• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar Super Tricks...where are they?

These are cleaned-up originals on my WO, that were nearly mint. I was very careful not to strip the original anodize. Your wheels look great, and will be have to be polished anyways, if you want the look that's on the Aspen.

View attachment 703723

View attachment 703724
—-
Your wheels look fantastic! My fronts are close to as nice as yours but these rears didn’t make the grade without surgery.

FrustrationGrippoSuperTrick.jpg
Finally got a complete set. Now I'm looking for some 3 1/2" fronts to polish for my Road Runner. Got the rears. Joe Grippo photo

View attachment 704783 Finally got a complete set. Now I'm looking for some 3 1/2" fronts to polish for my Road Runner. Got the rears. Joe Grippo photo
---
Boy do those wheels work on your 63! And they look to be in terrific shape too. Finding a couple of fronts won't take too long but the problem is that guys just hang onto these wheels. My rears came from an estate sale..

Got another pair of fronts, yesterday. Friends bring them to me, now.

Thanks for posting the ad. I need a pair of polished fronts. Adding polished rears for the Road Runner. I have a friend with satin finished 3 1/2" fronts. He'll sell them, but I'll need to polish them or have them polished. They have some light pitting on one wheel. Is that repairable?

Thanks for posting the ad. I need a pair of polished fronts. Adding polished rears for the Road Runner. I have a friend with satin finished 3 1/2" fronts. He'll sell them, but I'll need to polish them or have them polished. They have some light pitting on one wheel. Is that repairable?
---
One of my rear wheels had some pitting too. The majority of it came out but some pits are still slightly visible. Chances are that the pits you're seeing might not all come out, it's going to depend how deep they are.

I've seen polished fronts come up on ebay time to time.

Just a food for thought. Don't want to upset any apple carts.....BUT... Cragar Super Tricks are 2 spun (or forged ?) aluminum halves bolted together. After almost 50 years of life can they suffer any metal fatigue ? Can they be xrayed for any fatigue cracks.
Note: See my answer below

Last edited:
Just a food for thought. Don't want to upset any apple carts.....BUT...can Cragar Super Tricks are 2 spun aluminum halves bolted together. After almost 50 years of life can they suffer any metal fatigue ? Can they be xrayed for any fatigue cracks.
---
Gonna find out.

I saw a guy trying to sell some rears at the last swap I went to. They were cracked at the lug holes. My friend asked him how he could sell junk and dangerous **** like that. He just shrugged. As a rule...The polished ones don't bring the money that the satin finished[nice ones] do. It's contrary to all the time and effort involved.....but most guys are looking for the spun finish. I gotta go thru all mine, and start to sort out the ones I need, or need to assemble. I'm just so busy with car assemblies/builds.....

I saw a guy trying to sell some rears at the last swap I went to. They were cracked at the lug holes. My friend asked him how he could sell junk and dangerous **** like that. He just shrugged. As a rule...The polished ones don't bring the money that the satin finished[nice ones] do. It's contrary to all the time and effort involved.....but most guys are looking for the spun finish. I gotta go thru all mine, and start to sort out the ones I need, or need to assemble. I'm just so busy with car assemblies/builds.....
As I have shared before I was in the Custom Wheel Manufacturing Business for some 20 years, but in Sales & Marketing. My good friend was Plant Manager at my Company and 2 other custom wheel manufacturing companies. He is quite familiar with Centerline AutoDrags and Cragar SuperTricks. He confirmed with me that after 50 years of age and drag race use that both of those type of wheels are susceptible to fatigue cracks. He reports to me that the good news is that they can put thru a "Zyglo" process, similar to Magnafluxing steel but for aluminum. It will show any fatigue/stress cracks. He shared with me that if a shop knows what they are doing that they could possibly be repaired by using a die grinder and "V" cutting the crack and heliarcing them back up...and again, only if it is a reputable shop that has that experience.
One piece permanent mold CAST aluminum wheels are not susceptible to such cracking. Some custom aluminum wheels were DIE CAST and are much thinner than the permanent mold aluminum wheels and could be susceptible to age cracking. The American Racing Torque Thrust Wheels and similar manufactured
deep dish slotted
wheels are one piece permanent mold CAST aluminum wheels.

Best part was....5 lug wheels. Early and rarer.

Just saw on Facebook that Bogart Racing Wheels is making a wheel now that looks very close to Super Tricks. I pulled the image off their facebook page, looks good to me!

51480986_3033258990033346_3957613313004666880_n_zpsosbhhvpn.jpg

They look pretty nice......My Bogart wheels were flimsy. They seriously bent up. Both wheels, inside and outside lips.

2u5gdit.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back