cease and desist", hence the reason his web site disappeared. Just a thought...
I was heavily involved in NHRA Racing from about 1971 thru 1978. I was in charge of FENTON WHEEL NHRA MAJOR SPONSOR PROGRAM.
Our Fenton 15x3.5 front runner aluminum wheel was the front wheel of choice for 98% of all NHRA racers until Cragar came out with the Super Trick (S/T). They were very lightweight and became the new wheel of choice for almost all of the NHRA racers.
Interesting thing is I searched Ebay, etc and the FENTON 15x3.5 aluminum front runner wheels are now selling for several, several hundred dollar EACH.
WOW, I gave away (to NHRA racers) in excess of 1000 of those wheels during our NHRA racing program days.

Mike, I remember the Fenton's well. Tricks were light but they could crack & seemed like they needed regular attention. The Motor Wheel Fly's were even lighter than Tricks as I recall.

Mike, I remember the Fenton's well. Tricks were light but they could crack & seemed like they needed regular attention. The Motor Wheel Fly's were even lighter than Tricks as I recall.
In defense of the FENTON wheel....with being Senior Vice President and General Manager of FENTON WHEELS during our heyday years of NHRA Major Sponsor Program I did not have ONE REPORT of the 15x3.5 front runner aluminum slot wheel failing. They were one piece cast aluminum construction and strong and heck and passed all of the SEMA 5-1a specs and were suitable for street use also.
The CRAGAR Super Tricks could have had failings, I do not know. They were a spun aluminum wheel manufactured as the outer half and then the inner half and then riveted together. The did not pass the SEMA 5-1a testing specs because they could not pass the "cornering test", but were plenty strong for straight line drag racing.
Motor Wheel Corp came out with the "FLY" which was actually probably the very best front wheel for drag racing during the later years but they had no real visible NHRA Major Sponsor Program with Contingency Prize Money, etc., etc so they did not get a big following. Motor Wheel Corp was probably 10x bigger company than either Cragar, Fenton, Keystone, et.

In defense of the FENTON wheel....with being Senior Vice President and General Manager of FENTON WHEELS during our heyday years of NHRA Major Sponsor Program I did not have ONE REPORT of the 15x3.5 front runner aluminum slot wheel failing. They were one piece cast aluminum construction and strong and heck and passed all of the SEMA 5-1a specs and were suitable for street use also.
The CRAGAR Super Tricks could have had failings, I do not know. They were a spun aluminum wheel manufactured as the outer half and then the inner half and then riveted together. The did not pass the SEMA 5-1a testing specs because they could not pass the "cornering test", but were plenty strong for straight line drag racing.
Motor Wheel Corp came out with the "FLY" which was actually probably the very best front wheel for drag racing during the later years but they had no real visible NHRA Major Sponsor Program with Contingency Prize Money, etc., etc so they did not get a big following. Motor Wheel Corp was probably 10x bigger company than either Cragar, Fenton, Keystone, et.

Mike, just to clarify, I meant the Tricks had some reported reliability issues & I remember Tricks as bolted while Centerlines were riveted and DOT legal & heavier than Tricks. I ran both of those brands. I never actually had the Fenton's, but they sure were popular.

I had Crager SuperTricks Spun Aluminum versions
on most my old racecars, super light wheels, never an issue
they weren't meant for the street, they required a tube usually too...

I had a set of skinnies IIRC 15x4's Spun Alum. 2 pc. SuperTricks
with like 730/15 {5" VW tires} on my
68 Sport Sat. a BB 4 speed car "A12 clone sort of"
when driving around on the street, had them on for a while
it looked cool as hell for the period...
BUT;
pulling into my parents driveway
one night after work "a little too fast" but not crazy fast,
maybe 5mph, hit the edge & it was a minimal lip 1" maybe,
straight on too, not sideways or at an angle, entering the driveway !!
I didn't think it would happen, it was not some big old curb,
But bam/snap a big *** popping noise, it exploded the right front rim
split it almost 1/2 way around on the style line about 2"s
from the edge, if not for having a inner-tube,
it'd gone all the way to the ground...
I had to get a ride to my house & get another set of rims to get it home...
After that no more Spun alum. 2 pc. SuperTricks "on the street"
especially on heavier cars...

But they did make a different version SS/T for the street
that was Steel outer rim, with the alum centers/chrome &/or polished too...

View attachment 569626
The street version ( SS/T) of the S/T had a regular chrome plated steel rim and the center was cast from aluminum with 5 steel "cleats" cast into the perimeter of that cast center and then the center was welded into the steel rim. The perimeter bolt's were fake, cosmetic only.

The street version ( SS/T) of the S/T had a regular chrome plated steel rim and the center was cast from aluminum with 5 steel "cleats" cast into the perimeter of that cast center and then the center was welded into the steel rim. The perimeter bolt's were fake, cosmetic only.
Mike, I have had the same 4 Super Tricks on my GTX since the early 70's and like Budnicks, never an issue. I remember taking them out of the box and there was a tape decal stating they were for racing purposes only and not for street use. Due too the spun aluminum construction they lacked lateral strength and couldn't tolerate the side stress. It took a few months to receive the 10 inch width with the proper back spacing required for my GTX. Also I never used tubes in the front runners.:moparsmiley:

Wow blast from the past. I had a set of the SS/T on my 71 RR. I traded a 413 inline dual 4 barrel intake and a Hurst shifter for them with tires/slicks back in the 80's. They were heavy

Real supertricks weren`t heavy ! Were very lite ! I had a set, they weren`t even street legal .

Ya, the Street Super Tricks were nothing like original Super Tricks. The SS/T's are a heavy street wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back